Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Since when was acknowledging male pubity is a thing bigotry?  Classic you don't agree with me so your a bigot.

If only there was another thread where this could be debated to death..... Again. 
    Agree with what? You mean you don’t agree Laurel Hubbard has crashed out of the olympics? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Since when was acknowledging male pubity is a thing bigotry?  Classic you don't agree with me so your a bigot.

If only there was another thread where this could be debated to death..... Again. 
    Agree with what? You mean you don’t agree Laurel Hubbard has crashed out of the olympics? 
    You know full well what I am talking about.  No need to be more obtuse then you already are. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You know full well what I am talking about.  No need to be more obtuse then you already are. 
    I have no idea what you’re talking about, if you’re going to get upset about something at least communicate it clearly please. 
  • really noticing the lack of coverage the BBC can show now - it's just basically a chat show with some highlights thrown in.

where as the 10 Eurosport channels are showing everything, it's brilliant.

I'm loving the Handball
    The BBC could still have shown the whole race or at least the last 2 laps, as it wasn't as if most viewers already knew the result.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about, if you’re going to get upset about something at least communicate it clearly please. 
    I am not upset about anything pal. 
  • McBobbin said:

Would have got nowhere near the men's olympics which kind of proves the point.  No born female would qualify for the male weightlifting events because of the inherent physiological differences that go deeper than hormone and testosterone.  

I sympathise for Hubbard and I am sure she did not want to be thrust into the media spotlight but have far greater sympathy for women who have been hugely and unfairly disadvantaged and missed out on the olympics because of Hubbard's unfair advantage inherent of being born in a male body.
    How do you know that for a fact? 

She is training just as hard as all the other female weightlifters around the world. If she did have an unfair advantage she would win. 

There a huge amount of stories about how men not at world-level quality manage to beat world-level females. Surely if Laurel was getting so much advantage, she'd do the same after training 24/7 for the event? 
    How on earth do you deduce that 'if she had an unfair advantage she would have won'? That is ridiculous logic. She has an unfair advantage but still didn't win.

Let's see how many 40 year old biological females are competing at the Olympics
    In terms of weightlifting, it's only been an Olympic sport since 2000. (Women's that is). 

So no woman in her 40s grew up watching female weightlifters on tv and it didn't really exist as a career path. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Laurel Hubbard out of the olympics you say? But what happened to her walking all over the competition because of the gender she was born as? 😂😂😂😂😂😂 some people on here have made themselves look silly and bigoted! 

She got there in the first place by virtue of the physiological advantages afforded by being born a man added to a background of competitive weight lifting to the detriment of elite women lifters who lack that inherent advantage.

It's wholly unfair to those women and nothing about bigotry or ignorance.

There is real bigotry in sneering at those who dare to question the fairness and legitimacy of these new ideas that we are all expected to believe unquestionably or be deemed bigots.

Very 1984.

In weight lifting terms she fell at the very first hurdle. So is it an inherent advantage or not? Because the results seem to tell me otherwise.

Theres real bigotry on not admitting making a ridiculous judgement before seeing the results, then reframing the debate as something else so you don’t look like you were wrong and bigoted from the beginning. “We have always been at war with eastasia”. Very 1984 indeed. 

Bottom line...I don't think it is fair or equitable in the interests of sport that people who spend the vast majority of their life as men before identifying as women be able to compete on a level playing field with women who have been born women and nothing about Hubbard's performance has provided evidence to the contrary.  

Many people appear to be of this view despite it unfairly imo raising calls of being transphobic, bigoted etc.

Most people have tried to be very respectful and sensitive in articulating this view from what I've read on here and the other thread that was on this weeks ago so as to not offend or be hurtful to anyone who may  be trans and have a constructive debate.

However comments like yours above with the emojis levelled at implying that anyone who has a view on trans issues that impact the mainstream that doesn't chime with what has been decided by a minority to be the "truth" are bigots is very unconstructive and sneering.  

Just because Hubbard didn't wipe the floor is not to say she has no unfair advantage from the outset over those athletes she beat in qualifying.

I'll not hijack the thread on this debate but it's not likely to change peoples' minds by being scornful and sneering, particularly when the example you have cited is inconclusive to the point being debated.

She didn't just not wipe the floor, she failed miserably. So where was the advantage? 
  • Loved the women's hockey team - fantastic performance, and the keeper did us proud. Netherlands next, come on ladies!
  • Shocking goalkeeping again in the women’s football decides the game.
  • Rounders on BBC1 now
  • What a sensational comeback and win for Japan vs USA in Baseball.
  • Love a bit of baseball. That was highly entertaining.
  • Just watched the Emily Campbell lift. What a girl.
  • So the two Namibian athletes were ruled out of the 400m cos they have too much testosterone but are allowed to go in the 200m. What’s that all about?

Very strange rules.

CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- Two 18-year-old female runners from Namibia won't be allowed to run in the 400 meters at the Tokyo Olympics after medical tests showed they have high natural testosterone levels.

That makes them ineligible under the same contentious rules that have sidelined South Africa's Caster Semenya.

The Namibian Olympic committee said Friday that the two runners, Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi, had been withdrawn from the 400.

They will now "focus their full attention" on the 200 meters, Namibia's athletics federation said.

World Athletics' testosterone rules only apply to events between 400 meters and one mile.

• Laurel Hubbard out of the olympics you say? But what happened to her walking all over the competition because of the gender she was born as? 😂😂😂😂😂😂 some people on here have made themselves look silly and bigoted! 

She got there in the first place by virtue of the physiological advantages afforded by being born a man added to a background of competitive weight lifting to the detriment of elite women lifters who lack that inherent advantage.

There is real bigotry in sneering at those who dare to question the fairness and legitimacy of these new ideas that we are all expected to believe unquestionably or be deemed bigots.

Very 1984.

In weight lifting terms she fell at the very first hurdle. So is it an inherent advantage or not? Because the results seem to tell me otherwise.

Theres real bigotry on not admitting making a ridiculous judgement before seeing the results, then reframing the debate as something else so you don’t look like you were wrong and bigoted from the beginning. “We have always been at war with eastasia”. Very 1984 indeed. 

Bottom line...I don't think it is fair or equitable in the interests of sport that people who spend the vast majority of their life as men before identifying as women be able to compete on a level playing field with women who have been born women and nothing about Hubbard's performance has provided evidence to the contrary.  

Many people appear to be of this view despite it unfairly imo raising calls of being transphobic, bigoted etc.

Most people have tried to be very respectful and sensitive in articulating this view from what I've read on here and the other thread that was on this weeks ago so as to not offend or be hurtful to anyone who may  be trans and have a constructive debate.

However comments like yours above with the emojis levelled at implying that anyone who has a view on trans issues that impact the mainstream that doesn't chime with what has been decided by a minority to be the "truth" are bigots is very unconstructive and sneering.  

Just because Hubbard didn't wipe the floor is not to say she has no unfair advantage from the outset over those athletes she beat in qualifying.

I'll not hijack the thread on this debate but it's not likely to change peoples' minds by being scornful and sneering, particularly when the example you have cited is inconclusive to the point being debated.

She didn't just not wipe the floor, she failed miserably. So where was the advantage? 
    In getting there at the expense of other Kiwi Women?

let’s see how our weightlifter does in the Olympics when she is 43 
  • Oh for the old days...  Each Eastern European female athlete checked for a pair of bollocks before the "On your marks..."
    I recall Tamara Press retiring just before sex verification tests were introduced in 66.  She was unbeatable in the discus and shot put and held 11 world records. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rather poor coverage of the athletics then. Yes the BBC is restricted, but weird that on the main channel they only showed 10 seconds of the 3000m steeplechase
    But they find time to show an interview with Megan Rapinoe and woffle about her
    "World champions fail to show up" is a story worth reporting.
  • Rather poor coverage of the athletics then. Yes the BBC is restricted, but weird that on the main channel they only showed 10 seconds of the 3000m steeplechase
    Was the same with the 100m  :/

that is only a 10 second race though tbf
    I see your 'tbf' and raise you a 'Whoosh'.
    This would of been a much better wind up if you’d posted it an hour ago. You missed your chance.
    That would have been a much better riposte if you hadn't written 'would of'.
    But they find time to show an interview with Megan Rapinoe and woffle about her
    "World champions fail to show up" is a story worth reporting.
    That was all before the showed the match though

Very 1984.

Do you mean by 'those athletes she beat in qualifying' those she beat to get picked for NZ?  If so, you've missed the fact that no others in NZ reached the qualifying standard.

Very 1984.

Of course there’s an advantage, it’s a matter of science, just obviously not big enough to ensure she won.
  • MrOneLung said:
    I could start the 100m final 20m ahead of the rest of the field. 

I have an unfair advantage but I still wouldn’t win. 
    Presumably SELR & Kent disagree, wibble.
  • Charlton are at home to Man C in the cup, so Charlton have an advantage known as home advantage.
    According to the logic of a couple of people if Charlton don't win there was no advantage.
    It's hard to understand how some people's brains don't work.
    Do you mean you dont think we would win ffs ? 🤭🤭