Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley Party-3rd May 1990

It's 31 years ago today when the Valley Party stood in the local elections in Greenwich, how many of the candidates are still around today?

Comments

• _MrDick said:
    I stood in Avery Hill ward. Several others on here who will be familiar to everyone, stood in the borough.

What an outstanding team effort it was. Even in my ward, which wasn't a huge target since it was liberal held, I had fantastic help from fellow supporters.

Plus the management and the PR behind the campaign was simply first class.

Thank you to everyone who did their bit. You played your part in shaping the history of our great club.

I was helping David Fox deliver leaflets in one of the Avery Hill wards. A boiling hot day, if I remember rightly. The Labour Party candidate was driving round the streets with a megaphone strapped to the roof rack of his car telling people not to vote for the Valley Party. Think we made a bit of an impact that day. It was a shame there wasn’t smart phones in those days. Plenty of opportunities to have a picture taken holding a baby 🤣🤣 ... Good memories. 
    So many heroes that day and you were definitely one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• my dad delivered leaflets but the most i can claim is being outside the town hall on that night  
  • Having helped out over the weeks before the vote I was able to obtain ticket to get into Town Hall. 
    Spent some time with Kevin and David Fox that evening in a pub in Eltham.
    Knew most of the fans that stood for The Valley Party.
    Makes you feel old now 33 years ago.

• I stood in Nightingale Ward.
  • Photo by Tom Morris 

Shows Kevin Fox after receiving 992 votes for The Valley Party.
  • Photo by Tom Morris 

Shows Kevin Fox after receiving 992 votes for The Valley Party.
    Proud to see myself in that picture
  • Okay I am also in it so begs the question which one are you.
  • I am also in it. This culminated in photo of all of us there holding up YES signs, other than me, who held his Charlton scarf in reverse revealing NO 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤣 between two fellow supporters
  • edited May 2023
    To the left of Kevin as you look. White T Shirt. You ?  What a great night that was.

• Next to Queen Victoria, I am in the dark jacket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Next to Queen Victoria, I am in the dark jacket.
    ..........at least you made the effort - I was a scruffy git in T Shirt and Jeans!
  • @Redmidland was steward that night (arms folded) the miserable b@stard 😂😉
  • DOUCHER said:
    my dad delivered leaflets but the most i can claim is being outside the town hall on that night  
    Yes, me too outside the town hall in the pouring rain.
  • edited May 2023
    Cheer yourselves up. Close your eyes and imagine that we had really got a sniff how well Kevin was doing in Sherard, and had really packed the ward with canvassers on the day - and then the result is read out that Kevin had toppled Quentin Marsh, the Council Leader. Imagine the noise and chaos inside the hall at that moment. And then imagine the media scrum overnight, and the headlines next day. 😃

It's free because it didn't matter, we won anyway, but it never fails to entertain me, re-running it in my head with that result...
    @PragueAddick - Oh thats a wonderful memory - can almost smell it!
  • Cheer yourselves up. Close your eyes and imagine that we had really got a sniff how well Kevin was doing in Sherard, and had really packed the ward with canvassers on the day - and then the result is read out that Kevin had toppled Quentin Marsh, the Council Leader. Imagine the noise and chaos inside the hall at that moment. And then imagine the media scrum overnight, and the headlines next day. 😃

It's free because it didn't matter, we won anyway, but it never fails to entertain me, re-running it in my head with that result...
    The Quentin Marsh that forgot his background when commenting in a Labour election pamphlet? (But wasn't it Simon Oleman that was toppled??)  

• Kevin Fox and Quentin Marsh went head to head in Sherard.

Oleman was indeed toppled by the swing in his ward caused by the Valley Party's presence. It was the perfect result, because we toppled the most influential enemy, without the resulting issue of what on earth a Valley Party councillor was going to do for the next four years 😂

Quentin Marsh was actually my classmate at rugby-playing St Dunstan's, I hadn't seen or thought of him since we all went our separate ways years earlier, and I've no idea how he ended up as a Labour politician. Certainly had zero interest in footie.
  • edited May 2023
    Kevin Fox and Quentin Marsh went head to head in Sherard.

Oleman was indeed toppled by the swing in his ward caused by the Valley Party's presence. It was the perfect result, because we toppled the most influential enemy, without the resulting issue of what on earth a Valley Party councillor was going to do for the next four years 😂

Quentin Marsh was actually my classmate at rugby-playing St Dunstan's, I hadn't seen or thought of him since we all went our separate ways years earlier, and I've no idea how he ended up as a Labour politician. Certainly had zero interest in footie.
    I remember Oelman - odious prick he was
  • Cheer yourselves up. Close your eyes and imagine that we had really got a sniff how well Kevin was doing in Sherard, and had really packed the ward with canvassers on the day - and then the result is read out that Kevin had toppled Quentin Marsh, the Council Leader. Imagine the noise and chaos inside the hall at that moment. And then imagine the media scrum overnight, and the headlines next day. 😃

The Quentin Marsh that forgot his background when commenting in a Labour election pamphlet? (But wasn't it Simon Oleman that was toppled??)  

Quentin and Debbie are friends, but I do constantly rib him about 1990