Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IBM TM1 Perspectives (Cognos)

Apologies for the dull post, which isn’t linking us to Darren Purse, Hayden Mullins, Julian Gray or Andy Delort...

Has anyone on the forum had any exposure to the above system at all? I use it at work to generate financial information for our board packs, and other reporting.

May well be looking for some help (paid of course!) from an experienced TM1 Guru. Especially with experience in building multiple financial reports and modelling.

Stab in the dark, but thought I’d give it a go...

If anyone knows anyone, please do let me know...

Comments

• Options
    Oh god that takes me back, although I haven't used Cognos for donkey's years. I've probably still got the original training manuals in a box somewhere from when they sent me out on a course to Slough (iirc) to learn all about it.
  • Options
    Cognos?

I've got an abacus you can borrow.
  • Options

• Options
    Cognos

Christ almighty that was some grim software back in the day. I was a DBA for a while - OLTP mainly but also did a bit of OLAP. I remember hours of waiting for a run to finish processing and hoping it'd done what you wanted properly (before the days of pre-committing and seeing a results sample ahead of the full commit).

Worst part of doing this was I ended up getting dragged into everything from crystal reports, to business objects and even excel - and everything in between

Left that behind 15 years ago, thankfully!

Sorry - I realise that doesn't help much... 😏
  • Options
    I use TM1 in my current role, only been here 6 months so I'm far from a guru. I can let you know the name of the company we deal with when we need help fixing anything, not sure if that's what you're after though.
  • Options
    Cognos

Christ almighty that was some grim software back in the day. I was a DBA for a while - OLTP mainly but also did a bit of OLAP. I remember hours of waiting for a run to finish processing and hoping it'd done what you wanted properly (before the days of pre-committing and seeing a results sample ahead of the full commit).

Worst part of doing this was I ended up getting dragged into everything from crystal reports, to business objects and even excel - and everything in between

Left that behind 15 years ago, thankfully!

Sorry - I realise that doesn't help much... 😏
    It helps a lot. It tells the OP he’s starting from the wrong place. 
  • Options
    Cognos!  I just regressed to a far darker place.

There should be a few old timers still around to help.  Good luck.
  • Options
    I inherited a TM1 shit show on an interim job last year.  I discovered that firms with decent TM1 experience are very thin on the ground and the one we were using, which was piss poor, was the one that my mates in IBM reckoned should have been the best of a bad bunch.  

Sorry that's also not very helpful!  DM though and I'll see if I can help with some pointers or at least tell you who to avoid.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    This software was installed about 15 years ago, and it seems like everyone who know about it cease to exist.

May have to get a person in to redesign the whole thing. But if you do have a company/person you use, please DM me. 
  • Options
    I was going to suggest that you might be better off suggesting that your reporting is redesigned around something more industry standard, like PowerBI. Provided your data sources are in reasonable nick, it shouldn't be a massive job to redesign whatever reporting you have - get the metrics and forecasting right and it'll be relatively straightforward I would have thought.