Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich Park/Chesnuts

Have been down to Greenwich Park this afternoon - I always find that a brisk uphill walk always gets the blood flowing and sorts you out no end. I even don't feel too bad about the result yesterday now - well not as bad as I did anyway.

I was amazed by the amount of people walking round the park with sticks whacking chesnuts down from the trees. These weren't kids looking for conkers you understand, but groups of adults doing it - most seemingly of east european extraction. Reckon I must've seen 40 or 50 of them all told.

Anyone got any clues as to what on earth they were all doing? Surely they don't all have one of them stalls down Oxford Street and the like where they sell them roasted in the lead up to Christmas? Or are they perhaps a bit of a delicacy in eastern europe? Or maybe it's just that these people were dirt poor - although they didn't exactly look it - and they were free? A very strange experience I can tell you.

Comments

• Options
    It is amazing how many chestnuts there are - they have been at it for weeks!!

It's the Chinese usually in the mornings, I assume they cook with them, but I tried once and it was not a good experience for my fingernails.
  • Options
    reckon they are too be sold.

decent mark up there !
  • Options
    I didn't realise there was such a market for them - or else I would've gone up there sooner with a big stick myself!
  • Options
    i was up there this morning.there are signs in english and chinese warning not to touch the trees to get the chestnuts.didn't need to touch the trees anyway as they were dropping hard and fast.
  • Options
    Brought back a memory from my chilhood there, roasted chesnuts stalls in central London, when did the last of those go 1985?
  • Options
    there is a guy who still does them at tower station.they have a great smell yet i have never been tempted.
  • Options
    Still get them eg Oxford Street
  • Options
    Always Used To Be A Roasted Chesnut Seller At The Top Of Floyd Road For Home Games In The Colder Weather,Many Years Ago.Tasted Great At Half Time,Picked Some Up Myself Recently From Greenwich Park.Really Nice Roasted, Or with Wine,or with Blood Red Meat.
    P/s.
    DO NOT MICROWAVE
  • Options
    We always collect some to use for the christmas day turkey stuffing.....

Can also buy them locally at public firework displays/bonfire nights. A bag in each pocket are great hand warmers!
  • Options
    Pikeys...you'll be eating hedgehog next.......;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont knock it til you've tried it...... Hedgehog tastes like chicken.