Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Can't see where we are going to get golds from now apart from ladies cycling? Equestrian maybe. Medal total and placing well down on last two Olympics. 
    We have won more golds today than we have in some whole Olympics, its not even lunch time yet! 
    My point being we are behind the 67 and 65 medals we got in 2016  and 2012 where we finished 3rd & 2nd respectively. 27 golds in 2016 & 29 in 2012.

We have come up short in rowing, cycling and athletics this time around. 
    Seems like in rowing and cycling we are in a transition period.

Add in the fact that everyone is saying how this olympics has been a strange one due to Covid. Medals going all over the place that don’t usually get them.
  • Options
    We need some blokes in skirts to be competitive moving forward  o:)
  • Options
    These games are very much the Covid Olympics. Some people freeze in front of a packed stadium and some are inspired to greatness.
    With no crowd, the dynamics are so different.

Usain Bolt with no crowd would have struggled to be such a showman.

Pleased they managed to get these games on but a vital piece of the drama was missing: The crowd.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    We need some blokes in skirts to be competitive moving forward  o:)

Is Tossing the Caber going to be added as an Olympic sport for Paris 2024 ?
    There will be Jocks ripping up trees to get into that team.
  • Options
    Great fun watching Sky Brown this morning. A lot of adults wouldn’t have performed that well after falling twice earlier. Brilliant performance in her final run. 
  • Options
    That new track is ridiculously quick
  • Options
    Advances like this will also make it a lot more difficult to do like for like comparisons between runners who ran in different generations etc. I know it's impossible but it would be great if we could judge people past and present on an equal basis, which we just can't.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Advances like this will also make it a lot more difficult to do like for like comparisons between runners who ran in different generations etc. I know it's impossible but it would be great if we could judge people past and present on an equal basis, which we just can't.
    I guess all you can do is judge how far ahead of their contemporaries people were.
  • Options
    What a disastrous Olympics for the British Olympics team, Asher-Smith, Gemili and KJT all injured
  • Options
    Gold in the show jumping for Explosion W

A great horse with a silly name
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great stuff by Ben Maher and Explosion W. Another gold for the team.
  • Options
    Bruce Springsteen's daughter is competing for the USA in the equestrian events. Didn't ;medal' in the individual, still going in the team event
  • Options
    Bruce Springsteen's daughter is competing for the USA in the equestrian events. Didn't ;medal' in the individual, still going in the team event

So is everyone, it hasn't started yet. 
  • Options
    A shame she isn't an athlete, as then she would be Born to Run
  • Options
    she's tougher than the rest with a hungry heart, hoping to bring back the glory days
  • Options
    So Bruce Springsteen, Mark Kinsella and Fred Sirieix all have daughters competing at these Olympics, not 3 people who often share the same sentence
  • Options
    Hard to get too patriotic about someone who's spent their entire life in the US or Japan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57998750
    Don't really understand why she's representing GB - seems to have far more connection to the US or Japan.
  • Options
    Hard to get too patriotic about someone who's spent their entire life in the US or Japan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57998750
    Don't really understand why she's representing GB - seems to have far more connection to the US or Japan.
    Reading that has taken the shine off of it for me, real shame, I wish I didn't know to be honest! 

Happy for her though, it's a great achievement.

I get that in team sports with big money etc someone with a tenuous link to a country can play and it still feels amazing, but for the olympics, I feel like it is slightly more amateur and people, especially in individual competitions, should have much more of a link...
  • Options
    Can't see where we are going to get golds from now apart from ladies cycling? Equestrian maybe. Medal total and placing well down on last two Olympics. 

Not really....might trail off, but pretty successful by Day 12.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aussies not covering themselves in glory.
    Times article

Australian Olympians are under investigation after complaints that they had caused chaos on a flight home from Japan, with “excessively drunk” behaviour, vomiting and raids on the plane’s stocks of alcohol.

Japan Airlines sent a written complaint to the Australian Olympic Committee following “obnoxious” and allegedly unsafe behaviour on the ten-hour flight carrying the country’s rugby and football teams, Australia’s 7 News reported.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/other-sport/sky-brown-who-is-the-team-gb-skateboarder-where-is-sky-brown-from-and-why-is-she-competing-for-great-britain-3333745

“Rather than compete for Japan, Brown opted to skate for Team GB due to feeling that the British Skateboarding Association would place less pressure on the star than the team’s Japanese counterpart.”
  • Options
    Just been watching the skate boarding.
    Hung on for 15 minutes or so trying like hell to get into it……what a complete fucking boring waste of time that was!
  • Options
    Gold in the show jumping for Explosion W

A great horse with a silly name
    Yes, a strange name for such a beautiful looking animal….as horses go, he’s as as perfectly formed and turned out as it gets.
    I could spend a good hour or two just watching him wandering around a pasture.

• Options
    Just been watching the skate boarding.
    Hung on for 15 minutes or so trying like hell to get into it……what a complete fucking boring waste of time that was!
    I tried watching a bit last night because of Sky Brown but I managed three skates, absolutely awful. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Just watched this clip 

Firstly how is that an Olympic sport 

Secondly how is that worthy of a bronze medal, no offence to the girl but it looks like something you see down the skatepark lol

Obviously its a great achievement for a kid at her age.

maybe im just missing something because skateboarding isnt my thing, so there is a technical thing i have missed lol

Also im still bitter that the likes of skateboarding is in the Olympics and snooker is still overlooked, which is ridiculous 
  • Options
    Fair play to her given the battles she had to get there.

In May last year, Brown fell from a ramp in training, fracturing her skull, breaking her left arm and wrist and suffering lacerations to her heart and lungs.

Brown also tumbled before her Olympic qualifier, breaking her arm, but came first while wearing a protective cast.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    Good to see all the grown men digging out a 13-year-old olympic medal winner.
    Who is? I don't think anyone is digging her out (I'm assuming you mean being horrible to, and not the definition I always had in my head for that phrase... I hope :D )...

The sport of skateboarding in general, or the fact that she has a very minor link to the country she has represented, sure, but I haven't seen anyone say anything mean about her, quite the opposite in fact. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The USA, with three of the fastest 100m runners in the World this year and favourites to win the relay, failed to even qualify for the Final. This will go down well at home!