Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reorganisation of railways (NSFW)

Comments

• Options
    Can't see this getting closed in about 5...4...3...2...1....
  • Options
    Creeping nationalisation.  Typical Tories.
  • Options
    Seriously though, about time the chaos of our transport system was brought under control.
  • Options
    That’s huge news.
  • Options
    Excellent news.

Let's hope for more of the same - energy and water would be a good start.
  • Options
    Looks like good news to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I work as an engineer on the railway and I can guarantee this will be one big balls up and will take forever to happen if ever . 

As we say . There’s the wrong way, the right way and there’s the Railway. 

• Options
    Probably the only link on here I’ve ever read in full!
    There’s no way, you lasted that long.
  • Options
    Hopefully one day it will be cheaper to get a train from London to Cornwall than to fly from London to Marrakech.
    June 22nd fares are     Paddington to Penzance         £70.90   
                                       BA Heathrow to Marrakech     £118.00 

Rail fare could be cheaper but doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • Options

"
    If the plan is followed through and properly implemented .........".

• Options
    Hopefully one day it will be cheaper to get a train from London to Cornwall than to fly from London to Marrakech.

Remember, it takes 5 and a half hours by train from Paddington to Penzance.

Quicker to fly from London to Marrakech. Bargain! :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Is it still quicker when you add on the time taken to get to the Airport and deal with having to be there two hours before you fly etc. ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Is it still quicker when you add on the time taken to get to the Airport and deal with having to be there two hours before you fly etc. ;)
    What about stuck in a taxi in South Ken traffic - and have to leg it to all the way to Paddington in a sweat?
    Only to find the Penzance service is severely delayed due to "operational difficulties".

And that's before you're stopped for an hour en route because of signal failure at Taunton. :neutral:

• Options
    Seems like a good idea, let’s wait and see how the execution of the idea turns out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It might take some time to get right but when it is done and dusted, it'll mean a better and fairer system without foreign owned franchises taking big money out of the system .. AND, I was recently surprised to read that the channel tunnel is owned by a French company
  • Options

How much does it cost in petrol to drive from Paddington to Penzance?

For me rail fares need to be brought down in a way that gives people an alternative to using their own cars.

Yes I'll have my own privacy in my car, but the fact it'll cost £70.90 per person (via. train), to get down to Penzance, compared to £50 (the cost of a full tank in my car, which'll easily get down there) which could be spread over five people remains a no-brainer
    I'm not saying the rail fares shouldn't be reduced but London to Penzance costs more in a car than just the petrol.  Depreciation, opportunity cost, insurance, road tax, servicing, etc. are all part of the costs of a car journey.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

But you've booked a cottage in Cornwall!!
  • Options

For me rail fares need to be brought down in a way that gives people an alternative to using their own cars.

Yes I'll have my own privacy in my car, but the fact it'll cost £70.90 per person (via. train), to get down to Penzance, compared to £50 (the cost of a full tank in my car, which'll easily get down there) which could be spread over five people remains a no-brainer
    I'm not saying the rail fares shouldn't be reduced but London to Penzance costs more in a car than just the petrol.  Depreciation, opportunity cost, insurance, road tax, servicing, etc. are all part of the costs of a car journey.
    Third off rail fare if you're more than one person. Or if you're young or old!

Comparison with cost of hiring car for the journey might be more realistic.
  • Options
    It might take some time to get right but when it is done and dusted, it'll mean a better and fairer system without foreign owned franchises taking big money out of the system .. AND, I was recently surprised to read that the channel tunnel is owned by a French company
    Unless I have misunderstood something, the same foreign owned companies will be able to tender for franchises, as now.
    The change is going to be a new organisation (GBR) that will take over the awarding and administration of the franchises, a job currently done by the DfT. 
    This organisation will eventually absorb Network Rail, which is currently the infrastructure manager.
  • Options

There are hidden costs but taking four people by train to Penzance by train or by car is for most people a no brainer choice of car every time. Cheaper by far and more convenient.  Train fares are prohibitive for family journeys. If car journeys need to be discouraged then train fares must fall significantly. 
  • Options
    Creeping nationalisation.  Typical Tories.
    Boris nicking a populist Corbyn policy.

On Twitter, I’m told Boris is a facist though... what should I believe?

Seriously, as Labour voter, I welcome this.... plus it makes Corbyn even more irrelevant. Win Win.
    Are you sure he hasn't nicked Mussolini's policy of 'making the trains run on time'  ;)
  • Options
    "He told the BBC the changes did not mean fares would inevitably rise, but could not give guarantees."

Doesn't look like it's getting cheaper to me. 

Either they do it the correct way, or you'll end up with some stations only having one train a day due to lack of money coming in from it.