Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Mariner RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP - one of the first footballers I remember. 
  • Options
    RIP. Top player.

• Options
    Sad day. A player I admired.
  • Options
    RIP, he left nothing but good memories.
  • Options
    Very sad RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Paul
  • Options
    RIP Paul......a great player with a spotless reputation, both on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    RIP Paul. Very good player in his day.
  • Options
    Name takes me way back. Great player.

Thought provoking given where England are today.

RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP - one of those players I always liked to watch
  • Options
    Another death at too early an age .. I recall him as rather a new breed of 1970s striker who could drop back into midfield and create as well as take the stick up front, take his lumps and score his goals .. VERY good player made better by the excellent Bobby Robson .. R I P
  • Options
    Rip Mariner so many great memories...
  • Options
    Remember him playing for Plymouth when 30000 was the norm at home.
    Always remember that goal against Hungary 1981.
    RIP
  • Options
    Remember him scoring two late goals for Plymouth away at Dartford in, presumably, the FA Cup to win 3-2.
    Good player them who went on to greater things.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    That Ipswich side with Brazil,Butcher ,Wark etc. was one of the finest to grace our league,although we almost beat them at the Valley in the cup.
    Paul was a superb centre forward,and by all accounts a very decent man.

RIP
  • Options
    I remember him as being part of the great Ipswich team around 1980. We played them twice in the cup, one in the 5th round away, lost 2-0, and won at home lost 3-2 from two up.
    Very sad on the eve of the final.
    RIP
  • Options
    I was at I remember him scoring for Plymouth against Dartford in the FA cup when I was a kid. 
  • Options
    Heard the news on Radio 5 when driving to watch a friendly match.

They reminded me that Paul scored the goal against Hungary to help England Qualify for the 82 WC. This was a special goal because England hadn't qualified for a WC since 1970 !  Also Mariner scored a goal in the victory against France in the first Group game when Bryan Robson scored in the first Minute. 

RIP Paul.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was one of the players I looked up to. A very classy striker. R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP Paul.

• Options

They reminded me that Paul scored the goal against Hungary to help England Qualify for the 82 WC. This was a special goal because England hadn't qualified for a WC since 1970 !  Also Mariner scored a goal in the victory against France in the first Group game when Bryan Robson scored in the first Minute. 

RIP Paul.
    In fact, England hadn’t successfully negotiated a qualifying campaign since 1962 - they didn’t need to go through qualifying in 66 or 70 due to being hosts, then holders.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sidetrack.  RIP Paul Mariner.
  • Options
    RIP Paul Mariner    Almost certain he was in the 82 world cup squad in Spain, that I was fortunate
    to have been at in Bilbao for the first stage.

Also remember him for the very good Ipswich team of the same era.
  • Options
    Key member of Bobby Robinson's great Ipswich team

RIP Paul
    When you can't get out of your mind the name "Robinson"! That should have read "Bobby Robson" of course which is pretty criminal of me given that I have a black and white photo in my possession from the early 1960s, of my Godfather, who was a foreign journalist at the time, with Sir Bobby.  
  • Options
    Very sad news RIP Paul. Remember the cup game at Portman Road where he went past Terry Naylor who grabbed his shirt the shirt just stretched as Mariner continued to power away from our Tel.
  • Options
    according to today's extensive Times obituary, Mariner played bongos on stage with his favourite band, Deep Purple, he was also chairman of his local gardening society and organised trips to the Chelsea Flower Show .. not a lot of people knew that  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    He played over here with a mate of mine for the Albany Capitols....he said he was a lovely guy but couldn't believe what a player he was especially after downing a few pints the night before a game. I was at the Ipswich FA Cup game and he ripped us apart. RIP
  • Options

RIP Paul.
    In fact, England hadn’t successfully negotiated a qualifying campaign since 1962 - they didn’t need to go through qualifying in 66 or 70 due to being hosts, then holders.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sidetrack.  RIP Paul Mariner.

You are correct your Lordship;
    Qualify was the wrong word.