Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squad for 2021/2022

Interesting to look at who we have contracted for next season, you can just about squeeze an 11 out of the players, though it's not ideal. 

I do wonder how we plan on funding transfers with very few saleable assets. 

Out of contract players have their 'Contract to' in RED

Squad from players known to have contracts for 2021/22 - Nope not even a full 18!

Comments

• Apologies, just noticed much of this squad chatter is on the 'Rumours' thread. 
  • We have another year of Watson? 
  • se9addick said:
    We have another year of Watson? 
    And Gunter..
  • Another year of Watson? He played in the 2-2 game where Fortune sent the surrey lot down. That was 16 years ago ffs!! Not only that but that was Watsons third season as a professional. No thanks
  • Another year of Watson? He played in the 2-2 game where Fortune sent the surrey lot down. That was 16 years ago ffs!! Not only that but that was Watsons third season as a professional. No thanks
    Only hope is that similarly JFC triggered his extention last summer (I wonder if the  club would have chose to give him another) after not many appearances following his 18/19 knee injury - I doubt many saw his excellent past season coming.
  • Ferryman said:
    Another year of Watson? He played in the 2-2 game where Fortune sent the surrey lot down. That was 16 years ago ffs!! Not only that but that was Watsons third season as a professional. No thanks
    Only hope is that similarly JFC triggered his extention last summer (I wonder if the  club would have chose to give him another) after not many appearances following his 18/19 knee injury - I doubt many saw his excellent past season coming.
    Hoping that a different player, in different circumstances, will have a similar outcome is top level straw clutching! 
  • se9addick said:
    Ferryman said:
    Another year of Watson? He played in the 2-2 game where Fortune sent the surrey lot down. That was 16 years ago ffs!! Not only that but that was Watsons third season as a professional. No thanks
    Hoping that a different player, in different circumstances, will have a similar outcome is top level straw clutching! 
    Watson will be 36 by the time the next season starts
  • se9addick said:
    Ferryman said:
    So will I ☹️
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    My view:

GK: Amos, AMB
    RB: Matthews, Gunter
    LB: Purrington, new
    RCB: Innis, new
    LCB: Famewo, new
    DM: new, Watson
    CM: Morgan, Gilbey, new, new
    AM: Jaiyesimi, new, new, new 
    STK: Stockley, Aneke, Washington, new 

Note: Oshilaja, Pearce gotta go for me.  Pratley already gone which I think is correct, the only loanees I’d attempt to get back is Famewo and Stockley.  The CDM and CM positions we need are critical for me, our midfield simply wasn’t good enough, not sure what happens with JFC.  I make it 10 signings, likely 5 or 6 perm and the rest loans.

• Shinnie has gone
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Ferryman said:
    So will I ☹️
    I’ll be 63 🤨
  • Depressing for me to see Gilbey here until the end of the 2022/23 season.  Also not great that Gunter has another year 
  • I think Gilbey will come good. With a full pre season and his fitness/touch comes back he will offer us alot imo. Interesting for me to see if we resign Matthew's as Gunter has the contract in place
  • cabbles said:
    Depressing for me to see Gilbey here until the end of the 2022/23 season.  Also not great that Gunter has another year 
    As far as second choice right backs go I doubt you’ll find a better one than Chris Gunter in league one.  First choice, I’d agree with you however.
  • When do most players contracts end ? Is it June or May ? Are we likely to see any signings until then ?
  • Has Maddison decided if he’s ever going to play again ? 
  • When do most players contracts end ? Is it June or May ? Are we likely to see any signings until then ?
    30th June but that’s irrelevant really, you can announce a free agent has signed and they’ll officially join on 1st July.

Same as the transfer window opening about a week into June (I think), doesn’t mean we can’t announce a signing ahead of that date.
  • Sponsored links:

• All about opinions but Gilbey is the all action midfielder which transformed our energy levels in the latter part of the season when he was fit. He will chip in with a few goals but I don't think he will turn into League 1 version of Frank Lampard. A fit midfield playmaker would be a welcome acquisition to our side to go alongside the likes of Gilbey, Morgan, DJ and the new midfield/winger who will replace Millar.
    JFC position is unclear plus he would only be available from 2022.

So pleased to hear Nadkins recognise our group is too senior, which in the modern League 1 was highlighted with the amount of goals we gave away in transition at the valley under Lee Bowyer.

• First transfer window under Nigel A, could / should be an interesting summer, I always fall for the hype of players we sign I’ve heard of, and being dismissive of the ones I haven’t heard of.

Will we recruit from Europe, or is that more attainable if we got into the championship?
  • Shall we use this thread for rumours?