Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Vs Celtic - Pre Season Friendly - Match Thread

edited July 2021 in General Charlton
Any predictions on lineup etc from anywhere?

Seen Wassim Aouachria post on Instagram with the first team squad in a hotel, and he also tagged Hady Ghandour in the video, so that's 2 youngsters that have travelled for the friendly at least, but I'm expecting a few more to feature. 

I wonder if any trialists will be involved over the coming weeks too.

Comments

• Options
    3 - 1 defeat and multiple changes in three quarters of 30 mins.

Moaners have orgasms of delight as they can slag off the manager, owner, all the players and the training kit.

Normal people say it was a pre-season friendly, Celtic are about four weeks ahead of us in their training and Wassim looked good.
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing some of the new players, like the keeper and Dobson.
  • Options
    3pm kick off 
  • Options
    Match thread? Is this really a match, or s glorified training exercise?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Any predictions on lineup etc from anywhere?

Seen Wassim Aouachria post on Instagram with the first team squad in a hotel, and he also tagged Hady Ghandour in the video, so that's 2 youngsters that have travelled for the friendly at least, but I'm expecting a few more to feature. 

I wonder if any trialists will be involved over the coming weeks too.
    James Beadle has also travelled with squad as 3rd keeper
  • Options
    It’s being shown on CeltcTV - free sign up to be able to watch (felt dirty doing it)
  • Options
    One of the benefits of playing these small teams is we can check whether any of their players are worth cherry picking for our promotion push.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It's a match ain't it, we are playing Celtic, of course it doubles up as a training match, and a chance to bed in newbies, but please don't put a downer on what is our first game (friendly or not). B)
  • Options
    Surely we’ll wear training kit. Not the new shirt. No news on sponsor etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s officially a pre-season friendly. Great opportunity for the u23s to show what they can bring to the first team squad next season, and a good experience for them to be playing against a side like Celtic. 
  • Options
    Thats all any friendly is...
  • Options
    Having a BBQ for my Mother-In-Law's 60th today - She's bloody working this morning so wont be coming over till 3pm!!

Am sure my wife wont mind passing me a Burger through the window
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Absolutely zero interest in this
    Same. England is all I can think about at the moment. I’m gonna have a big euro comedown I think. 4 weeks to get my head around watching Charlton lump balls up to Stockley.

That said, a nice experience for some of the younger lads today.
  • Options
    looking forward to us playing welling more than this. it would feel bit more glamorous if it was at celtic park with fans in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    looking forward to us playing welling more than this. it would feel bit more glamorous if it was at celtic park with fans in.
    It would be more "glamorous" if it was at Old Trafford with 80000 fans in, but it ain't, it is a pre season match and just that, warm up for the main event, so take it at face value, and look forward to Welling. B)
  • Options
    Same - but I think I’m watch it to kill a couple of hours. Can’t sit still today - I’ve even hoovered abs stead cleaned all the floors. Still dregs of beer behind the TV cabinet from Wednesday night. 
  • Options
    I've less interest than that.
    I've never seen a worthwhile Charlton PSF in my life.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I am quite excited by this although I know it is only a glorified training session . Although I wish Scottish football would produce another Ferguson type Aberdeen to break up the Old Firm dominance there is no doubt that the Celts are a massive club . Have we ever played a non English Champions League / European Cup winner before ?

I remember in the 80's we often nicked their famous ' grand old team to play for ' song at away games . 

We have many playing connections and four of their team that beat Barcelona went on to play for Charlton . I posted on my mutual teams thread the Charlton / Celtic team  . I think it is a strong line up .

GK Tony Warner , RB Adam Matthews , LB Mark Reid , CB Paul Elliott, CB Stuart Balmer , RM Aiden McGeady , CM Beram Kayal , CM Zheng Zhi , LM Joe Ledley , ST Paolo Di Canio , ST Jim Melrose .

Carlton Cole , Scott Sinclair and Tony Watt also featured for both first teams .

I really wish we could have played Celtic at Parkhead in a proper friendly and been able to experience an away day in Glasgow .I was on an Open University summer school some years ago and saw Arsenal play at both Parkhead and Ibrox . I also saw Celtic play my favourite Scottish team Raith Rovers in a Cup game some years later and was impressed at how an area which resembled a slum had been transformed . Chris Hoy's Velodrome replaced a derelict Primary School as its neighbour .

Back to the game itself I am interested to see who will be the alternate Goalkeeper given AMB's absence and whether any of the U23's can make a step up .
    We played Valencia in a friendly didn't we? Not sure what iteration of the cup they won but I'm sure they won it at some point
  • Options
    I think people will be surprised at how good some of our youngsters are today, especially looking forward to seeing Wassim Aouachria today, who looked a terrific player in the making in the few games I saw some time ago.
  • Options
    I’m more hyped in the England pre match warm up than this. I can’t focus on anything else at the moment! I love Charlton as much as ever -  but I’m foaming at the mouth and in bits about tomorrow night at present 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    I think people will be surprised at how good some of our youngsters are today, especially looking forward to seeing Wassim Aouachria today, who looked a terrific player in the making in the few games I saw some time ago.
    Wassim, if it weren't for his knee injury, would have played as much as Morgan and Doughty have for us at least, IMO.

In fact, he'd probably have been sold/left on a free to a bigger club by now, and we'd all be lamenting losing a tall but technical number 10 who had scored a few goals from the bench for us, a la Aneke.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what time the coverage on Charlton TV starts?
  • Options
    I've less interest than that.
    I've never seen a worthwhile Charlton PSF in my life.
    You mean that you’re too young to have witnessed Charlton 9 Apoel Nicosia 0. A night to remember.