Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options

Nigel Adkins has revealed he spoke to Ben Amos and Chuks Aneke on Tuesday – with Charlton Athletic still waiting to see if the pair commit to new contracts.

The duo are both free agents on July 1.

Amos is understood to have attracted interest from a number of League One clubs. We revealed earlier this week that he was on Ipswich’s shortlist as they will bring in a new keeper this summer.

Aneke finished top-scorer for Charlton last season, proving a highly effective impact substitute.

Addicks manager Adkins has already confirmed that he wants Amos, Aneke and Adam Matthews to extend their stays in SE7. He had initially made that clear a couple of days after the 2020-21 campaign ended.

Adkins told the South London Press: “We talk about Ben Amos, Chuks Aneke and Adam Matthews, there have been contract negotiations going backwards and forwards. I know there has been a lot of interest in the three of them, because they are good players.

“I know there has been a lot of movement in negotiations. I’m delighted we got [Jayden] Stockley across the line.

“Every club has got a budget and a ceiling they can go to financially. You can’t have everybody on the high wages that maybe some of the clubs are offering. There has to be a balance. That is where Ged Roddy [technical director] and Steve Gallen [director of football], working with the owner, have put that budget in place.

“We’ll have to wait and see. For example, I spoke to Ben and Chuks yesterday. They know I want them at the football club. The players have to make a decision and the agents make a decision for the finances as well. It is the way it is, let’s not hide about it.

“There are many factors now in a player deciding where they want to be. Agents have a big say in it but ultimately the player has got to be happy where they are playing.

“There has been a lot of negotiations going on behind the scenes with many, many parties. Across the board you’ll find that with many football clubs as well.”

Charlton begin to gear back up for the 2021-22 season tomorrow. There will be two days of testing before training resumes on Monday.

Adkins said: “I’d think there will be a knock-on effect because of the European Championships and the Copa America games, a lot of Premier League clubs have got young players making up the numbers in pre-season.

“When the senior players come back from all the tournaments, then the loan players will start to drip out towards the end of the transfer window. Therefore players leaving Premier League clubs, Championship clubs, League One clubs and League Two clubs – you get the domino effect that kicks in.”

Charlton have re-signed Ben Watson and Jason Pearce on new one-year contracts.

“They know that, in my mind, they are not going to be the starters,” said Adkins. “But they are determined to have that ‘I’ll show you’ [mentality] which is brilliant.

“They have got massive roles to play. We have got a lot of academy players and it is important they have got good role models – people who have been there, seen it and done it. They are going to contribute. They are excellent characters.”

So basically,

They are negotiating.

With lots of people.

Not just the players who were here last season.

But it's not going to all be done this week

And Cawley says that is because we're chasing good players wanted elsewhere.

meanwhile Pearce and Watson have been told that Nigel doesn't see them as starters
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Aneke and Amos still deciding whether to sign new deals.
    Time to shit or get off the pot. 

Fitness testing tomorrow & Friday with players coming in next Monday to start pre-season. We really want to know where we stand with these players. Might be one thing trying to entice a player away from his current club but its another when the player has been here a few years & it's really just weighing up deal A with us or deal B with someone else. 
  • Options
    Apparently we made an offer for George Dobson
    The player who was on loan to Wimbledon last season from Sunderland?

No thanks.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Fitness testing tomorrow & Friday with players coming in next Monday to start pre-season. We really want to know where we stand with these players. Might be one thing trying to entice a player away from his current club but its another when the player has been here a few years & it's really just weighing up deal A with us or deal B with someone else. 
    Good job it's not us that it's up to then isn't it? 
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks.
    But being linked to players from Cheltenham, Exeter and morecombe is okay?
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks.
    I've heard he's actually pretty good, and young. 
  • Options
    Lots of talk and reporting from Rich for which we are grateful, unfortunately, most seem to be for people we are not going to sign, or indeed we maybe ever had a serious chance of signing, nice to dream of this or that player, but what we need to know is if we have any serious or realistic rumours or potential signings, because the clock is ticking, and yes I know Henry,...WIOTOS, but by then it ain't a rumour :)

If we'd have had 5 signings from non league football already, people would be complaining. Missing out to teams in the league above us and people are still complaining

• Options
    Seems like hes a tough tackling midfielder as he can play defence aswell. Need someone with a bit of bite in the team.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Elvis Costello turned down Chelsea.
    More interested in joining Oliver's Army 
    ‘Thank you, thank you very much🕺🏻’……….Oops! Wrong Elvis 😁

Have you left the building yet?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I mentioned Dobson the other day, should be a player we are looking at. Holding midfielder that can play, plus still only 22/23. London boy we will hopefully be attractive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    shine166 said:
    Lots of talk and reporting from Rich for which we are grateful, unfortunately, most seem to be for people we are not going to sign, or indeed we maybe ever had a serious chance of signing, nice to dream of this or that player, but what we need to know is if we have any serious or realistic rumours or potential signings, because the clock is ticking, and yes I know Henry,...WIOTOS, but by then it ain't a rumour :)

If we'd have had 5 signings from non league football already, people would be complaining. Missing out to teams in the league above us and people are still complaining

Not complaining, just pointing out facts, this thread is supposed to be about rumours, not the rights and wrongs of signings, that can come later, plenty of time for that discussion.
  • Options
    Not so worried about Amos but I think we would miss Chuks goals....if he hasn't signed by now I think he is going elsewhere.....which is a shame. This would show me Thomas isn't throwing a lot of money at his Charlton project
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Not so worried about Amos but I think we would miss Chuks goals....if he hasn't signed by now I think he is going elsewhere.....which is a shame. This would show me Thomas isn't throwing a lot of money at his Charlton project

We have a budget, we probably don't want to pay top tier wages for a player who can't play more than half of each game.

If Chuks expects to be paid Stockley wages, let him go find them elsewhere. Thomas has been clear we have a budget to work to and the team obviously think those funds are better distributed :)
  • Options
    No mention of JFC by Adkins? Maybe he's not signing 
  • Options
    Doesn’t sound like it. Good luck to him if true. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Neither has Chuks signed for another club so that could equally mean he's not going elsewhere.

Until he signs somewhere else there is a chance he'll sign for us.

Will he sign for us?  No idea but yesterday morning Pearce wasn't signing for us because he posted a quote on Instagram. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I always get Watson and Aneke confused, they look so similar.

Shut the thread @AFKABartram
    If they ever had a kid….

Benchuks Wantekson. Sign him up
    I think Chukbeneka Watsaneke sounds more believable.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    There is no rush on JFC is there, he basically has until the 1st of August to sign a contract somewhere, then he risks not getting paid.  He can't sign for anyone else because he won't pass a medical, he probably can't even take one let alone pass one.

I heard the differences were wages with Aneke and length with Amos and the first one was agreed yesterday.

Matthews?  I just don't think he likes playing in August.......
    So i'm reading that you're saying Aneke DONE DEAL?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

I thought the ‘testing’ to be COVID tests before they start pre-season on Monday. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Its difficult with Chucks. Good player yes and causes all sorts of headaches for defenders. However, Up until now he cant last 90 minutes consistently and if he does manage that, he aint playing the next game. Ideally you want a squad who can play 90 minutes barring injuries & suspensions etc. 

If his money is less as a result of injury issues and is given is performance based bonus to bump up his wages then he might think sod that, ill go sit on the bench at another team who pay me what I want + the bonus. 

Its good business to get the possible deal for the club at the end of the day and if the club think they arent getting value for money from a player who cant last a season without guaranteed issues then you gotta cut them out. 

Aslong as the club have a replacement or 2 in mind then it shouldnt be an issue long term. 

I do want him to sign btw! 
  • Options
    Be very happy with this if true.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I always get Watson and Aneke confused, they look so similar.

Shut the thread @AFKABartram
    If they ever had a kid….

Benchuks Wantekson. Sign him up
    I think Chukbeneka Watsaneke sounds more believable.
    Didn't he open the batting for Sri Lanka?
    Out golden duck
  • Options
    What about the player that Wimbledon  loaned from Brighton or Southampton.  A winger who ran rings round us at Wimbledon and scored 1 or 2. Wouldn't mind him joining. 
    Ryan Longman? That's a very good suggestion. Would think Brighton will look to loan him out again. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    What about the player that Wimbledon  loaned from Brighton or Southampton.  A winger who ran rings round us at Wimbledon and scored 1 or 2. Wouldn't mind him joining. 
    Ryan Longman? That's a very good suggestion. Would think Brighton will look to loan him out again. 
    Played just about every game last season for them, showing promising durability, and 8 league goals which is a decent return. Brighton might be looking for a Championship side though for his next move
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Played just about every game last season for them, showing promising durability, and 8 league goals which is a decent return. Brighton might be looking for a Championship side though for his next move
    Maybe not, it depends if they think he is worth a new contract or not.  They might want to cash in on him if they don't think he is premier league material.  His contract runs out next summer.

Intresting choice of agent as well. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DiscoCAFC said:

No thanks.
    But being linked to players from Cheltenham, Exeter and morecombe is okay?
    You know the rules - write a player off before he has even put pen to paper…. Particularly one you have only seen play a couple of times and probably didn’t even pay much attention to. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ct_addick said:
    Its difficult with Chucks. Good player yes and causes all sorts of headaches for defenders. However, Up until now he cant last 90 minutes consistently and if he does manage that, he aint playing the next game. Ideally you want a squad who can play 90 minutes barring injuries & suspensions etc. 

If his money is less as a result of injury issues and is given is performance based bonus to bump up his wages then he might think sod that, ill go sit on the bench at another team who pay me what I want + the bonus. 

Its good business to get the possible deal for the club at the end of the day and if the club think they arent getting value for money from a player who cant last a season without guaranteed issues then you gotta cut them out. 

Aslong as the club have a replacement or 2 in mind then it shouldnt be an issue long term. 

I do want him to sign btw! 
    Might be a good idea he talks to Lyle Taylor around the "take the bunce & sit on the bench" marlarky. Depends on what you're happy doing & being remembered for I suppose - a great bloke & team player or a self centred money grabbing *****

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!