Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Face masks at sporting events after July 19th

Comments

• Doubt it's true.
  • Addickted said:
    Doubt it's true.

Especially when they have said the risk of catching it in outside spaces is absolutely tiny. 
  • Seems odd after all the games at Wembley and Wimbledon with no masks, that masks would then be brought in from next week. 
  • The news comes just days after Wembley hosted a jam-packed Euro 2020 final

Vaccine passports and face masks are set to be required for entry into sporting events in England after July 19th.

London's Wembley Stadium played host to numerous Euro 2020 fixtures, including both semi-finals and the final.

Face coverings and proof of vaccination were not needed in order to gain entry, and social distancing measures were hardly enforced at all.

However, and quite confusingly, this could be set to change after 'Freedom Day' on July 19th, when the latest round of coronavirus restrictions are set to be lifted.

Rather than take masks off, fans seeking entry into sporting events in England may be asked to keep them on.

You may also need proof of having had a Covid vaccination to gain entry.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has already said that large sporting venues have a duty to adopt such measures, "as a matter of social responsibility".

Sporting bodies have previously criticised the government's stance on the safe reopening of live events.

However, in order to remain open for the foreseeable future, and in particular during the winter when new restrictions may come into force, federations may be left with no choice but to adopt those suggested by the government from July 19th.

Speaking to Telegraph Sport, a government official said: "We are going to strongly encourage sports to use it [advice regarding vaccine passports and face coverings].

"Through guidance, we will be encouraging the use of masks. Certainly, an event organiser can put it as a condition of entry."

Although it's unclear which sporting competitions will be pressured to adopt the new rules, the government official told The Telegraph: "I think most Premier League and EFL clubs will be."

One particular measure already in place in certain venues is staggered entry times. Piloted for use with weekend football and rugby internationals, this is likely to be less effective for mid-week Premier League and EFL games.

A Premier League source told The Telegraph it would present "a challenge" for supporters having to alter decades-old routines.

• What’s a Covid passport and where can I buy one ?
  • This could be really interesting if it’s true. 

Whilst not ideal I would wear a mask and show my Covid passport.

However, how Will this work in principal I am not prepared to be at the ground 90 minutes before kick off every week. When fans were allowed in to the games last season they gave people set times but these were not checked.

It would not be fair to give fans times to arrive unless they are going to rotate I would be fuming if I was told to arrive at 1:30 every week whilst others could arrive at 2:30. This would also be a logistical nightmare for the club

midweek games would also be a nightmare with people having to come from work. 

My understanding would be as there are no restrictions you will turn up at the turnstiles as per covid. 
  • Am I  right  in assuming that the "passport" would be the card that people got when getting the injections ?
    In which case, what is stopping people who have had neither or one jab just taking someone else's card ?
  • Am I  right  in assuming that the "passport" would be the card that people got when getting the injections ?
    In which case, what is stopping people who have had neither or one jab just taking someone else's card ?
    Imagine it would be the app (maybe the card for those without smartphones). 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Covid Passport is presumably the App giving confirmation of vaccine status, or a letter from the GP/NHS website confirming your status

The whole thing sounds confusing, especially as it's not legally enforced anyway. It would be really odd for an outdoor sports venue to have stricter rules than the public transport you use to get there or the local pubs.
  • ^^ this, small price to pay.
    Imagine it would be the app (maybe the card for those without smartphones). 
    I believe you can request a letter by phoning 119 or via the NHS website.
    It’s the app, but NHS also provide a paper version on application

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

• I've on just had my first jab. If I'm to wait the full 12 weeks between jabs that means I'll miss games I've already paid for with my season ticket 
  • I've on just had my first jab. If I'm to wait the full 12 weeks between jabs that means I'll miss games I've already paid for with my season ticket 
    I'm going to have to do a walk up one to avoid this, earliest date I can book is 8th. 
  • Thanks for the answers/replies. 
    I ask because I forgot to take my card for the 2nd jab and was given a 2nd card: So the 1st one gave my name and date, the 2nd one just the information of date and type of vaccination. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Everybody particularly in the younger age groups won't have had the opportunity to be double vaccinated (2 weeks before to be effective). Proof of a negative lateral flow test must be given as an option. This system did work well at Lords on Saturday and Edgbaston a couple of weeks ago. 
    It would however involve the club employing more people to check these.
  • Thanks @stonemuse
    Even a luddite like me could do that.
  • Thanks @stonemuse
    Even a luddite like me could do that.
    No probs mate 
  • shine166 said:
    Got mine for the halftime bog visit 
    Do you have a rolled up £10 note version ? 
    as it happens  :)
  • redman said:
    Everybody particularly in the younger age groups won't have had the opportunity to be double vaccinated (2 weeks before to be effective). Proof of a negative lateral flow test must be given as an option. This system did work well at Lords on Saturday and Edgbaston a couple of weeks ago. 
    And if the government is mentioning the EFL, what about the National League (not much difference in crowd numbers between many L2 and NL clubs) or rugby or cricket etc

It was dead easy for me, just showing my Covid App proof at Lord's on Saturday, and most people might accept getting a lateral flow test for a one off "big " event, but it would be a massive pain in the arse and expensive if people without both jabs had to do that for every game. 
  • redman said:
    Everybody particularly in the younger age groups won't have had the opportunity to be double vaccinated (2 weeks before to be effective). Proof of a negative lateral flow test must be given as an option. This system did work well at Lords on Saturday and Edgbaston a couple of weeks ago. 
    And if the government is mentioning the EFL, what about the National League (not much difference in crowd numbers between many L2 and NL clubs) or rugby or cricket etc

It was dead easy for me, just showing my Covid App proof at Lord's on Saturday, and most people might accept getting a lateral flow test for a one off "big " event, but it would be a massive pain in the arse and expensive if people without both jabs had to do that for every game. 
    Why would it be expensive ?
    It’s 8 weeks not 12.
  • So will it be a case of nightclubs back open but you have to wear a mask outside while watching the football?
  • iainment said:
    I hope it’s true. It’s ridiculous that any large gathering indoors or out could go ahead without masks.
    I hope it’s true too but when you read the post above, it does make it seem a bit pointless