Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Taking Oxford out of the equation for a moment. What happens if we draw, Pompey lose and we both finish up with the same GD?
    Goals scored I would guess, not sure what the tie breaker is after that
    It’s goals scored so unless we drew 0-0 and Pompey lost 6-5 we would be in play offs.
    On this

if we won 5-0 (bear with me!!!) and Oxford win 1-0, we would finish level on gf, ga and points. Thanks ronnie!

would that mean a play off for the play off?
  • Options
    I am sure another statto would have pointed this out already, but having a quick gander at the archives, should we win on Saturday and Oxford or Pompey also win, we will be the first team since 2009-10 to attain 74 points and not make the play-offs. Curiously the four seasons prior to that, 74 points was not enough to make the play-offs...   
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The reason I bang on about playing two strikers in this Division(every home match) and most away is despite the freak result against Plymouth, we will create more chances because Liam Millar suddenly has the extra target to hit. Gilbey can see two big targets to find and suddenly we treat a game at the valley like a home match where we are looking to be pro active not passive.

Morgan was the Catalyst for the victory as well as Aneke because JFC ran out of steam 3 matches ago, and Albie gave the team energy and his contribution was immense with a saving header at the back, direct running and good pass to Chuks and the pin point corner for big Ryan's goal.

When Jake's game was over, the camera showed Pratley running up the touchline and I then did my impersonation of Ted Hastings but with more swear words and was screaming for Morgan to come on and not Pratley who is having a private contest with Watson to see who can collect the most Yellow cards.

Playing Maatsen on the right, just doesn't work, he scored in his first game there but he is so ineffective and I find it embarrassing that Nads thinks that's a good idea ? Not knocking the kids work rate but he can sprint on the left side where he can mainly only turn and play back passes when on the right.

I guess we can hope Hull have been on the piss since they sealed the title, so we can at least go into another League 1 campaign with some knowledge, who to keep and who to thank and move on.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
    Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near enough. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Stockley doesn't work his nuts off 🤦‍♂️

Ok we will have to agree to disagree. All I will say is Stockley must be doing something right to be starting week in week out.

A lot of people on this forum must be incredibly unfit or lazy if they think Stockley is *that* hard a worker. He works hard, but not so much that I'd say he works his nuts off. 

Plus He's our only fit striker that can (although as we have seen, probably shouldn't have to) play up front in a 4-3-3 and is the headmaster.
    I’ve always thought from your posts that you don’t have much of a clue about football. You’ve confirmed it with this nonsense about stockley.
  • Options
    My take on last night was as follows;

we started reasonably then quickly fell back into the pattern of play that seems to follow us around the last few weeks, lack of movement in midfield and too isolated up top. A moment that could have gone against us in losing JFC actually proved to be the catalyst for us to take the game by the scruff of the neck. On comes Albie and completely changes the dynamic with his vision and range of passing. 0-0 HT.

Chuks on at HT and a switch to a 442 and we suddenly look a different team, movement, pressing, off the balls runs that Lincoln couldn’t handle and suddenly we are 3-0 up after moments of magic from Stockley, Aneke and Inniss.

Cue the standard last 10 minutes of nerves but this time we see it out. 3-1 FT.

Seen a few people saying we weren’t good, I agree first half but I think for the first half hour of the second half might be the best half hour of football I’ve seen us play in a long time.

Learnings have to be, where possible always play two up top. Morgan has to start and Maatsen isn’t a winger.

Overall very happy we are in with a shout of playoffs going into the last game and think we have to give massive credit to NA for that, this team looked dead and buried a few months ago. 

I make us 5/1 to get top 6 and that’s a bloody good effort considering.
  • Options
    As Charlton TV are already selling the Hull game live stream, I presume we aren’t a pick for Sky on Sunday. Anyone know if they have picked games for weekend yet? 

I’ll be gutted if the stream gets taken off Charlton TV and I miss the last game. Can’t imagine club will be happy either as that’ll be a lot of refunds to sort out. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Taking Oxford out of the equation for a moment. What happens if we draw, Pompey lose and we both finish up with the same GD?
    Goals scored I would guess, not sure what the tie breaker is after that
    It’s goals scored so unless we drew 0-0 and Pompey lost 6-5 we would be in play offs.
    On this

if we won 5-0 (bear with me!!!) and Oxford win 1-0, we would finish level on gf, ga and points. Thanks ronnie!

would that mean a play off for the play off?
    Would go head to head, we drew 0-0 there, what was the score at our place?
  • Options
    I am sure another statto would have pointed this out already, but having a quick gander at the archives, should we win on Saturday and Oxford or Pompey also win, we will be the first team since 2009-10 to attain 74 points and not make the play-offs. Curiously the four seasons prior to that, 74 points was not enough to make the play-offs...   
    Which was why, over a month ago, I said you need at least 75 points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    As Charlton TV are already selling the Hull game live stream, I presume we aren’t a pick for Sky on Sunday. Anyone know if they have picked games for weekend yet? 

I’ll be gutted if the stream gets taken off Charlton TV and I miss the last game. Can’t imagine club will be happy either as that’ll be a lot of refunds to sort out. 
    As of last night they were advertising that the "live" game was Pompey v Stanley. Don't know if they will now have ours as well or maybe behind the red button. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021

As of last night they were advertising that the "live" game was Pompey v Stanley. Don't know if they will now have ours as well or maybe behind the red button. 
    Seem to remember two years ago it was just Southend v Sunderland on the TV

https://www.live-footballontv.com/live-league-one-football-on-tv.html
  • Options
    When you look at the table, the penalty miss against Oxford could be huge come full time on Sunday. All ifs buts and maybes over a season, I know. But a missed pen in the last minute that if scored would have dropped your rivals from the race is massive. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Such a transformation last night was, WHY didn't they show the same commitment when it really mattered against Crewe, Accrington, etc etc etc, I fear it will be too little too late whilst hoping for a miracle, but we need such a huge slice of luck Sunday, let's see where we end up.
    The change of formation second half with Albie and Chuks was exceptional and certainly gave the defenders a game to think about, suddenly they had two to worry about up top, all three great goals were well taken, mind you, how Chuks stayed on the pitch, very lucky lad, we will need everyone on their game Sunday..... Whether i  will be able to stay till the end of the stream is another thing B)
  • Options
    16 points from 9 games under Adkins during which time we've played 3 of the top 5. That would give us 82 points over the course of the season.

We lost the chance of definite play off and possible automatic promotion during that three month period between 21st November and 27th February when we picked up just 22 points from 21 games, of which 12 were against teams in the bottom half of the table.

Adkins should be judged next season when he has his squad playing the way he wants them to play. Actually getting into the play offs on Sunday would be a massive but somewhat unlikely bonus. 
    Exactly this for me. I know posters like to point out the penalty miss, or the late goal against Crewe, but for me single moments like that do not define a season - especially when I'm sure fans of every other club are pointing out similar moments.

What messed up our season, as you point out, is that run of games. Know we have no divine right to win every game, and there's no chance we would have, but we should have been picking up 5 - 10 points more over that period for sure. 

Nearly all sport is fine margins,golfers play 4 rounds one missed 3ft putt costs them a title,one missed volley costs a wimbledon championship,and so on,as you say all clubs involved will have had their moments of regrets,but I do think 19 shots hitting woodwork,3 missed penalties,countless late errors leading to goals and dropped points,has probably cost us more than most.Hopefully these fine margins will work in our favour next year.
  • Options
    This season will be forever defined as what if, what if we didn’t concede those last minute equalisers against Swindon, Shrewsbury and Crewe. What if we didn’t miss that penalty at Oxford. What if we didn’t give teams 2 goals head starts on numerous occasions. It’s honestly ridiculous when you look at this season and the amount of points dropped because of silly mistakes and lack of concentration. 

We should have been comfortably in the playoffs but here we are, typical Charlton! 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    This season will be forever defined as what if, what if we didn’t concede those last minute equalisers against Swindon, Shrewsbury and Crewe. What if we didn’t miss that penalty at Oxford. What if we didn’t give teams 2 goals head starts on numerous occasions. It’s honestly ridiculous when you look at this season and the amount of points dropped because of silly mistakes and lack of concentration. 

We should have been comfortably in the playoffs but here we are, typical Charlton! 
    Yeah but there is also the case we have been an absolute shit show for probably 2/3s of the season and had no right at all to be top 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    My take on last night was as follows;

we started reasonably then quickly fell back into the pattern of play that seems to follow us around the last few weeks, lack of movement in midfield and too isolated up top. A moment that could have gone against us in losing JFC actually proved to be the catalyst for us to take the game by the scruff of the neck. On comes Albie and completely changes the dynamic with his vision and range of passing. 0-0 HT.

Chuks on at HT and a switch to a 442 and we suddenly look a different team, movement, pressing, off the balls runs that Lincoln couldn’t handle and suddenly we are 3-0 up after moments of magic from Stockley, Aneke and Inniss.

Cue the standard last 10 minutes of nerves but this time we see it out. 3-1 FT.

Seen a few people saying we weren’t good, I agree first half but I think for the first half hour of the second half might be the best half hour of football I’ve seen us play in a long time.

Learnings have to be, where possible always play two up top. Morgan has to start and Maatsen isn’t a winger.

Overall very happy we are in with a shout of playoffs going into the last game and think we have to give massive credit to NA for that, this team looked dead and buried a few months ago. 

I make us 5/1 to get top 6 and that’s a bloody good effort considering.
    Higher, higher!!!!

Our prices:

Oxford v Burton - Burton Win or Draw combined odds 11/10
    Pompey v Stanley - Stanley Win or Draw combined odds 6/4
    Charlton - Win odds 6/5

Treble pays 10.55 to 1

Our single price for top 6 is 10/1

• Options
    BFG94 said:
    Nerves already kicking in. Goodness knows what it will be like come Sunday.
    There is absolutely nothing to be nervous about. We will beat hull 3-0 on Sunday no problem. And we will finish in 8th place.
    With Hales, assisted by Paddy, scoring the ITV goal of the season.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

If we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so often, we'd be running away with the title.
  • Options

As it's a home game, they'd still be able to produce Charlton TV for season ticket holders. 
  • Options
    I suppose we could focus on many different factors or details. But for me the penalty miss against Oxford has turned out to be massive. As has been said, two points more for us and one less for Oxford makes an incredible difference and we would be going into Sunday as favourites rather than 10-1 outsiders.

Having said that, we don't deal with pressure well and maybe if we were there to be shot at we would be shot. Maybe a little less pressure on Sunday is our best bet for a win and then who knows. I can see Pompey cocking it up but I think Oxford will beat Burton.
  • Options
    I’m glad that the penny has finally dropped and we played two upfront together, I was disappointed that Shinnie wasn’t playing alongside Jfc-c to take some of the pressure off him as most of the time our players look to find jf-c the opposing team know this and stick close to him in the belief stop jf-c you stop charlton with Shinnie alongside him l feel we would create a lot more chances.I must give young Albie abig shout out ,I thought he was brilliant last night.I also thought Watson played well.But Sunday is gung ho time, so my team for Sunday.

Amos

matthews        Innis.       Famewo.       Mattsen

Morgan.        Gilbey.  Shinnie/ Jf-c    Millar

Stockley.      Aneke                       

• Options
    Adkins must have learned that Maatson is a waste of space as a wide attacking player - much better to use him as a left back.