Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Russians are Coming .. Bearing Tins of Baked Beans

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant a thread about a supermarket is now about Chinese human rights.......... 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Brilliant a thread about a supermarket is now about Chinese human rights.......... 
    well neo slave labour economies produce cheap goods for the 'decadent', 'lazy' west
  • Options
    I've boycotted Russia and China, both being quite appalling on human rights, for quite some time so I won't be shopping there.
    Only those two? What about the USA's record on human rights?

Does the UK selling massive amounts of arms abroad bother you to the extent that you'd consider boycotting British products?

Sorry if I seem like I'm digging you out, but this is the circle I go around in when I consider this issue. 

It seems to me that it's easy to get caught up in western propaganda against Russia and China....

And I say that having lived in Xinjiang and being married to an Uyghur. 
    spotted the tankie
    Or someone who has lived in the region and has a decent understanding of life here?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I've boycotted Russia and China, both being quite appalling on human rights, for quite some time so I won't be shopping there.

Does the UK selling massive amounts of arms abroad bother you to the extent that you'd consider boycotting British products?

Sorry if I seem like I'm digging you out, but this is the circle I go around in when I consider this issue. 

It seems to me that it's easy to get caught up in western propaganda against Russia and China....

spotted the tankie
    Or someone who has lived in the region and has a decent understanding of life here?
    Would love to be told what the life is like for Uighurs, Ukrainians, the skripals, the people of hong kong, high profile Han dissident ex pats and the ordinary people in the east of russia. I'm sure it's top notch...!
  • Options

spotted the tankie
    Would love to be told what the life is like for Uighurs, Ukrainians, the skripals, the people of hong kong, high profile Han dissident ex pats and the ordinary people in the east of russia. I'm sure it's top notch...!
    Well Siv probably has a good idea, with his wife being from one of those groups. 
  • Options
    @kentaddick - I also challenge the tankies when they spout their nonsense 

In the above, I asked people why they singled out China and Russia for boycotting  and why they didn't include USA. I also asked if the UK's record on arms sales causes them moral conflict. 

What I got as responses were a list of dodgy goings on connected to Russia and China. I don't deny any of those things or the horror of many of them. 

However, this doesn't answer what I am asking.. 

Why just them? Why not USA? Why not the UK?

• Options

In the above, I asked people why they singled out China and Russia for boycotting  and why they didn't include USA. I also asked if the UK's record on arms sales causes them moral conflict. 

What I got as responses were a list of dodgy goings on connected to Russia and China. I don't deny any of those things or the horror of many of them. 

I'm boycotting Mcdonalds if that helps? but i can't think of anything else i could to protest the faults of the American Government.

The UK and arms sales.
    I have no problem with the arming of our allies.

In a perfect world there would be no need for Arms of any sort but with climate change there will be more and more conflicts/wars due to diminishing natural resources.
  • Options
    To keep this response brief, here is the Human Rights Watch report on USA for 2021:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2021/country-chapters/united-states

• Options
    The Chinese government also produces its own annual report on US human rights violations in response to American propaganda about China's human rights record

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2021-03/24/c_139832301.htm

-----------------

My view? Plenty of nasty stuff happening in the world. I don't see a need to exclusively boycott Russia and China other than as a result of media influences that paint them as the global bad guys. As westerners, its easy for us to miss the fact that western governments are also involved in nefarious acts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I sometimes used to go to a nice friendly Polish shop in Bognor Regis. Not exactly a supermarket but it had four checkouts.

What got me was you could buy simple things like bottles of water or Coca-Cola much cheaper than the UK equivalents.

So they bring labelled bottles of water all the way from Poland and sell it for 20p while a bottle of water in Tesco costs 50p.

Maybe Tesco are just taking the piss? 
    The bottled water industry is one of the biggest cons going. They're all taking the piss.

There's three types of water (bottled) that are sold. The main one being, simply, bottled water. Essentially people are paying for tap water that's been treated (with no requirement to list the treatment(s) on the labelling) before selling back to the public at stupid costs. It's the same con that saw Dasani (of Coca-Cola fame) fail miserably when launched in the UK. Okay, it was also not too long after the OFAH episode about Peckham Spring, but they tried their luck anyway. Seems it's now commonplace and accepted by most. Mental!!
    Environmentally, it's all bad but at least 'mineral water' has to meet a standard of some kind.  'Spring water' is a big con, effectively being tap water like the 'bottled water' to which you refer.
  • Options

You have to start somewhere.  Your stance, @Siv_in_Norfolk , seems to be that if someone somewhere is not perfect you don't take a stand against anything.
  • Options

I'm boycotting Mcdonalds if that helps? but i can't think of anything else i could to protest the faults of the American Government.

The UK and arms sales.
    I have no problem with the arming of our allies.

In a perfect world there would be no need for Arms of any sort but with climate change there will be more and more conflicts/wars due to diminishing natural resources.
    Probably not, or at least not very much.  1100 of the 1300 outlets in the UK are franchises. The largest only owns 43 outlets but still employs 3,500 people and coffee and tea are probably about the only things that are sourced abroad. So you'd just be hurting small UK businesses/farmers.