Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup every two years...?

Comments

• Options
    Makes sense to me 
  • Options
    What happens to the euros? Surely they won't have something every summer. Although, knowing them, that's probably a long-term aim
  • Options

• Options
    please no .. presumably it'll be 128 teams competing
  • Options
    Personally I would hate this, and would signal another blow for finances first over sport, but fortunately I don't think it would happen. 
  • Options
    More hosts, more money. Less quality. 
  • Options
    Let’s sort out racism and corrupt owners first eh lads?
  • Options
    I think Euros then World Cup works. Euros is a high quality event and having the World Cup every four years gives it more gravitas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How long since the ESL crisis?
  • Options
    The worry is that many at the top of the game, and the ESL demonstrated this, don't understand the balance between tradition and money. We could get to the point were it isn't important to win things and your aim is to make the biggest profit every year! In the heads of these people, we may already have reached it!
  • Options
    Maybe I"m old school but the great thing about the World Cup is it's a rare event, I can remember every single world cup back to 98 and have some great memories of them as I'm sure others do. It feels slightly cringe admitting this now but back when I was younger and had less responsibilities I remember booking the entire 2010 World Cup off work and watching practically every match. Great times and still look back fondly on it now.

Making it every two years just dilutes the whole thing to me and makes it just another tournament like all the others.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I feel like less is more sometimes, I understand the reasons behind more games being on live TV recently because of Covid but I feel like there's a danger things are getting over saturated. There's been many a week when there's been a minimum of 1-2 games every week night on TV, and some Saturday and Sundays Sky have had 3-4 games.  

I know nobody is forced to watch the games but I do feel we are getting to a point where football needs to re-assess whether it wants quality or quantity. All these ideas, whether it's this, the ESL, the Champions League expansion, seem to be driven not by wanting to deliver the best product but solely by wanting to squeeze as much money out of the product as possible so.

I'm not sure how much more they can milk the cow to be honest. 

I did that once in my younger days. Also, In 2002, my office had a bar which it opened for the early games  serving bacon butties and you could take a long lunch and watch the lunchtime game making up the hours afterwards. It was a decent atmosphere and I was one of the few that even watched the shit games.
  • Options
    please no .. presumably it'll be 128 teams competing
    Hopefully it will be held annually with at least 200 teams competing. The top nations (15) will get byes into the last 16 with one available space for the rest. 
  • Options
    Just leave it as it is FFS. 
  • Options
    Just leave it as it is FFS. 
    Don't be ridiculous!
  • Options
    Maybe I"m old school but the great thing about the World Cup is it's a rare event, I can remember every single world cup back to 98 and have some great memories of them as I'm sure others do. It feels slightly cringe admitting this now but back when I was younger and had less responsibilities I remember booking the entire 2010 World Cup off work and watching practically every match. Great times and still look back fondly on it now.

Making it every two years just dilutes the whole thing to me and makes it just another tournament like all the others.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I feel like less is more sometimes, I understand the reasons behind more games being on live TV recently because of Covid but I feel like there's a danger things are getting over saturated. There's been many a week when there's been a minimum of 1-2 games every week night on TV, and some Saturday and Sundays Sky have had 3-4 games.  

I know nobody is forced to watch the games but I do feel we are getting to a point where football needs to re-assess whether it wants quality or quantity. All these ideas, whether it's this, the ESL, the Champions League expansion, seem to be driven not by wanting to deliver the best product but solely by wanting to squeeze as much money out of the product as possible so.

I did that once in my younger days. Also, In 2002, my office had a bar which it opened for the early games  serving bacon butties and you could take a long lunch and watch the lunchtime game making up the hours afterwards. It was a decent atmosphere and I was one of the few that even watched the shit games.
    Wish I worked for an employer like that! I've always been lucky in years gone by that the nature of my work meant as long as the work was done I could pretty much get it done as and when needed (within reason) so always been able to watch the games I wanted too. Had a total career change last year though and now on shifts with no chance of watching anything whilst at work so reckon 2022 will be a bit hit and miss for me sadly unless I record the games and watch them later but not quite the same.

• Options
    edited May 2021

Wish I worked for an employer like that! I've always been lucky in years gone by that the nature of my work meant as long as the work was done I could pretty much get it done as and when needed (within reason) so always been able to watch the games I wanted too. Had a total career change last year though and now on shifts with no chance of watching anything whilst at work so reckon 2022 will be a bit hit and miss for me sadly unless I record the games and watch them later but not quite the same.

It was actually the Civil Service pre austerity. Mind you, we didn't work any less hard and were happy so in all honesty we were more productive. I left to go self employed after years of no pay rises and the bar closing down, which actually made money btw. They didn't like you enjoying your job!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something “wrong” with the World Cup? Who knew……..ffs..
  • Options
    football has fucked up every thing else so far, just carry on.

• Options
    FIFA are the new Slade.
  • Options
    Even if it did happen every two years we still wouldn’t get to host it during my lifetime, 
  • Options
    Yay more football games. More isn't always better, the World Cup is pretty much perfect as it is right now,every 4 years it means something. 32 teams as well. Please don't change it 
  • Options
    Even if it did happen every two years we still wouldn’t get to host it during my lifetime, 
    Or win it.