Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Going to the pub on your own

Wonderful quiet time, a chance to reflect, gather thoughts, read papers and be at peace with yourself

OR

A bit sad, feel out of place and that everyone is watching you

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    Dont care what anyone says, there is nothing nicer than walking into the pub with a paper or book and have a nice quiet pint by yourself. I did it just last week, when i left the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz welling game at half time, no one was looking.

I used to go to the Guy by myself when i was a regualar 9 years back, although i knew most people in there, but it never bothered me!
  • Options
    Probably more of the second. If i go in a pub on my own it will be a pub where either:

a) i know the barmaid/man

or

b) there is the chance that there is someone i know in there
  • Options
    All depends what type of boozer you are in and time of the week.

As a woman, i can walk into my local alone and feel happy to sit and watch the telly and read or just chat to the bar man. But would not go in to a packed pub knowing that i wouldnt know anyone in there.. .would feel sad and out of place.

Today i was meeting two girlfriends in a posh cock place for lunch. they were both 15 mins late, I felt a bit irritated but comfortable in the fact that i knew they were arriving soonish. I most certainly wouldnt have sat there throughout my lunch break for an hour alone as would have felt people watching.
  • Options
    Both.

Depends on my frame of mind at the time.
  • Options
    posh cock?!?!
  • Options
    I used to hate it...like you've got no friends and you always feel that everyone is staring at you, but over the years as long as I've got a paper to read or football/sport to watch then I don't mind.
  • Options
    depends on mood and choice of pub.
    the only true way to digest the sunday papers (during footie season) is a quick browse at the breakfast table followed by a more indepth read at the pub lunchtime.

this is usually followed by 2o'clock sky match, then 4o'clock skymatch, then football related argument with *insert plastic fan team*, then take-away, bed, and hangover.

note: i do have some friends (honest).
  • Options
    (B) unless I am away from home.
    I was in Edinburgh on my own earlier this year and for two nights I walked to the top of Arthur's Seat, then returning to a cosy little pub on the Royal Mile for a couple of pints and a spot of reading / feeding the jukebox before going for something to eat. Eating at a restaurant on your own is definitelty the self-concious saddo bit.

Holden Caulfield made an art form of it.
  • Options
    i hate it, don't feel relaxed, and tend to get drunk very easily. Must be because your body is tense.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i hate it, don't feel relaxed, and tend to get drunk very easily. Must be because your body is tense.

LMFAO.... Ive been known to nip into The Metro Bar or Alma for a quick pint and to finish off the paper, but get drunk...??

How long do you stay there for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i hate it, don't feel relaxed, and tend to get drunk very easily.
    Must be because your body is tense.
    that and the seven pints in two hours
  • Options
    sadly i'm not very good at the 'quick pint or two'.

once i've had one, it will then become a session. nothing more frustrating or unenjoyable than having to stop drinking at 2-4 pints. would rather of not had a drink in the first place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i hate it, don't feel relaxed, and tend to get drunk very easily. Must be because your body is tense.

the same,i just end up smashed out of my box.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Eating at a restaurant on your own is definitelty the self-concious saddo bit.
    What i'll be doing tonight i think. I'm holding a work event and won't be finished till nine so i'll be popping into Wagamama's for a katsu curry and a beer to chill out before i go home (otherwise i wont be eating).
  • Options
    I can relate to AFKA/ Threadkiller- especially when it's been me watching little old Charlton on Prem Plus or Moody on the box and i'm watching it alone on the Fulham Palace Road.

But sometimes a walk to the pub (especially when i had my dog) on my own, sit there with a pint or three and read the papers/ watch the world go by is a great way to pass an hour.
  • Options
    All depends on how long you go for and where it is.

Often go for a pint pre football/gig if im meeting someone later. Can happily read a paper/watch TV.

Sometimes pop in the local on the way home from work at say 10.30, can talk to a few people I know and order a curry.

However, going out without any reason, especially all night and especially in a boozer you dont normally go in is the action of a Palace fan and should be avoided at all costs.

Like others, if I just fancied a drink on my own with no time restraints I would get ruined.
  • Options
    I'm with MCS

I have been known to go in the Penderalls Oak in Holborn with my knowledge book - a pint and some revision - can't beat it.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]I'm with MCS

I have been known to go in the Penderalls Oak in Holborn with my knowledge book - a pint and some revision - can't beat it.

How can you think in that dump, so noisey and it ALWAYS smells of vomit downstairs.
  • Options
    Beacuse you don't have anyone to chat to you end up drinking really quickly... i order a second pint only realising i've got through the first one in about 4 minutes. Has to be the right sort of place though, nice propper pub not a busy bar. The only time i've gone against that rule was when i was away on business, i went to this total dive of a bar on the back of some hotel in dubai as i wasn't tired, it had some band playing and was like a meat market full of 40 year old Peggie Mitchell looking ex pats who looked at me like i was fresh meat, i didn't hang around for long...

And i agree with Salad, there is nothing worse than being away with work and eating in a restaurant on your own, the most depressing thing in the world. Room service all the way.
  • Options
    I can honestly say that I've only ever been into a boozer to drink on my own (i.e. not meeting anyone) two or three times in my whole life - and even then I left after one drink each time.

If I'm going to meet someone I always try to make sure I've got a paper or something else to read in case I'm there first. I hate being in pubs on my own, not least because there is nothing else to do apart from drink and I find I end up drinking a pint every 5 minutes!

The thought of sitting in a pub with a nice relaxing pint reading the paper does appeal, but never works for me in practice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't choose to go to a pub on my own but dont mind waiting to meet someone in one as long as I know they're coming. Prefer to also be familiar with the pub of choosing. My 'insecure' side ....
  • Options
    Just to re-iterate, i wouldnt do this all night, like say go out to a banging pub and sit there perving over the minky and staying all night, this thread means that say at lunch break and ya mate dont wanna come to pub with ya for one reason or t'other i would still go, and not worry as i will have a linen draper under me arm have a pint or 3 (tops) and not worry about it at all.
  • Options
    "the minky"

lol
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think I'm gonna have to open urban dictionary everytime I read one of MCS's posts ;-)

Minky:

A word used to describe a particularly sexy woman or women.

1. Check out that bit of minky over there...

OR

2. The boozer is full of minky on Saturdays!
  • Options
    you lot never eard of minky then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]I'm with MCS

How can you think in that dump, so noisey and it ALWAYS smells of vomit downstairs.

It ain't that bad Stu --
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Theres just nicer places, if I need to read something over with some peace and quiet I nip into the Colony just round the corner, which is generally lovely and peacefull.

Or the old nick round the back of the family court is also very, very nice.
  • Options
    Posted By: MCS[/cite]you lot never eard of minky then?

err, no
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]you lot never eard of minky then?

err, no

Sorry D, but that was aimed at the men of the forum, i wouldnt expect you or any other minky to no what it means!! its like man-code!! ;-)
  • Options
    Up until I met a load of the reprobates on here starting with my good friend MCS, I always went to Floyds on my own before every Charlton match as I did not know another Charlton fan who used to go to the games. Needless to say that all changed at the start of last season.