Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup Willie

was the name of the official mascot in 1966 as I mentioned to mrs ltgtr when a guy was showing Sky news his memorabilia from back then. Today it sounds more like an infliction. Is there an official mascot for Euro 2020 ?

Comments

• Maybe the tiny car is this years mascot?
  • RedRyan said:
    Maybe the tiny car is this years mascot?
    Chris Powell surely?
  • Ageing skiffle star Lonnie Donegan was chosen to record the official '66 song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3btKkbZpU
  • Interesting to note that the chorus goes, "in his red, white and blue World Cup Willie"
    Also he is wearing the Union flag and not the English flag.
    If you check old footage you will see there were more Union flags than St. George's flags being waved by the crowd.
    People much more union orientated back in those days and proud to wave the Union flag.
    Became much less popular during the 70's when the Union flag became synonymous with the far right, racist National Front party.

• Mrs Otto will be getting Euro 2020 Willie if we win tomorrow. 
    Has she got someone booked?
  • Blucher said:
    Never mind a mascot, we need to bring back the Mexico 1970 World Cup Esso coins. That was also when Panini stickers made their debut
    I managed to collect the Euro 96 coin collection. Can quite remember if it was Sainsbury’s that we’re doing them. 
  • edited July 2021
    1966 world cup final on Channel 4 now. Second half just started if anyone interested other than me!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Interesting to note that the chorus goes, "in his red, white and blue World Cup Willie"
    If you check old footage you will see there were more Union flags than St. George's flags being waved by the crowd.
    People much more union orientated back in those days and proud to wave the Union flag.
    Became much less popular during the 70's when the Union flag became synonymous with the far right, racist National Front party.

Euro 96 was a bit of a "coming of age" of the St George's flag wasn't it?

I don't remember seeing anywhere near as many before that.  Even a club level you always saw many more union flags.  Now I would suggest there are significantly more "England flags". 

What does this tell you?  Probably nothing of any significants. 
  • LenGlover said:
    1966 world cup final on Channel 4 now. Second half just started if anyone interested other than me!
    Let’s us know how it goes Len. I’ve backed 4-2 in extra time. 
  • LenGlover said:
    the referee disallows Hurst's second 'goal'
  • Channel 4 currently have the 66 final on, what I really enjoy these days apart from the result, is the commentary, no waffle screaming or shouting just pure and simple good informed commentary. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting to note that the chorus goes, "in his red, white and blue World Cup Willie"

I don't remember seeing anywhere near as many before that.  Even a club level you always saw many more union flags.  Now I would suggest there are significantly more "England flags". 

Italia 90 was full of Union Flags if I recall rightly 
  • MrWalker said:
    Mrs Otto will be getting Euro 2020 Willie if we win tomorrow. 
    Has she got someone booked?
    Nicky Bailey taking him up in an offer made when he was playing for us ?
  • I have one of those as well and always wondered what it was, I found it among  my Grandads things when he died 

• Ageing skiffle star Lonnie Donegan was chosen to record the official '66 song.

Found a copy of this at my Mums on Wednesday while sorting stuff. Remember the song didn't realise Lonnie Donegan was singing it & even when I had the picture cover in my hand it didn't register.
  • LenGlover said:
    the referee disallows Hurst's second 'goal'
    55 years offside?
  • Sponsored links:

• Channel 4 currently have the 66 final on, what I really enjoy these days apart from the result, is the commentary, no waffle screaming or shouting just pure and simple good informed commentary. 
    I only caught the end of this, but I recorded it as I've never watched it all in colour before.
    As others have mentioned flags, it was noticeable at Wembley that day it was mainly Union Jack flags being waved (Are you allowed to call it Union Jack anymore? I'm lost).
    Loved the old footage in Trafalgar Sq.

I only caught the end of this, but I recorded it as I've never watched it all in colour before.
    As others have mentioned flags, it was noticeable at Wembley that day it was mainly Union Jack flags being waved (Are you allowed to call it Union Jack anymore? I'm lost).

The Union Jack was the flag of choice at England matched until relatively recently - Euro 96 was the first time the Flag of St George predominated.
  • This is the awful B side to 1982's "This time we'll get it right", and there is a definite mix of England and British flags, and a weird cross promotion with British Airways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPoHNN0UOr4

The Union Jack was the flag of choice at England matched until relatively recently - Euro 96 was the first time the Flag of St George predominated.
    Any idea why mate?
    I know we didn't play in 94 world cup so what happened in them few years that made fans switch flags?

Any idea why mate?
    I know we didn't play in 94 world cup so what happened in them few years that made fans switch flags?
    Maybe something to do with so many Scots disliking us and wanting us to lose & maybe the Welsh and for all I know the Northern Irish as well.
    So we started flying the English flag?
  • MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Italia 90 was full of Union Flags if I recall rightly 
    I lost my Union Flag in The Plough in Lewisham during the 1990 World Cup , think it was the Platt night , fuck knows completely trashed and carnage in there it was 

Any idea why mate?
    Maybe something to do with so many Scots disliking us and wanting us to lose & maybe the Welsh and for all I know the Northern Irish as well.
    So we started flying the English flag?
    Just wondered if something historic happened 1990-96 for the flags to change. I was off my head raving so don't remember.
    Just seems a big jump when you look at footage of Wembley games 
  • I seem to recall there was a point where everybody started to question why it was that the other home nations were always flying their own flags at games and making a big thing of their national day and we weren’t. Pretty sure St George’s day was never really that big a deal either until then. The national anthems also got included in that debate as well

Funny thing is, growing up back then I thought the Union Jack was the English national flag, seems like both the graphic designer and the songwriter thought so too. 

The emergence of our true national flag the Cross of St George seems to have emerged much later.

• I agree - I didn’t even know when St. George’s Day was until I was 22/23, and that was only because a pub near where I was working did a promotion.

I wonder how much devolution played into this - raising English awareness.