Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

another damage to car post - Advice needed - criminal damage

Some wanker keyed my car in Tesco car park and drove off. I have the reg of the car and 99% sure the cameras in the car park will have spotted it.

Under criminal damage, I have reported it to the police, but expect they will take no action.

Is there anyway that I can track the van down using the reg plate?

Comments

• No way. Which one?

I am seeing some real twa*s out there on the roads at the moment. After a year of Lockdowns, it's hard to adjust to these attitudes. 
  • edited May 2021
    mendonca said:
    No way. Which one?

I am seeing some real twa*s out there on the roads at the moment. After a year of Lockdowns, it's hard to adjust to these attitudes. 
    Lewisham. I never go Tesco in Lewisham, but had to drop something off in New Cross so was on the way.

• Pay a private detective to discover who he is, pay him a visit and fuck him up 

I'm not even joking this sort of thing is a pet hate of mine 
  • The police will probably do fuck all unfortunately. My mate’s car was driven into a couple of years ago, he saw it happen, took the reg and even had a witness from a car across the road. Admittedly, there wasn’t much damage but they simply weren’t interested.
  • It seems crazy how much crime the police just don’t bother with, even when there’s a ton of evidence that would make their job easy. Has it always been like this? 
  • Tesco Lewisham ffs.

I bought a new car in November. Parked it there 2 days after picking it up and walked back out to find a huge red gouge out of the bumper where somebody had obviously scraped it reversing out of the adjacent space. So not deliberate but obviously just drove off. Reported it to the police as I was so incensed given a brand new car and police station is just round the corner, but unsurprisingly they weren’t interested 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think you've got a couple of choices, neither of which are good. Get your insurance company to deal with it, depending on your no claims and excess may not be worth it or really kick off and try and get the police to do it. If you can get the ID of the van owner you could consider a private claim, but getting that may be more trouble than it's worth. 

On the police not being interested, since the Conservatives have successfully defunded them, there's loads of things they won't look at. Even with the evidence. I don't think there's a single other public service that this would be tolerated in. 
  • rananegra said:
    I think you've got a couple of choices, neither of which are good. Get your insurance company to deal with it, depending on your no claims and excess may not be worth it or really kick off and try and get the police to do it. If you can get the ID of the van owner you could consider a private claim, but getting that may be more trouble than it's worth. 

On the police not being interested, since the Conservatives have successfully defunded them, there's loads of things they won't look at. Even with the evidence. I don't think there's a single other public service that this would be tolerated in. 
    I know we are not supposed to get into politics but budgets for 2017/8 £3.29bn, 2018/19 £3.33bn, 2019/20 £3.66b and 2002/21 £3.89bn for the Metropolitan Police does not sound like defunding to me.
    The police like to see themselves as professionals.  Name one other profession that gets paid overtime. The plod just need to get on with the work frankly.  Their incompetence and wastefulness knows no bounds. Remember all that crap with Keohane and victimising supporters? How much did that waste? They should be doing a much better job for the money they get. 
  • Carter said:
    Pay a private detective to discover who he is, pay him a visit and fuck him up 

I called a couple of PI's, it's illegal for them to get an address using a reg number.

They said the only people that can legally do that is the DVLA and the police. Sadly I don't know anyone in either profession. Can anyone on here help?

Thanks to all the people that have offered advice and sympathy.
  • PopIcon said:
    Carter said:
    Pay a private detective to discover who he is, pay him a visit and fuck him up 

I called a couple of PI's, it's illegal for them to get an address using a reg number.

They said the only people that can legally do that is the DVLA and the police. Sadly I don't know anyone in either profession. Can anyone on here help?

Thanks to all the people that have offered advice and sympathy.
    You can request the information from the DVLA directly. V888 form. Not guaranteed but worth a crack.
  • PopIcon said:
    If you want the police to investigate the incident you should mention the racial epithet they shouted at you as they drove off.
    I did consider mentioning this in my crime report, I mean hypothetically It could have been racially motivated. It's not a can of worms I really fancy opening to be honest. Thanks though.
    It wasn't a particularly serious comment on my part, I think you did the right thing.
  • You can find out if it was taxed ,free, and insured ,£5 charge, easily enough. MOT as well for free. Least it will then have a registered keeper but were they driving it?. Wiil he grass up his mate who did the keying?. Hard to prove in court if it even gets to court. Private visit to have a word seems to be the only way forward, If you can find him, and pay a bodyshop to repaint to avoid loss of NCD.
  • You can find out if it was taxed ,free, and insured ,£5 charge, easily enough. MOT as well for free. Least it will then have a registered keeper but were they driving it?. Wiil he grass up his mate who did the keying?. Hard to prove in court if it even gets to court. Private visit to have a word seems to be the only way forward, If you can find him, and pay a bodyshop to repaint to avoid loss of NCD.
    I checked for free on the DVLA website. Both taxed and MOT'd until April 2022.

I'll probably just end up pouring sugar in the petrol tank and shoving the thick cloth down the exhaust pipe.
  • edited May 2021
    My son's car was keyed last week.
    It wasn't too bad and T Cut got rid of even a trace.
    The T Cut was about 30 years old as well :smile:  
    Remarkable, I haven't looked up how that magic stuff works.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for this, another person on the thread mentioned the V888. 

I will fill this in and try the t-cut. I'm hoping as time passes I'll be less jaded and inclined to have a word with the person.
  • PopIcon said:
    Some wanker keyed my car in Tesco car park and drove off. I have the reg of the car and 99% sure the cameras in the car park will have spotted it.

Under criminal damage, I have reported it to the police, but expect they will take no action.

If you ask the manager in Tesco they should be able to confirm if the area of the carpark is covered, and then you can request a copy of the CCTV that usually costs an admin fee of about £10 and can go back up to 28 days (assuming they work in a similar way to the supermarket I work for), or let the police know and they can get a copy for free. 

Re comments about police not bothering about this stuff, we have had numerous calls from them asking if our cameras have picked up incidents like this (the most recent being last week where one car reversed out of a parking space into another car (that the driver happened to be sat in) and then drove off), so while it may, unfortunately, not be high on the priority list, they do investigate and request CCTV where they believe it will aid a case.
  • addix said:
    PopIcon said:

If you ask the manager in Tesco they should be able to confirm if the area of the carpark is covered, and then you can request a copy of the CCTV that usually costs an admin fee of about £10 and can go back up to 28 days (assuming they work in a similar way to the supermarket I work for), or let the police know and they can get a copy for free. 

Re comments about police not bothering about this stuff, we have had numerous calls from them asking if our cameras have picked up incidents like this (the most recent being last week where one car reversed out of a parking space into another car (that the driver happened to be sat in) and then drove off), so while it may, unfortunately, not be high on the priority list, they do investigate and request CCTV where they believe it will aid a case.
    I did exactly this with my incident at the exact same store. 

Tesco told me they couldn’t give me CCTV footage it had to be via police. Police said they didn’t have resources to investigate. 
  • I reversed in the supermarket car park last week at the exact time the bloke "opposite/behind me" did.
    We "gently" reversed into each other, no damage done.
    It did make me laugh, what are the chances?
  • Find out where they live. Put a hosepipe through there letterbox while there a sleep or turn there water off in the street and fill the hole with rapid cement. Ps I’m not bitter or twisted 
  • As the incident occurred on private property, I suspect they see it as a civil matter rather than criminal, so will be less inclined to get involved.
  • Find out where they live. Put a hosepipe through there letterbox while there a sleep or turn there water off in the street and fill the hole with rapid cement. Ps I’m not bitter or twisted 
    Just don’t leave any concrete evidence.
  • I'd be inclined to take on the chin, not inform my insurance company and try and chalk it up to one of life's wonderful experiences.
    As frustrating as it is it will get more frustrating the harder you chase various people and companies. The next time you renew you car insurance one of the questions asked will be, have you been involved in any accidents or made any claims in the last X amount of years. That one alone would make me opt for a bottle of colour matched T cut or if that fails a call to Chips Away.

My car was damaged soon after I got outside Screwfix at Ruxley. A nice little van rear door mark on my boot lid, right on a crease. Absolutely nothing I could do about, no one  saw it happen and no one owned up to it. I was spitting feathers about it at the time but such is life, nothing I could do.   
  • edited May 2021
    cafcfan said:
    rananegra said:
    I think you've got a couple of choices, neither of which are good. Get your insurance company to deal with it, depending on your no claims and excess may not be worth it or really kick off and try and get the police to do it. If you can get the ID of the van owner you could consider a private claim, but getting that may be more trouble than it's worth. 

I know we are not supposed to get into politics but budgets for 2017/8 £3.29bn, 2018/19 £3.33bn, 2019/20 £3.66b and 2002/21 £3.89bn for the Metropolitan Police does not sound like defunding to me.
    The police like to see themselves as professionals.  Name one other profession that gets paid overtime. The plod just need to get on with the work frankly.  Their incompetence and wastefulness knows no bounds. Remember all that crap with Keohane and victimising supporters? How much did that waste? They should be doing a much better job for the money they get. 
    I don't want to talk politics either but this is very misleading. The Met's grant fell 29% between 2010-2018. And those numbers you're sharing are 1-2% increases. So effectively, in about 10-20 years they might have the same funding they did in 2010. 

Also in 2010 the Metropolitan Police had 4.1 officers per 1,000 Londoners but in 2018, after cuts to police spending, the ratio dropped to 3.3 officers per 1,000 – the lowest point for twenty years. The cuts are very real and fractional increases being made now don't scratch the surface of what's been done before.

Happy to continue this on the house of commoners. 
  • Chunes said:
    cafcfan said:
    rananegra said:

I don't want to talk politics either but this is very misleading. The Met's grant fell 29% between 2010-2018. And those numbers you're sharing are 1-2% increases. So effectively, in about 10-20 years they might have the same funding they did in 2010. 

Also in 2010 the Metropolitan Police had 4.1 officers per 1,000 Londoners but in 2018, after cuts to police spending, the ratio dropped to 3.3 officers per 1,000 – the lowest point for twenty years. The cuts are very real and fractional increases being made now don't scratch the surface of what's been done before.

Happy to continue this on the house of commoners. 
    By my maths the increase over the last year is around 6%. And the number of officers is at its highest level since 2010. Since 2018 they have also added around 1,000 civilian staff. How does that work?  That's all from me too.