Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Perfect Moments In Pop Songs

Not whole songs, not even anything as long as a verse or a chorus but fleeting moments that are just perfect. Perhaps a riff or a lick, a line from the lyrics or maybe just a single sound.

1. Pink Floyd - Bike. The little run of notes of the piano as he sings "Ginger Bread Men".
2. Blancmange - The Day Before  Before you Game. The little refrain of the Coronation Street Theme after mentioning Dallas.
3. Chas & Dave - Ain't No Pleasing You. The single drum beat to mark the re-start after the pause.
4. Pulp - Common People. Jarvis saying "I'll see what I can do"
5. The Stranglers - Down In The Sewer. Everything going down the plug hole after that magnificent speeding up end. 

Comments

• The drum roll halfway through Brimful of Asha 
  • The opening chords to The Kinks You Really got Me.

Keith Moon’s drumming at the end of the synth solo on Won’t get Fooled again

The riff at the start of Stay With Me by The Faces

John Entwistle’s bass solo in My Generation

• The opening riff on Back in Black by ACDC
  • The release of that big old riff at the beginning of Metallica’s ‘Enter Sandman’.

Charlton TV subscribers will know it!
  • The unexplainable phrase at the end of Calm Down dearest - Jamie T

'yeah, your cool, twat, fkin cnts doing wheelies on bikes mate, I just wanna fkin run em over.

Love that for some reason. 
  • The opening riff on 'Smoke on the water'.

The pause then the acoustic guitar solo kicking in on 'Make me smile (come up and see me)'
  • The drum roll at the start of Born to Run. You’ve heard a drum roll on millions of songs, but you know that one instantly. 
  • edited May 2021
    Madness, Night boat to Cairo..and then it kicks off again.
  • Sponsored links:

• The intro to Alternative Ulster when the loud chords kick in.
    Though it goes downhill a bit after that 
  • The cowbell intro to Honky Tonk Women
  • Roxette - how do you do

just the perfect pop song
  • 25 seconds intro to new life,Depeche mode.
    Perfect for me.
  • The acapella "Grand Coulee Dam" section of the Beach Boys song Cabinessence.

Robert Fripp's guitar part at the end of the first verse of King Crimson's "Cadence and Cascade"

The opening riff to the Kinks "Lola"

The way Diana Ross sings the word "Reflections" in the first verse of the song of the same name.

The way Merry Clayton literally screams the word "Murder" (in tune) on the Stones song Gimme Shelter.
  • Agnetha and Frida's You can dance, you can jive' 20 seconds into 'Dancing Queen'...a song I'll be getting my Year 8 class to rate tomorrow morning, as it's Eurovision this weekend. Will it knock The Jackson 5 from the top of the class's charts?
  • Soft Cell's ever lowering portamento synth sound on the bridge between Tainted Love and Where Did Our Love Go. 
  • Agnetha and Frida's You can dance, you can jive' 20 seconds into 'Dancing Queen'...a song I'll be getting my Year 8 class to rate tomorrow morning, as it's Eurovision this weekend. Will it knock The Jackson 5 from the top of the class's charts?
    Big abba fan mate.
  • 60 seconds intro to lust for life. 
    Iggy pop...brilliant....you can tell I do a radio show 🤣🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Awesome thread.

The Goodfellas piano interlude in Layla

The plane engine intersected by "Look mummy there is an aeroplane in the sky"...in fact you could probably have a whole thread on the masterpiece that is The Wall album.

The final verse of America by Simon and Garfunkel and the false promise of the American dream. (Sorry i know that's cheating as a verse!)

Cafe del Mar the crescendo literally has a physical effect on me

Shed 7 Chasing Rainbows... (and then I miss my cue) always wondered if it was contrived or whether it just happened organically)

Inspiral carpets....first time you hear it and think it's just a bog standard tortured love song but each line gives you a clearer picture until you clock what has happened. Builds up such vivid character arcs in less than3.5 minutes.

In a similar vein Rows and rows of disused milk floats. Stand dying in the dairy yard. And a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk. Bottles to their hearts. The Jam Town Called Malice

0.45 seconds of Bicep Glue.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZxRs45tTg 

Marr's guitar intro to How Soon is Now

When the first I am the resurrection kicks in in stone roses' classic

First few beats of Prodigy's No good for me

The 3 second vocal pause in Felix's Dont you want my love before the chorus kicks in.

Also the silence in faithless insomnia before the chorus drops.

The guitar riff after the Love you love you love you music part in massive attack's angel

Jimmy Somerville's opening vocal "aaaah" in runaway and the subsequent keyboard

Tupac changes- always gotta worry about the pay back.  Chilling.

The opening music and first line of it's a sin by pet shop boys. 

She breaks down and cries to her husband. Daddy, our baby's gone. Beatles she's leaving home. Proper choker that.

The bells in Luniz i got 5 on it

The melodic guitar intro and then snappy "Trust I seek" part of metallica's nothing else matters.

Steve Tyler's vocal range in Dream on.  Shame he doesn't sing more in his normal voice.

Underworld Born slippy when the first notes of the song play. Unmistakable.

Ice cube's effortless patter in It was a good day

The music hook in Nuthin but a G Thang by Dr Dre.

The start of Slash's melancholic guitar solo in November rain

Well that's killed the evening!

• Opening bars intro of Baba O’Riley.......The Who.

Piccolo trumpet solo......Penny Lane The Beatles.
  • The accidental phone ringing at the end of Life on Mars. 

The mandolin intro to Maggie May

“A child is born with no state of mind” verse in The Message

The segue between parts 1 and 2 of Band on the run

• Loved the multi guitar entrances on many of the Eagles numbers,Take it easy,and Hotel California are classics.
    Albert Lee intro on Country Boy is pretty special
    So many come to mind but one of my favourite tracks is Mark knopfler and Chet Atkins playing "theyll be some changes made"guitar playing is something else.
  • The fading motor cycle at the very end of Baby driver by Simon and Garfunkle

Totally agree re the mandolin intro to Maggie May
  • bobmunro said:
    The opening riff on 'Smoke on the water'.

The pause then the acoustic guitar solo kicking in on 'Make me smile (come up and see me)'
    Bit of triv...........
    Played by Jim Creggan, (who was married to Linda "It's in his Kiss" Lewis), and was Best Man at Rod's wedding to Penny Lancaster.
    Can't come up and see you till Burton away but hope that made you smile :)
  • The beginning of Dock of The Bay. Also its a live version of the song but when Muse do Plug In Baby
  • Drum solo in Funeral Pyre, the Jam
  • Awesome thread.

The Goodfellas piano interlude in Layla

The plane engine intersected by "Look mummy there is an aeroplane in the sky"...in fact you could probably have a whole thread on the masterpiece that is The Wall album.

The final verse of America by Simon and Garfunkel and the false promise of the American dream. (Sorry i know that's cheating as a verse!)

Cafe del Mar the crescendo literally has a physical effect on me

Shed 7 Chasing Rainbows... (and then I miss my cue) always wondered if it was contrived or whether it just happened organically)

Inspiral carpets....first time you hear it and think it's just a bog standard tortured love song but each line gives you a clearer picture until you clock what has happened. Builds up such vivid character arcs in less than3.5 minutes.

In a similar vein Rows and rows of disused milk floats. Stand dying in the dairy yard. And a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk. Bottles to their hearts. The Jam Town Called Malice

0.45 seconds of Bicep Glue.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZxRs45tTg 

Marr's guitar intro to How Soon is Now

When the first I am the resurrection kicks in in stone roses' classic

First few beats of Prodigy's No good for me

The 3 second vocal pause in Felix's Dont you want my love before the chorus kicks in.

Also the silence in faithless insomnia before the chorus drops.

The guitar riff after the Love you love you love you music part in massive attack's angel

Jimmy Somerville's opening vocal "aaaah" in runaway and the subsequent keyboard

Tupac changes- always gotta worry about the pay back.  Chilling.

The opening music and first line of it's a sin by pet shop boys. 

She breaks down and cries to her husband. Daddy, our baby's gone. Beatles she's leaving home. Proper choker that.

The bells in Luniz i got 5 on it

The melodic guitar intro and then snappy "Trust I seek" part of metallica's nothing else matters.

Steve Tyler's vocal range in Dream on.  Shame he doesn't sing more in his normal voice.

Underworld Born slippy when the first notes of the song play. Unmistakable.

Ice cube's effortless patter in It was a good day

The music hook in Nuthin but a G Thang by Dr Dre.

The start of Slash's melancholic guitar solo in November rain

Well that's killed the evening!

That is so spooky. Mentioned this the other day at the cafe in the middle of a bike ride. I still can't hear a small prop plane without instantly thinking about that - no idea why it's stuck with me since I first heard it 40 years ago 
  • The intro and initial opening riff of 'Doomsday' by Architects

The breakdown in 'Be Quiet And Drive' by Deftones

Every single second of 'Enjoy the Silence' by Depeche Mode

'The minor fall and the major lift' line in 'Hallelujah' by Jeff Buckley

And the crowning moment in musical history, for me - when the orchestra comes back in after the melancholy guitar in Rodrigo's 'Concierto de Aranjuez'. If you're ever at a live performance of that masterpiece and don't weep at the beauty of it, you have no soul