Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who would you keep from the Loanees

Stockley and Famewo if given a voice for me

Comments

• Stockley is the only one I’d keep 
  • Stockley and Millar with Famewo a possible. I'd like to sign them rather than loan them, but appreciate that won't be possible with Millar. 
  • Stockley and Famewo if given a voice for me

Stockley is a must. Would be happy with the other 3 as well in order Famewo, Millar, Maatsen
  • I'd keep Famewo, he had a formidable partnership with Inniss

Comes back to IFs again but if those two were fit throughout the season then I honestly believe that we'd be a lot further up the table - People blame Bowyer for what happened in a large part of the season, and constantly mocked with Oh everything will be fine when Inniss and Famewo are back"

BUT... Of the games those two played as our Centre-Back pairing, just one goal got scored past them which was Lincoln's on Tuesday night

Unfortunately the bigger question is are they a reliable pairing?
  • Do you mean reliable fitness wise?
  • Stockley definitely.
    Famewo also but i'd guess Norwich will want him to step up to a championship loan.
    Millar wouldn't be the worst signing but there's possibly better options out there.
    Maatsen i could take or leave but this was his first year in pro football and he should do better next season.
  • I suppose Famewo, Millar and Maatsen can be expected to improve.
  • Honestly, probably none. Stockley the arguable exception, but I'd prefer a clean slate and a fresh start where Adkins can pick from a squad of his own devising to fit a formation he wants to use instead of having to choose a formation based on available players.

The squad as a whole is aging and unbalanced and (again leaving aside Stockley) none of them have been that impressive.

Famewo might be another exception but it depends on whether we can be certain of a better fitness record as we know that's historically something Inniss has battled with and another season where you get maybe six games with your first choice partnership both fit is not even worth considering.
  • I reckon we will get Stockley. I'm happy with that - I think he's a good fit for us and will be better with preseason and better balls in. I think the other 3 are likely to be loaned to the champ next season. I think all have room for improvement but all could do a job and we will need some continuity with so many out the door (again). I'd like to see us make more use of our youth players though, too. Maybe even stay in some cup competitions beyond the 2nd round.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    Do you mean reliable fitness wise?
    Absolutely, they've shown they can be reliable on the pitch

Yeah they make mistakes but thats why they've been in League One in the first place
  • I'm not good copying tweets but there are a couple from Liam Millar on louise Mendoz's twitter that seem to imply you can take him out of this thread!

My time at has come to an end. Unfortunately couldn’t get playoffs but always a positive beating the champions of the division in the last game

I would like to thank everyone at charlton for looking after me and welcoming me in, something I’ll never forget!
  • Millar and Stockley
  • edited May 2021
    I'm not good copying tweets but there are a couple from Liam Millar on louise Mendoz's twitter that seem to imply you can take him out of this thread!

My time at has come to an end. Unfortunately couldn’t get playoffs but always a positive beating the champions of the division in the last game

I would like to thank everyone at charlton for looking after me and welcoming me in, something I’ll never forget!
    I don't think that means too much. He'll go back to Liverpool and decisions will be made. He is unlikely to make the first team squad so the decision for him will probably be another loan. Maybe a Championship club will go for him but if not, we would probably be favourites. What Liverpool will be interested in is where he will best develop.
  • Famewo would be good to replace Pearce. 
  • mendonca said:
    Famewo would be good to replace Pearce. 

Pearce is ideal as a 4th choice centre back next season. He unfortunately had to be overused this year but I'd like to keep him for his experience as a Charlton player as he'll play a big part in the dressing room and the training ground in terms of helping instill the type of culture and mentality Adkins wants to build.
  • Famewo, Millar and Maatsen.
  • Stockley deffo.
    Famewo - can’t see him getting into Norwich first team next season. Would be good to get another (hopefully injury free) season.
    Maatsen - again I can’t see him breaking into Chelsea first team, hopefully he’ll come back next season.
    Miller - not sure. He’s been good & infuriating.
    Smith - no.
  • edited May 2021
    • I'd be aiming to keep Stockley permanently - I absolutely think we could build a team around him, provided he would want to stay. Probably going to be several low end Championship sides that would want to go for him, but I think he'd be one I'd really want to keep.
    • Famewo has been OK, but I'd like another CB who is a bit more comfortable on the ball. If he stays fit and can play a full season, he offers a lot but I don't think he can play week in, week out.
    • Millar has been really hot and cold, but I think I'd prefer a pure left-footed winger with pace that aims to get more crosses in. Maybe another loan for a year if we had the option, but depends if he fancies it or we can't get someone in. I'd be fine having someone else.
    • Maatsen is still super young, but I'd definitely have another year with him. He had Wilks in his pocket today (yeah yeah, thinking more about the beach, but still) and, whilst he has had a few bad games, I think he is only going to get better. He works hard, has a ton of pace and performs well in this league.
    • Smith never got a shot, but I can't see Arsenal letting him come back to us. I don't think he adds more than any other squad players we have. We can do better, tbh.
  • Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:

Pearce is ideal as a 4th choice centre back next season. He unfortunately had to be overused this year but I'd like to keep him for his experience as a Charlton player as he'll play a big part in the dressing room and the training ground in terms of helping instill the type of culture and mentality Adkins wants to build.
    Depending on budgets I would offer Pearce a player/coach contract and keep him as 5th choice backup, but mainly a coaching/figurehead role. The problem this season is that he was the backup for LCB position, but had to play the majority of the season. That could easily happen again, except Pearce would be a year older. I'd like to see Inniss + Famewo + 2 new, young mobile CBs, one right, one left. Tucker at Gills has been getting good reviews.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's a good point about a left footer in midfield, especially as we will be without  JFC for some time.
  • thenewbie said:
    Honestly, probably none. Stockley the arguable exception, but I'd prefer a clean slate and a fresh start where Adkins can pick from a squad of his own devising to fit a formation he wants to use instead of having to choose a formation based on available players.

The squad as a whole is aging and unbalanced and (again leaving aside Stockley) none of them have been that impressive.

Famewo might be another exception but it depends on whether we can be certain of a better fitness record as we know that's historically something Inniss has battled with and another season where you get maybe six games with your first choice partnership both fit is not even worth considering.
    Innis, Jaiyesimi, Matthews, 
    Morgan, Washington, Gilbey.  We are just naming random player, right?  Right?

To answer the actual question, of which those six are "impossible" all of them. Bar Smith. I honestly think we could get Stockley and Famewo on perms.  I would take the other two back on loan. 

Maatsen has been much better than JDS was in his first season, he could really kick on next season.  Millar is, of course, frustrating but I actually think his decision making has improved.  After playing 4 different positions in his first 4 games for us he has really settled in and seems to buy in to it.  Plus Curbs loves him, that's enough for me. 
  • edited May 2021
    Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:

I'd like to see that. I think he can come in and do a job as long as it isn't for a sustained period. He could be given a coaching role with the youngsters too and may be able to help Barker who ought to be knocking on the door. There are not many better Pros than him.
  • Stockley, Maatsen, Millar and Famewo. They are all, to varying degrees, proven at this level but the one thing they offer us is continuity. We will probably have a number of new signings anyway and surely it is better, from a continuity perspective, to have a bedrock of players who do know each others' game.

The most important two are Stockley and Famewo. As the old adage goes you need a strong spine and with those two plus Inniss we will have the beginnings of that.

• I want as few loans as possible next season but realise that for lower division clubs,  borrowing players (for a fee) is pretty inevitable.
    I would keep Stockley and Famewo provided they signed as OUR players , i.e. not loaned. Millar, although inconsistent can be a game breaker. However, I can't see Man U letting him go and IF they did, he'd be in line for a Champ club. Maatsen ? .. same as Millar
  • edited May 2021
    Can’t believe people want Maatsen back.

Would sign Stockley, re-loan Famewo and consider Millar if the terms are right (basically we pay none/very little of his salary to avoid taking up too much of our budget). 
  • edited May 2021
  • The important thing is we trust Adkins. He will know who he wants and I'm sure we will back his judgement, 
  • edited May 2021
    Stockley
    Famewo

If Chelsea are willing I'd have Maatsen back too, really stepped back up under Adkins, especially his last two LB performances.

As for the other players: