Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    This kids the real deal, great taste in movies as well, he was sitting in the row behind me when I went to the cinema recently, think he was a bit too star struck to ask for an autograph!

I hope it was murder on the Orient Express or The great train Robbery.
  • Options
    Last player to score on debuts in two different competitions?
    Mason Burstow.
    The quality of phrasing questions in Yorkshire is on a par with their ability to react to an investigation into racism. 
    Saucy sausage 😘
  • Options
    Was really glad he came on
    No lying when it was 0-0 I sung once we get one we'll get 4
    And said he would score if he came on
    Really like the look of him
  • Options
    One more yellow for Stockley and Davison will get the shirt, giving Burstow the opportunity off the bench.
  • Options
    I suspect that the Birmingham youth game that was televised was the first time most of us had heard of this lad.

I know the video of the game is on the first page but worth reminding ourselves of the 2 goals he scored in this game, the second an absolute superb piece of finishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmX-S6go-o

His goals are in the 70th and 90th minute.

If he carries on developing like he has been, sadly I can see another "Joe Gomez" situation arising as the big boys very quickly come calling. It's truely sad we just can't keep young talent these days for much more than a year once they breakthrough. Can only hope we can get a good price for him when he moves on.

Good luck young man!.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
    Hopefully he gives JJ something to think about by then. I don’t see the point in bringing in another striker unless they’re a clear step up from Washington.
    Err, what if Washington gets injured? 
    If there’s good value out there and a player who will definitely improve us (like when we brought in BWP) then that’s a signing worth making.

What we don’t need is a 10 goal a season League 1 striker on a 2/3 year contract when we have two young players who have the potential to be far better than that.

Why block Davison and Burstow’s progress by signing an average striker when they’ve scored a decent number of goals between them?
    Don’t wanna block burstows progress if he’s good enough, no idea about him and hope he’s shit hot and the next Grant. But for the
    moment, assuming he isn’t.

Davison is a trier but clearly not good enough which I think we’ve seen across an extended period now. He’s definitely a substantial step down from Washington as an overall package in my opinion. Your point was that you don’t want a striker in unless they’re a significant improvement on Washington - obviously I would love that too but on if that’s not realistic it’s essential we sign another striker who is on a par with Washington because Davison just isn’t, and if Washington and/or stockley get injured and we’re lining up with Davison and then an unknown kid on the bench and hoping to be climbing up and troubling the top 6 , for me that ain’t gonna happen. 

We just about got away without a proper 2nd striker when we had Taylor in the play off season, and that was only cos Taylor was so exceptionally good (way above stockley or Washington) - and when he was suspended after that red card we went on an awful run with our makeshift attack. 

Point being - in my view we 100% need a 3rd good quality league one striker. It isn’t and wont be Davison, if it’s Burstow brilliant. Otherwise it’s a signing. 
    What extended period are you judging Davison on? Forget everything before this season, he’s a now a far better player. He’s shown he’s a threat since August by scoring 4 goals despite not having a run of starts and most of that being under Adkins management.

Put him in place of Washington in a full strength team and he’ll score goals. I didn’t need to see the game yesterday to know a midfield of Morgan, Kirk and Arter is a significant downgrade compared to Dobson, Gilbey and Lee - the latter has far more mobility, energy and creativity. It must be far easier to play in a team like that where you’ll get more touches of the ball and can rely on them and the wing backs getting good passes and crosses into the box.

Washington’s strengths are his work rate and movement, the gap between him and Davison isn’t that big.
    Really don’t agree with this. He scored 6 goals in 30 games in the conference/ league two just last season so I’m not sure what merits the suggestion he’s somehow transformed into some ruthless animal this season… but it’s not really his goalscoring I’m worried about - he’s got a couple of scrappy goals this season as you say and he evidently works hard, but to be honest anyone not completely shit can score a handful at this level if you’ve got some half decent players around you. See Paul Benson - who he reminds me of a bit actually. I’d like him to come good but I’ve seen enough of him this season and his all round game just isn’t good enough IMO. Washington is no Taylor for sure but for me the gap between him and Davison is more than material enough to justify replacing him in the squad.

bet yet Davidson has scored 5 goals from open play this season compared to washington’s 1. The one was a massive deflection which wasn’t troubling the keeper before it hit the defender. 

When the ball is at washingtons feet in the penalty box, there’s a very good chance he won’t score. Davisson has forced keepers into very good saves, gillingham and accrington spring to mind. I would have Washington starting at the moment but the gulf isn’t that big and I think Davidson is putting him under pressure for the shirt 
    Come on. He’s scored 2 goals from a combined distance of about 5 yards. Anyway like I say it’s not his goalscoring that concerns me, he doesn’t hold the ball up, retain possession or run the channels/ stretch teams in the same way Washington does. I don’t think Washington is some god but i just don’t like how we look when Davison is on the pitch at all. 
  • Options

Think he's been a bit lucky with the finish myself, was hit right at the goalies leg.
    Unlike any of our other strikers, I "knew" he would score as soon as the ball fell to him.
    He's got natural goal scorer written all over him, you can see it, you can smell it, you can feel it.
    Easy to be wise after the event, the lad looks a good prospect but the keeper should of saved it, simple as.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Good chance he'll make his full debut in the pizza cup I reckon. Would be good to see him get some proper minutes out there. But, however good he his, doesn't stop a proven striker being our top priority in January... we still only have 2 established front men. 
    Hopefully he gives JJ something to think about by then. I don’t see the point in bringing in another striker unless they’re a clear step up from Washington.
    If there’s good value out there and a player who will definitely improve us (like when we brought in BWP) then that’s a signing worth making.

What we don’t need is a 10 goal a season League 1 striker on a 2/3 year contract when we have two young players who have the potential to be far better than that.

Why block Davison and Burstow’s progress by signing an average striker when they’ve scored a decent number of goals between them?
    Don’t wanna block burstows progress if he’s good enough, no idea about him and hope he’s shit hot and the next Grant. But for the

Davison is a trier but clearly not good enough which I think we’ve seen across an extended period now. He’s definitely a substantial step down from Washington as an overall package in my opinion. Your point was that you don’t want a striker in unless they’re a significant improvement on Washington - obviously I would love that too but on if that’s not realistic it’s essential we sign another striker who is on a par with Washington because Davison just isn’t, and if Washington and/or stockley get injured and we’re lining up with Davison and then an unknown kid on the bench and hoping to be climbing up and troubling the top 6 , for me that ain’t gonna happen. 

We just about got away without a proper 2nd striker when we had Taylor in the play off season, and that was only cos Taylor was so exceptionally good (way above stockley or Washington) - and when he was suspended after that red card we went on an awful run with our makeshift attack. 

Point being - in my view we 100% need a 3rd good quality league one striker. It isn’t and wont be Davison, if it’s Burstow brilliant. Otherwise it’s a signing. 
    What extended period are you judging Davison on? Forget everything before this season, he’s a now a far better player. He’s shown he’s a threat since August by scoring 4 goals despite not having a run of starts and most of that being under Adkins management.

Put him in place of Washington in a full strength team and he’ll score goals. I didn’t need to see the game yesterday to know a midfield of Morgan, Kirk and Arter is a significant downgrade compared to Dobson, Gilbey and Lee - the latter has far more mobility, energy and creativity. It must be far easier to play in a team like that where you’ll get more touches of the ball and can rely on them and the wing backs getting good passes and crosses into the box.

Washington’s strengths are his work rate and movement, the gap between him and Davison isn’t that big.
    Really don’t agree with this. He scored 6 goals in 30 games in the conference/ league two just last season so I’m not sure what merits the suggestion he’s somehow transformed into some ruthless animal this season… but it’s not really his goalscoring I’m worried about - he’s got a couple of scrappy goals this season as you say and he evidently works hard, but to be honest anyone not completely shit can score a handful at this level if you’ve got some half decent players around you. See Paul Benson - who he reminds me of a bit actually. I’d like him to come good but I’ve seen enough of him this season and his all round game just isn’t good enough IMO. Washington is no Taylor for sure but for me the gap between him and Davison is more than material enough to justify replacing him in the squad.
    He’s clearly improved since/due to those loan spells. He’s far more physical than Benson, both stronger and quicker. Combined with the effort he puts in and getting into goalscoring positions that makes him a dangerous player at this level.

I’m not saying he’s completely transformed but the way he’s improved and his age suggests he has room to get even better. He’s still only 22. I’d hate to see us let him go while he’s developing his all round game and replace him with another Washington type who we know isn’t up to the Championship.
    fair enough I guess. I don’t personally think Davison, even with more development, will be up to anything more than a struggling league one side so I would rather a Washington (or bwp!) who at least are a top 8 sort of league one player. We’ll see anyway. I hope they all stay fit… I’m guessing is Washington is on international this week Davison is about to get his chance anyway so let’s hope he does the biz
  • Options
    The other development for Davison is his first touch. It’s awful, I’ve seen him three times already this season chase down and win the ball from his loose touch. 

He’s a real trier, good athlete but very poor technically 
  • Options
    I agree chaps. A striker is judged by the quantity of goals not quality. Derek Hales would not be the CAFC legend that he rightly is otherwise. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
     Scoham said:
    Jonniesta said:

bet yet Davidson has scored 5 goals from open play this season compared to washington’s 1. The one was a massive deflection which wasn’t troubling the keeper before it hit the defender. 

When the ball is at washingtons feet in the penalty box, there’s a very good chance he won’t score. Davisson has forced keepers into very good saves, gillingham and accrington spring to mind. I would have Washington starting at the moment but the gulf isn’t that big and I think Davidson is putting him under pressure for the shirt 
    Come on. He’s scored 2 goals from a combined distance of about 5 yards. Anyway like I say it’s not his goalscoring that concerns me, he doesn’t hold the ball up, retain possession or run the channels/ stretch teams in the same way Washington does. I don’t think Washington is some god but i just don’t like how we look when Davison is on the pitch at all. 
    Oh, sorry, let’s not count them then.

doesn’t that show signs of a good striker? Right place to tap in 

as I said, Washington deserves the shirt but does he score tap in or head tamely at the keeper?
    Just to be clear:

- I wasn’t discounting those, I was dismissing the other 3 against weaker oppo in a competition I don’t recognise and against a non league side, games where Washington hasn’t played.

- I commented about his open/ point blank range goals because you were intimating he’s a more lethal finisher in the box Vs Washington which I don’t agree with… I think he’s a poor finisher and no better than Washington IMO in 1v1s etc. + Is it any more harsh to dismiss open goals than Washingtons well struck and self created deflected effort when bearing down on a defender from the edge of the box? I dont think Davison would have scored that goal.

- finally… as I have said in every post, it’s not about the goals! I don’t disagree Davison could probably grab a few this season if playing and very possibly similar nos to Washington. It’s his all round game which isn’t good enough. 
  • Options
    Take it to the Josh Davison thread gents. 
  • Options
    Haha. Fair!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't seen this lad play yet, but he sounds promising. Could say the keeper maybe should have saved it, but it was hit with real power. Shearer would always say "get it on target and work the keeper". Exactly what he did. Sometimes you earn a bit of luck by being direct and taking the chance on. Not stopping and looking for a cut back or lay off. You can see the lads brimming with confidence so just maybe with suspensions and injuries he'll grab his chance in the 1st team.
  • Options
    How does Burstow's pace compare to our current/former strikers.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Based purely off the few appearances so far, he's definitely quicker than Stockley and Davison, not sure about Washington but probably about the same. I think he'd beat Washington in a sprint but over a longer distance it would be roughly the same? 

Wouldn't say he's absolutely lightning fast but he's fairly pacy and looks like he has the knack for accelerating very quickly from standing/jogging to flat out which is very beneficial in his style of playing.

• Options
    Possibly similar to Washington.
    It's just something about his positivity/directness.
    He got the ball and you think he wants to score and he's going to score.
    Stockley & possibly Davison wouldn't have been quick enough.
    Washington has been in that position numerous times (in fact got even closer) and generally doesn't score.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll be interested to see how Burstow and Stockley play together as that acceleration could work well with the flick ons and knock downs the big man's so good at.
  • Options

Think he's been a bit lucky with the finish myself, was hit right at the goalies leg.
    Unlike any of our other strikers, I "knew" he would score as soon as the ball fell to him.
    He's got natural goal scorer written all over him, you can see it, you can smell it, you can feel it.
    Easy to be wise after the event, the lad looks a good prospect but the keeper should of saved it, simple as.
    Apologies to you cafcsinger.
    I didn't quite have the time to post in between Mason collecting the ball and scoring 10 seconds later.
    Do your football smell and feel sensations only occur when the player's in possession then? 😄
  • Options
    What Burstow seems to offer is something different, pace and directness. A perfect player to bring on with 20 to go against tiring defences