Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Dunno why Curbs feels the need to go over this.
    The record only needs "setting straight" in the minds of the blinkered and stupid.  His version of his departure has been down in black and white for 14 odd years since his book was published.
    It's not like anyone of note has ever cast doubt on it.
  • Options
    What I don't get with his leaving & saying that bringing in any new players in (what might have been) his last season is do agents ask how long a manager has left & do clubs always tell them ?  What about all the managers that are on 3 year deals who are then sacked within a few months of the season starting.

To me, Curbs should have stayed & seen out the last year and any new players coming should just have been told that his contract was going to be sorted during the season. Seems like we were asking for trouble when none might have existed.
    That’s very well argued. 
  • Options
    With the TV money rising rapidly the season after Curbs left he should have been given that last year and maybe nearing the end of the season we could have dangled a bigger budget and contract in front of him to keep him interested but Murray decided otherwise .
    Absolutely. If he had stayed, who knows what could've happened at the end of his contract. Well at least one thing is certain, we definitely wouldn't have got relegated in 2007! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    It has to be said I seem to remember there were a lot of comments like "he's taken us as far as he can", and general complaints about the side when he left "ie always picks his favorites", "hes got on the wrong side of Curbs". There wasn't a huge outpouring of grief and many thought we could do better, of course in hindsight..... and in the words of Miss Minogue "better the devil you know!"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    While I think some of our supporters thought that way, I am not sure it was anywhere near a majority; I was at Old Trafford on the last day of that season and those there seemed not to be welcoming a new era?!  Murray mad a massive mistake even if he had not kept Curbs his next 4 appointments all showed he did not have a clue, Dowie FFS.  I was not happy with that appointment the moment it was announced and then the signings he allowed Dowie to make, OMG.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think once he announced that he was going the atmosphere changed and people then wanted to express their thanks to Curbs, and to wish him well.
  • Options
    He said at the time that he was exhausted and had not had a proper holiday for years. He wanted a break to go and visit his sister in Australia. There was one year left on his contract and I said at the time that Murray should give him a three month break and then when he had re-charged his batteries, get him to extend his contract. Only a complete idiot thought we would do better without Curbs. He had over-achieved for so long that Murray thought he could just slot a new man into his place and everything would proceed as before. He was taken for granted by our board and some of our supporters. It did not take long to realise why we had been so successful, but by then it was too late.
    New Zealand
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Curbs was part of that ‘perfect wave’ that came along at Charlton. A fan base stripped back to its hardcore in the wilderness years at Sellout and Upton Park which has set the bar high for supporting the team/club that stands today. Back to the Valley; joint managers in Gritty and Curbs leading to Curbs eventual appointment as the sole manager; rebuilding of the Valley; promotion to the PL; catching a ‘lucky break’ in being relegated after one season to regroup and bounce back stronger; more rebuilding of the Valley. The club and team were flying. And then it stopped. We stopped the Valley development despite capacity or near capacity crowds every home game. Curbs was then having to compete against a league that was getting tougher and needed more and more money thrown at the playing squad. From that point Charlton was just treading water. It’s no wonder he may have felt like a break, a change of scenery or a long holiday (if that was the case), which of us doesn’t reach that point in our own jobs on a regular basis ? Did he have to go straight away ? My experience is probably yes to that question because it was so public. We’ve all worked with colleagues counting down the days, or at least we are even if they aren’t. That tends to fuck things up a bit. The question then is who replaces him. Dowie wasn’t the answer, giving him loads of money to bring in expensive new players into the squad and to change things wasn’t the answer. The club should have been looking at some sort of continuity to build on something that basically wasn’t broken, to ride that perfect wave that still had some way to go.
  • Options
    What I don't get with his leaving & saying that bringing in any new players in (what might have been) his last season is do agents ask how long a manager has left & do clubs always tell them ?  What about all the managers that are on 3 year deals who are then sacked within a few months of the season starting.

To me, Curbs should have stayed & seen out the last year and any new players coming should just have been told that his contract was going to be sorted during the season. Seems like we were asking for trouble when none might have existed.
    Different times though Golfie!

Back then, managers weren't sacked as quickly as some are now.

Some would say we started the "manager-go-round" trend when Dowie was sacked after just 12 league games, then Reed lasting even less time.

Curbs seeing his contract out would've quite possibly stopped the disasters that have followed over the 15 years since his departure. (Or at least delayed a decline somewhat.)

The season Dowie came in was seen as pivotal, in terms of PL prize money improving significantly.
    I understand Murray wanted stability, but I think he chose the wrong path.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Hal1x said:
    It has to be said I seem to remember there were a lot of comments like "he's taken us as far as he can", and general complaints about the side when he left "ie always picks his favorites", "hes got on the wrong side of Curbs". There wasn't a huge outpouring of grief and many thought we could do better, of course in hindsight..... and in the words of Miss Minogue "better the devil you know!"
    A few vociferous voices who probably haven't been to The Valley since we left the Premier League. I remember ACs tenure fondly - along with a good few others.

Here we see a mass of dissenting voices.

Charlton Athletic in the Premier League Thrashing Arsenal feared by  Manchester United and chasing the Champions League
    They nevertheless existed. And some are on here. They migrated here as I did from the old email based CAFC mailing list. I could name at least one of them. But that would be unfair. I think they just belong to a type of fan that blames the manager by default for every poor result. Every club has them, and the national team even more. 

For me the worst aspect of this time was the realisation that Murry had not, as I had  fondly supposed, got a list of names that he would approach, developed over say five years, for the inevitable time that Curbs would be gone, because all managers eventually go. So we put a recruitment ad for a manager in the Daily Mail, and knee-jerked our way into taking Dowie. And here we are today.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I always wondered why Curbs telling Charlton he would go after 12 months meant he had to go immediately. Players sign when the money etc is right, they are used to managers going at short notice - we were used to stability at The Valley, there isn't and wasn't much elsewhere.

What Murray never explained was why Curbs would have a budget of two million and Dowie got twelve. If Curbs was aware of this then I'm sure he would take it a a sign he was being eased out.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    He said at the time that he was exhausted and had not had a proper holiday for years. He wanted a break to go and visit his sister in Australia. There was one year left on his contract and I said at the time that Murray should give him a three month break and then when he had re-charged his batteries, get him to extend his contract. Only a complete idiot thought we would do better without Curbs. He had over-achieved for so long that Murray thought he could just slot a new man into his place and everything would proceed as before. He was taken for granted by our board and some of our supporters. It did not take long to realise why we had been so successful, but by then it was too late.
    New Zealand
    Went to New Zealand (20 years ago) to be the best man at a friends wedding. We hired a luxury car to take us to the venue and the driver was Alan's brother-in-law
  • Options
    I was sanguine about him going at the time. I didn’t know what was going on behind the scenes and believed in the club and it’s ability to keep moving forward. I didn’t want him to go but wasn’t surprised that he did.

I was wrong.
  • Options
    Our greatest manager bar none. 

I felt LB could start to try and emulate him - I would not be surprised if he does very well at Brum. 

This mistake, this mishandling, will forever haunt us, unless or until we become established in the top league of English football again. 

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I think there was a sense that Curbs was getting itchy feet/tired with things before it was announced he was leaving. I think the way he was messed around for the England job and a desire to test himself at an even higher level could have been a factor. That may have been a factor in Murray's decision, which did make sense at the time even if hindsight tells us it was a mistake.

I think it was a mistake on Curbs' part too although an understandable one. In all honesty he did a great job with West Ham who looked doomed when he took over, especially when we beat them 4-0. Admittedly, they cheated but that wasn't Cubs' fault. And then he didn't work again as a manager due to a public bust up with them.  

Bowyer is going to have to address weaknesses that became apparent last season to get close to Curbs. That is how you deal with a bit of adversity. Personally, I don't think the he has that in him. We shall see.
  • Options
    Still think he could do a job managing us and was disappointed he did not get appointed instead of Nigel....if he wanted the job....I think Roddy having worked with Nigel influenced that decision. You can see from Valley TV the players respected him and he has that cutting sense of humor....Bowyer wore his heart on his sleeve and should have left some comments in the dressing room...he will learn 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Still think he could do a job managing us and was disappointed he did not get appointed instead of Nigel....if he wanted the job....I think Roddy having worked with Nigel influenced that decision. You can see from Valley TV the players respected him and he has that cutting sense of humor....Bowyer wore his heart on his sleeve and should have left some comments in the dressing room...he will learn 
    I thought Bowyer would have learned from mistakes he made in his youth. To me, whether he will or won't has a massive question mark over it.

I think Curbs has a lot to offer on an advisory front. Due to the Valley Pass/Charlton TV gig, he knows a lot more about our players and the level than he may have done before it started. He can apply that to his great knowledge a spot things others may not and I hope we use him.