Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lennie at the Museum

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Back to 1982/83 QPR game;

Sadly there are very audible "monkey chants" directed at Bob Hazell on the recording (as there were on the Spurs replay recording, when John Chiedozie was on the ball). That's definitely an aspect of 80s football that the vast majority are glad to see the back of. 

Gary Micklewhite scores a brilliant overhead kick, the game is very scrappy and QPR close Charlton down superbly. Mike Flannagan is booed when on the ball plus gets a bit of "Charlton reject" stuff....just before he is involved in Tony Sealy smacking home goal no.2. He then manages to head over from about 2 yards!

QPR do play the offside trap a fair amount but Charlton were clueless against it. The high QPR line also condenses the play and gives a poor Charlton team no space to get going. 

You can hear an office phone ringing halfway through the second half!  

There appears to be a running ruck at the foot of the East Terrace on about 86 minutes. A bit of Keystone Cops, back and forth (which I seem to recall now). 

These days, Terry Fenwick would definitely see red for his challenge on Simonsen right near the end. Jumps in two-footed but doesn't even get spoken to. 

The official Charlton offside count was 20; (12 in the 1st half and 8 in the 2nd half). QPR were offside just 3 times. 

Oddly, it was the night I really became a Charlton fan (having watched QPR the season before). I felt so sorry for Charlton...who were really shit...I decided to go all in and follow the journey! I came back for the Ipswich Town FA Cup game shortly after and I was totally hooked. 

Attendance....13,306. 
  • Options
    Great work - really looking forward to Watford in the FA Cup 1984. I know we lost but its the only time I ever stood on the East Terrace and the last "decent" crowd to stand on it before it closed...
    I would say last decent crowd was season after that vs Spurs in the FA Cup replay
  • Options
    Check out the 81/82 Charlton v Cambridge match. Match was crap 0-0 but that freezing cold mascot at the beginning is me :smiley:
    You changed quite a lot when you grew up...
  • Options
    Great work - really looking forward to Watford in the FA Cup 1984. I know we lost but its the only time I ever stood on the East Terrace and the last "decent" crowd to stand on it before it closed...
    I would say last decent crowd was season after that vs Spurs in the FA Cup replay
    That doesn't count because I wasn't there...
  • Options
    I have the following VHS tapes not on Lennie's list that I'm very happy to donate to museum, and what a pair of crackers they are too!

12.3.83 v Orient 5-2
    5.3.83 v Chelsea 5-2

I think they came from Finch's Sports of Forest Hill.

By all means PM me to arrange handover.
    @Bobk do you want to get in  touch with @lazy_e@Lazy_eye_metaphor ?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The three 1983/84 Charlton Survival videos are brilliant! Well done to whoever put those together. 

People would do well to watch those again. This really was the darkest hour (although the Matt Southall nonsense could easily have turned out really badly). It was an incredibly stressful time and quite often difficult to understand what was actually happening. 

Steve Dixon hit the nail on the head for me with his words outside the High Court in Part 3. Sadly, only 7,600 turned up to The Valley two days later and for the following game v Oldham, we were back to the same old 4,500 that Steve was hoping would be a thing of the past. At that point Sunley must've started to have doubts about what they'd got themselves into.

How good was Lennie through all of this? Such a brilliant, calm, clear communicator. No wonder he had such success as a manager. 

Chris Jones, Barry Little, Geoff Scott, Mark Aizlewood & Peter Mountford amongst those having a pint in The Valley Club after the good news had broken. 

As a side note, the bearded fella (Martin?) with the newspaper outside the High Court, I remember as being a real home/away fan back then. A regular with us on the trains to away games. 

• Options
    The Grimsby 1984 game is hilarious. The sound seems to be about 5 minutes behind the action! Goals scored but people just chatting and shouting the usual stuff. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    The three 1983/84 Charlton Survival videos are brilliant! Well done to whoever put those together. 

People would do well to watch those again. This really was the darkest hour (although the Matt Southall nonsense could easily have turned out really badly). It was an incredibly stressful time and quite often difficult to understand what was actually happening. 

Steve Dixon hit the nail on the head for me with his words outside the High Court in Part 3. Sadly, only 7,600 turned up to The Valley two days later and for the following game v Oldham, we were back to the same old 4,500 that Steve was hoping would be a thing of the past. At that point Sunley must've started to have doubts about what they'd got themselves into.

How good was Lennie through all of this? Such a brilliant, calm, clear communicator. No wonder he had such success as a manager. 

Chris Jones, Barry Little, Geoff Scott, Mark Aizlewood & Peter Mountford amongst those having a pint in The Valley Club after the good news had broken. 

As a side note, the bearded fella (Martin?) with the newspaper outside the High Court, I remember as being a real home/away fan back then. A regular with us on the trains to away games. 

We always knew him as the Les Dawson bloke. As you say, always home and away.
  • Options

Well done and thanks to those involved.

Don’t know whether it’s all the talk of Marxism on other threads, but I read the title of this thread as ‘Lenin at the museum’
  • Options

Well done and thanks to those involved.

Don’t know whether it’s all the talk of Marxism on other threads, but I read the title of this thread as ‘Lenin at the museum’
    He'd have some cracking videos for uploading....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

We always knew him as the Les Dawson bloke. As you say, always home and away.
    He used to refer to "Mark Hulyery"....
  • Options
    The Spurs replay in 1985;

The abuse of Crooks comes over even worse on the Charlton "home" video, than on the ITV version. Really bad. 

On a brighter note....21,000 for that game? C'mon......there looks like at least that on the East Terrace alone..even allowing for the bits that are empty behind and for some reason, in front of the TV gantry. And I know every other part of the ground was packed solid too. There must've been at least 8,000 Spurs fans there that night. They were everywhere. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

The abuse of Crooks comes over even worse on the Charlton "home" video, than on the ITV version. Really bad. 

On a brighter note....21,000 for that game? C'mon......there looks like at least that on the East Terrace alone..even allowing for the bits that are empty behind and for some reason, in front of the TV gantry. And I know every other part of the ground was packed solid too. There must've been at least 8,000 Spurs fans there that night. They were everywhere. 
    And caused plenty of trouble as well…..
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Oh yes. Remember lots going on outside the Covered End after the final whistle. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

I was 14 - lied to my Mum and said I was going to a mates house (Dad was away with the Army, but told me he didn’t want me going to the match, because he predicted crowd trouble) - it was my first real experience of witnessing crowd trouble on a ‘scale’ - I’m not saying it was a riot, far from it, but you had to keep your wits about you to avoid getting whacked - I was on the East Terrace - afterwards outside was where I decided legging it down the alley under the railway and then left along Woolwich Road to get train back to Dartford was safer than going up Floyd Road
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

I was 14 - lied to my Mum and said I was going to a mates house (Dad was away with the Army, but told me he didn’t want me going to the match, because he predicted crowd trouble) - it was my first real experience of witnessing crowd trouble on a ‘scale’ - I’m not saying it was a riot, far from it, but you had to keep your wits about you to avoid getting whacked - I was on the East Terrace - afterwards outside was where I decided legging it down the alley under the railway and then left along Woolwich Road to get train back to Dartford was safer than going up Floyd Road
    it was the first time I can remember being scared at a game too. I was 17 and whilst it went on a lot, I never got near enough to fighting to bother me. Walked out of the covered end exit after the game and it was kicking off with stuff being thrown at us. The fact it was packed didn’t help as you couldn’t get away. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Looking back at the old videos, I can really see now just how good Steve Gritt was for Charlton. I know he had his limitations but he wasn't a bad player at all and made the step up to First Division really well. Les Berry is another one who gives a good steady performance in most of the games and shows some real ability at times. Neither were really known outside of Charlton at the time but both were such reliable players.

By contrast, The Valley pitch doesn't seem quite as good as I remember but it was probably better than a lot of other pitches at the time and that's probably what I was measuring it by back then. 

I'm currently watching the Watford Cup video (22,000 my arse). I was right behind that Mo Johnston goal and remember the swerve on it as he faded it with the outside of his foot, to bring it back in, inside the far-post. No wonder Nicky Johns didn't move....and he was a brilliant keeper. 

Incredible to think that about five weeks after the Watford game, we were in receivership and practically finished. 
  • Options
    I may have missed it but is the Charlton v Chelsea 1983 game available? (The Nicky Johns 1-1 game). 

So enjoying watching all these games again....
  • Options
    I would hope someone has a copy to lend the Museum, but it was not in Lennie's boxes of tapes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks BobK (brilliant effort)

Hopefully it will appear because it was one of the very top goalie performances...truly outstanding.