Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated squad list - 13 July 2021

2»

Comments

• Options
    Is this how we expect to start Sheff Wednesday game?

MacGillivray

Matthews, Innis, Famewo, Gunter

Dobson, Clare

Jaiyesimi, Morgan, Washington 

Stockley

Subs: Harness, Roddy, Pearce, Watson, Gilbey, Clayden, Davison

Strong XI, fairly happy with Gunter at LB but not ideal.  Do worry for us if we go a goal down with this current bench it has to be said, but overall a good XI.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Would be surprised to see Gilbey on the bench against Sheffield Wednesday

Reckon Barker for Roddy
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Would be surprised to see Gilbey on the bench against Sheffield Wednesday

Reckon Barker for Roddy
    I only think Roddy over Barker because we have no left back at all otherwise but yeah could be either.  Possibly Ghandour over Clayden too.

I thought Gilbey had Covid and was recovering is there an injury issue too?
  • Options
    Gilbey seems way off returning. Watson has only just returned to training, so I doubt he'll be on the bench for a while
  • Options
    Is this how we expect to start Sheff Wednesday game?

MacGillivray

Dobson, Clare

Stockley

Subs: Harness, Roddy, Pearce, Watson, Gilbey, Clayden, Davison

Strong XI, fairly happy with Gunter at LB but not ideal.  Do worry for us if we go a goal down with this current bench it has to be said, but overall a good XI.

Points noted but I think Watson will just make it and be on the bench as a bit of a voice for the youngsters and probably won’t get used:

MacGillivray

Dobson, Clare

Stockley

Subs: Harness, Roddy, Pearce, Watson, Vennings, Clayden, Davison

Injured: Purrington, JFC

Not fit: Gilbey, Schwartz 

Unavailable: AMB

• Options
    edited July 2021
    How are people feeling about the shape of the squad just over a week from the new season?

Positives:

- our first XI should be strong and capable of beating most teams in L1

- I think some of the business we’ve done has been very encouraging. Getting Stockley & Famewo back was crucial and both should be top performers in this division. Clare looks decent (based on his performance against Reading) and should make us more dynamic in that deeper position than we were with Pratley/Watson last season. 

- I think MacGillivray is an upgrade on Amos and should mean fewer goals let in from crazy distances. There are some players who should hardly be professionals that scored 30 yard screamers against us last season, hopefully those days are over.

- Jaiyesimi looks really up for it, him and Washington could be a really potent combination on either side of Stockley

- Davison really looks like he’s stepped up, not ready to start but certainly looks like he’s ready to contend for minutes - feels like a new signing. 

- Deji & Clayden look like a great prospects, again don’t think they’ll be starting many games and a loan spell might make sense for the first half of the season. 

Areas to improve:

- overall depth of the squad is a concern. If we pick up high numbers of injuries as we have over the past few seasons it won’t be long until we’re throwing in some of the youngsters that I’ve said aren’t ready above 

- I still think we have a Chuks shaped hold in the squad. Replacing his double figures tally will be very tough, but I’m not sure we’ve really tried. We pretty much have the same strike force as last season minus Aneke, who scored more goals than anyone else. 

Overall I think we’re in fairly good shape, but need another couple of permanent signings plus the deluge of Premier League youngsters on loan. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    How are people feeling about the shape of the squad just over a week from the new season?

Positives:

- I think some of the business we’ve done has been very encouraging. Getting Stockley & Famewo back was crucial and both should be top performers in this division. Clare looks decent (based on his performance against Reading) and should make us more dynamic in that deeper position than we were with Pratley/Watson last season. 

- I think MacGillivray is an upgrade on Amos and should mean fewer goals let in from crazy distances. There are some players who should hardly be professionals that scored 30 yard screamers against us last season, hopefully those days are over.

- Jaiyesimi looks really up for it, him and Washington could be a really potent combination on either side of Stockley

- Davison really looks like he’s stepped up, not ready to start but certainly looks like he’s ready to contend for minutes - feels like a new signing. 

- Deji & Clayden look like a great prospects, again don’t think they’ll be starting many games and a loan spell might make sense for the first half of the season. 

Areas to improve:

- overall depth of the squad is a concern. If we pick up high numbers of injuries as we have over the past few seasons it won’t be long until we’re throwing in some of the youngsters that I’ve said aren’t ready above 

- I still think we have a Chuks shaped hold in the squad. Replacing his double figures tally will be very tough, but I’m not sure we’ve really tried. We pretty much have the same strike force as last season minus Aneke, who scored more goals than anyone else. 

Overall I think we’re in fairly good shape, but need another couple of permanent signings plus the deluge of Premier League youngsters on loan. 
    Think that's a very balanced view and I agree with near all of it - though I'm sure they'll be people coming in after this to tell you that Davison is totally pony and MacGillivray was at fault for both goals against Palace so may as well release him now. 

Only thing I'd emphasise here is that your first negative point is getting particularly worrying, literally a couple of injuries could totally derail our season at the minute, especially if it was Long-term to someone like Inniss.

However the season isn't started yet and I'm still very confident we'll sign at least 2 more permanents and the usual 4/5 loans before the window closes, then I think we could be in a really good place to contend for top 6, at a minimum.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Positives:

Areas to improve:

Good post.

I’m a lot happier than I was this time last season.  The XI that will start is definitely stronger than the XI last season.

Squad is thin absolutely but I think many are in the same position and the loan market will be key.

Our priorities are a LB, RCB, RF, LF.  And if there’s room a CM and a CF.

Its hard to judge which of the youngsters will be deemed part of the first team at this stage, will he gamble on Deji and Clayden or even Ghandour.  And will Davison step up.
  • Options
    When I wrote the above last week I was sort of expecting (hoping maybe) that one or two additional signings would have been made by now. We’re about 80 hours from the start of the season and I think the squad is a little light still. 

Full month of the transfer window to go, but we’ll be playing competitive games during that time and, with pre-season over, anyone coming in will need to hit the ground running.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Fortunately paid signings and loans will have had at least some of a pre-season under their belts. 

The free agents however may take a while. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bump

Bump

Bump

This has gone on long enough, extra bumps to force through 2/3 signings today.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Bump

Bump

Bump

This has gone on long enough, extra bumps to force through 2/3 signings today.
    Keep practicing your spelling of Madger Gomes 😉
  • Options
    I assume the handbook was part of the programme today? Can anyone confirm if any of the u23s shouldn't be on this list? And if anyone is missing?
  • Options
    Current under 23 squad 21/22

Nathan Harness GK
    Nathan Harvey GK

Charlie Barker Def
    Billy French   Def
    Aaron Henry  Mid
    Johl Powell    Mid
    Jeremy Santos Mid
    James Vennings Mid
    Lucas Ness Def
    Sam Oguntayo Def/Winger
    Jacob Roddy Def
    Terrell Agyeming Mid
    Euan Williams For
    Wassim Aouachria For
    Mason Burstow For
    Charles Clayden Winger
    Jimmy Appiah Mid
    Nazir Bakrin  Def
    Richard Chinn Mid
    Ben Dempsey  Mid
    Dylan Galvin  For
    Hady Ghandour  For 
    Ryan Viggars   For

• Options
    Thanks @clive, will compare tonight and then post the fully updated squad.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Is this right? What updates are needed? (From the dev squads have only removed Beadle)

• Options
    Deji signed up until 2024

Karoy Anderson has a pro deal until 2024 so should be added to the u23s

Harris O’Connor joined the u23s. Was originally in our academy before moving to Kilmarnock and Rangers

Ralfi Hand has a deal until 2023, not on the OS so assume it’s a youth contract and he’s in the u18s