Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom’s Diner - We are Charlton From The Valley

We are Charlton
From the Valley,
We are Charlton from the Valley
We are Charlton
From the Valley,
De de der de, de de der de,
De de der de de de der de

What a tune, who remember singing that?

Happy days from Selhurst and Upton Park. One of my first memories of ‘modern songs’ mixing into football chants.

Wanna feel old? 34 years ago Suzanne Vega released that :-( 

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Yep remember singing that at Upton Park along with 'It must be love, love, love... CHARLTON!' (Madness)
  • edited May 2021
    I remember singing that at shithurst and at school too...great times, don’t look at the numbers anymore though...
  • About the same time as the kinky boots (leaburn boots)

Think I first remember Tom's diner in a midweek friendly at Brentford preseason
  • Remember hearing that for the first time at a Brentford away pre-season friendly 🤦‍♂️
  • Remember hearing this at the Brentford friendly too.

More bizarre, away at Brighton, about this time, was a group singing the theme from Roobarb, which I guess was inspired by Shaft's dance version 'Roobarb and Custard'.  There was a whole bunch of similar dance reworkings of kids' TV programmes like the theme from Trumpton and the Magic Roundabout.

I can only imagine someone had taken about five Roobarb and Custards the evening before and didn't want the Friday night to end and continued to sing this throughout the Saturday afternoon until enough people started joining in.

• Things can only get better at Old Trafford is another one. 
  • edited May 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Things can only get better at Old Trafford is another one. 
    My first instinct is that game when I hear that song.

To be fair when I Hear Tom's diner I always sing We are Charlton from the valley in my head. 
  • milo said:
    Remember hearing this at the Brentford friendly too.

More bizarre, away at Brighton, about this time, was a group singing the theme from Roobarb, which I guess was inspired by Shaft's dance version 'Roobarb and Custard'.  There was a whole bunch of similar dance reworkings of kids' TV programmes like the theme from Trumpton and the Magic Roundabout.

I can only imagine someone had taken about five Roobarb and Custards the evening before and didn't want the Friday night to end and continued to sing this throughout the Saturday afternoon until enough people started joining in.

Pretty sure my first recollection of toms diner was at Brighton or possibly Plymouth. I’m sure my frazzled brain recalls it being somewhere by the sea!
  • Sponsored links:

• milo said:

Pretty sure my first recollection of toms diner was at Brighton or possibly Plymouth. I’m sure my frazzled brain recalls it being somewhere by the sea!
    You might have been really pissed at Brentford walking along the Thames :-) 
  • I wonder what Suzanne Vega would think of the Charlton reworking of her song? From memory by a bizarre twist Suzanne Vega was playing in Birmingham on the night of the Leeds playoff final. Me and a couple of mates dodged the unhappy Leeds hordes by getting on a local train back into central Birmingham,which had a strange mix of football hooligans and soppy couples coming from the gig. Naturally we were able to pass for soppy Suzanne Vega fans and get back to New Street unmolested.
  • We are Charlton
    From the Valley,
    We are Charlton
    From the Valley,

Happy days from Selhurst and Upton Park. One of my first memories of ‘modern songs’ mixing into football chants.

milo said:

Showing your age mate.
    You must be knocking on for 50
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    And we kept fecking playing it at The Valley after.
    I truly hate that poxy song!
  • milo said:

You might have been really pissed at Brentford walking along the Thames :-) 
    I knew there was water involved 😘
  • One of my favs. Sure we sung it at Twerton Park?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Great memory ! But I think it was played over the tannoy and sung along to rather than a chant
  • edited May 2021
    ‘Yip-e-i-a .... Yip-e-a-o’ didn’t that come from a Johnny Cash song played over a tannoy - forest away maybe ? Someone on here will correct me I’m sure ! 
  • ‘Yip-e-i-a .... Yip-e-a-o’ didn’t that come from a Johnny Cash song played over a tannoy - forest away maybe ? Someone on here will correct me I’m sure ! 
    Ghost Riders in the Sky? 
  • edited May 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Great memory ! But I think it was played over the tannoy and sung along to rather than a chant
    You’re right about that but it was still probably the most impressive noise I have heard from a Charlton away following in over fifty years of watching Charlton. Half -time, 0-0, United down to ten men, victory guaranteed.....Oh bugger!

• Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    We are Charlton
    From the Valley,
    We are Charlton
    From the Valley,

milo said:

Showing your age mate.
    You must be knocking on for 50

Nail on the head, I’ll be fifty-one next month. 

I should have pretended my grandad had told me about it and said I was a teenager, although, I guess, if I was a teenager, I’d be on Instagram or something and wouldn’t be posting here.

• edited May 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:

Hearing 10k singing that at HT at Old Trafford after we went in level and the big Dane sent off, sends shivers down my spine thinking about it now let alone on the day.

The fact that things didn't get better only worse against the 10 men of United as they went on to win 3-1 from memory didn't detract from a fantastic Song and a great day out with 12 members of my family.
  • I dread to think how quickly the tom's diner song would be sung by the crowd nowadays