Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wet Room Installation

I am looking at buying a flat, but there is no shower unit and the bathroom has an angled ceiling (its under the roof) so there is no room to install one.  A wet room installation was suggested to me but I am very uncertain.  The consequences of damp getting through to the residents downstairs is not one I am wanting to consider.

Anyone had one installed, especially in an upstairs room with a wooden floor?

Comments

• I have a wet room, and yes we have had some damp patches on the ceiling below, nothing major and it wasn't a cheap installation at all, all I would add is get the best installation you can and for heaven sake make sure it is fully insured. 
  • edited July 2021
    I have a wet room, and yes we have had some damp patches on the ceiling below, nothing major and it wasn't a cheap installation at all, all I would add is get the best installation you can and for heaven sake make sure it is fully insured. 
    Thanks Jon that is really useful as it is a flat there is no way I want to get into problems with damage to my downstairs neighbour's place so will mean I either live with a bath but no shower or look elsewhere...I've had such a ballache.  First flat I was close to completing on when we found out there was a recharge I would be liable for (between 20 and 27k), and now this.  I think I'll just buy a bloody van and spend my twilight years pottering around the UK.
  • Use a tanking membrane, extended up the walls and sealed with a tanking sealing tape. Lots of different products available.
  • Ours leaked after about four years, it wasn't a major disaster but the hall ceiling got very damp and took some time to dry fully and eventually we had the ceiling replaced, in our hall, we have wooden floors in a house that is about twenty five years old, had we had down stairs neighbour's I dread to think how it would have played out, shower room is a great success though and never regretted.
  • Check the lease, many do not allow wet rooms as invariably they always leak at some point.
  • Thanks all.  I'm thinking  it's going to have be a no.  Too many issues.