Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    One very interesting line from Jones there which alludes to what a lot of us have been saying - 'There are a lot of things that people think he is good at that I want to actually take out of his game'. I would bet anything that that's his tendency to hare around after the ball regardless of where he should be and his usual decision to react to danger rather than read and predict it before it arrives. Dobson is technically better than he's given credit for but the crunching tackles and big-hearted effort that gets him applause is beneath a player like him if he and the team want to progress higher up the table. Better positioning and reading of the game would make Dobson ready to be a Championship player without too much worry
    Well exactly, fans see Dobson chasing across towards the full back position and often missing a big sliding challenge yet praise his endeavour and passion and believe that he 'is the only one doing anything in midfield'. Yet fail to realise the reason we were often exposed and overrun in the midfield was because of that lack of positional discipline meaning there would be gaps to exploit everywhere.

In my opinion the more refined Dobson of the last couple of games has been very good, and I hope he continues to play and develop that way.
    A more refined Dobson or does the presence of someone like Coventry, who is covering areas of the pitch that Dobson used to have to because players like Fraser would be simply AWOL, mean Dobson doesn't have to "hare around" trying to cover too much of the pitch himself?
    It was never really Fraser’s job to play the position Coventry is though. Dobson has been playing Dobson’s position, as the DM, almost exclusively. 

Whether we like it or not the club have clearly identified that position (I’m not saying Dobson) as an issue - which is why we tried to bring in McGrandles, and Taylor (who were always injured) and then Coventry. 
    It was under MA when he played Dobson and Fraser as two holding CMs in a 4-2-3-1.
    Not really. Firstly we barely played any games with that formation because Fraser and Dobson couldn't play as the CM's and we didn't have a number 10, the depth in the wing positions and it meant May was either out of position or up top on his own - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/charlton-athletic/vereinsspielplan/verein/358/saison_id/2023/heim_gast//plus/1

And more importantly the role and requirements of a double pivot is much more different that of a single pivot. If Fraser was playing as the single pivot in a 4-3-3 then fine, but he has not so it is not a valid criticism. 
    It’s always debatable whether a team is playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-2 as they’re so similar. There was a period when Fraser was regularly starting and it was often commented on how deep he was playing. May, the two Campbell’s and probably a few others played ahead of Fraser and Dobson. 

Exactly how they lined up can be argued but either way it left Dobson with a lot of running to do. Now Coventry is in the team he doesn’t have to do so much as he’s more suited to the role than Fraser was, and the team as a whole are playing with more aggression and intensity.

There is probably truth in both sides, one that Jones has helped Dobson tweak his game, and two that the wider changes and improvements have also helped Dobson.
  • Options
    Is it correct that due to the pre contract the club would have to pay a transfer fee to keep him if they want to.
  • Options
    Dobbo could always settle with the Hungarian club himself.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Is it correct that due to the pre contract the club would have to pay a transfer fee to keep him if they want to.
    Yes.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Yes.
    Then let him go. The money can be spent on either a midfielder who complements Coventry or on improving our defense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Pretty sure George will be off but it’s a mark of the bloke that he is still our captain and putting in 100% every game. If a certain ex striker of ours had that attitude we wouldn’t be in league one now ! Sorry to see him go personally and I think it’s a big mistake by the club to have let this happen
    Think it's a bit disingenuous to be saying the club "let" anything happen. They made an offer, he rejected it, that's often how it goes. But they didn't "let" him sign a binding agreement with a Hungarian team - that was all him. If anything he was apparently going to be off in January but the club (possibly at Jones' insistence) made sure he served out the last few months.

For better or worse you can't say they could make him do anything else, so it's not a case of "letting it happen."
    That’s true , but they  are 100% guilty of not making it easy for him to stay. Scott was delighted to show him where the door was. 
    By offering him a contract on more money? 
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Been a massive Dobbo fan since he first came in, but moved on from this now. Would love him to stay but, under Sir Nathan, can see bigger things to be looking forward to than the future of one player, as important. As he might've been in the past.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    Pretty sure George will be off but it’s a mark of the bloke that he is still our captain and putting in 100% every game. If a certain ex striker of ours had that attitude we wouldn’t be in league one now ! Sorry to see him go personally and I think it’s a big mistake by the club to have let this happen
    Think it's a bit disingenuous to be saying the club "let" anything happen. They made an offer, he rejected it, that's often how it goes. But they didn't "let" him sign a binding agreement with a Hungarian team - that was all him. If anything he was apparently going to be off in January but the club (possibly at Jones' insistence) made sure he served out the last few months.

For better or worse you can't say they could make him do anything else, so it's not a case of "letting it happen."
    I think “let it happen” is correct in as much that we didn’t come up with a good enough package to encourage him to stay…..so yes, they did ‘let it happen’ because it could have been prevented.
  • Options
    I love Dobbo but for me I just sense he hasn’t quite been the same player as before this episode! We should let him move on to pastures new, good luck to the lad and his young family! 
  • Options
    And anyway, isn’t Hungary a bit of a totalitarian state with Orban
  • Options
    Really wouldn't sweat it if George moves on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:

That’s true , but they  are 100% guilty of not making it easy for him to stay. Scott was delighted to show him where the door was. 
    By offering him a contract on more money? 
    My understanding is that Methven got involved with an apparent increase.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:

Where's your proof of that?
  • Options
    I suppose, if we do lose Dobbo, and I will be sad to see him go, but if we do, we need t replace him with a player who puts himself about but who also has some goals in him. I think we are short of goals from the centre halves and midfield. 
  • Options
    He's made a massive improvement under Jones, particularly positionally which was always my concern with him. Would be interested to see how much the Hungarians want for him.