Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Richard Bland!

I just wanted to say congrats to Richard Bland, after 478 appearances on the European tour he has never won a tournament. Today at the ripe old age of 48, he finally won his first, The British Masters, played at The Belfry!
He won a play off against a 24 year old Italian who has already won twice on the tour.
Richards willingness to keep going after all those years without winning (I think he has come 2nd twice and 3rd twice) shows guts and tenacity, and strikes a blow for us oldies!!
Well done sir.

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't agree more 👍
  • Options
    There wasn’t a dry eye in the house
  • Options
    A very popular player judging by the fact that pretty much all of the commentary team were choked up. 
  • Options
    I thought he had missed his chance when he didnt birdie either of the final 2 par 5's......but the birdie putt on 18 in regular play was immense. He was helped a bit by his opponent knocking his first putt 10 foot past in the play off but always great to see a journeyman golfer win a prestigious tournament. 
  • Options
    A very popular player judging by the fact that pretty much all of the commentary team were choked up. 
    To be honest I was choked up as well. He has been a stalwart of the European tour, but could never quite cross the line first. Today he took one of the biggest tournaments on the tour, secured a 3 year exemption, and, I believe, got a place at the US Open. 
  • Options
    I thought he had missed his chance when he didnt birdie either of the final 2 par 5's......but the birdie putt on 18 in regular play was immense. He was helped a bit by his opponent knocking his first putt 10 foot past in the play off but always great to see a journeyman golfer win a prestigious tournament. 
    Couldn't agree more @golfaddick
  • Options
    To be honest I was choked up as well. He has been a stalwart of the European tour, but could never quite cross the line first. Today he took one of the biggest tournaments on the tour, secured a 3 year exemption, and, I believe, got a place at the US Open. 
    Plus WGC events, Ryder cup points and possibly an Open spot.
  • Options
    Great sporting moment - utterly uplifting stuff 
  • Options
    The perfect name for the sport of Golf ... ( Tin hat on ) 
  • Options
    Congratulations to Richard Bland.

A triumph of tenacity and durability.

If at first you don't succeed.....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lad at our club caddied for him last year, described him as a pleasure to work with (when I say ‘lad’ at our club, he’s in his early fifties!)
  • Options
    The playoff with his 5w approach from the ball sitting down, with opponent 50 yards ahead sitting pretty was very very good!
  • Options
    Congratulations to Richard Bland.

A triumph of tenacity and durability.

If at first you don't succeed.....

Try another 477 times.....
  • Options
    A heartwarming victory. 
    Loved the interview afterwards too.
    David Drysdale to hopefully do the same and get a tour victory after 600+ attempts.