Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Graham Tutt at Bromley Addicks on 13 May 7.45pm

Bromley Addicks will be joined by our former keeper Graham Tutt on 13 May via zoom.

@grahambustertutt will be talking about his career, his new book and that career ending injury up at Sunderland.

Members should have emails with joining details hitting their inboxes any time now.

If you're not on the mailing list but want to be email Tony.warran@btinternet.com

May 13, 2021 07:45 PM London

Comments

• Don't forget to join us next Thursday. Graham Tutt promises top be a very interesting guest.
  • This week for those of you without diaries
  • If you've got any questions for Graham fire away and we'll try and get them answered.
  • See you all tomorrow night
  • Tonight's the night
  • Tonight's the night
    Neil Young?
  • Rod Stewart, surely?
  • If you've got any questions for Graham fire away and we'll try and get them answered.
    Always remember a picture in the local press of him and another young player who came through at the same time Johnny Harrison. Press interest was because Harrison was only 5ft 3 and the picture stressed the size difference. Does he know what happened to Johnny?
  • Sponsored links:

• A surprisingly good evening with Graham Tutt zooming in from his home in Atlanta, Georgia. We asked him about Johnny Harrison but he had not kept in touch with him. He doubted if he was as tall as 5ft 3ins. I was unsure whether we would fill the time last night but 90 minutes flew by and in the absence of Henry ( taking a post-season sabbatical), I will attempt to give you a report of the proceedings. Part 1 will follow shortly.
  • It was a really good event and thank you for those involved. Great to hear Graham tell many of the stories from his book - comes across as a very decent engaging person, so much so that he can be forgiven for supporting Millwall as a nipper!
  • Loved it, great evening thank you.

• Part 1
    Graham is known as Buster by everyone. It is a nickname given to him by his dad when a young boy. Growing up they went to the Valley and the Den on alternate weeks. His father was a life-long Charlton supporter but initially Graham followed Millwall. He always wanted to be a goalkeeper and when 13, his dad signed him up to play for an adult team called London Irish who had the worst record in London. They lost 18-0 the week before he joined so when he kept it down to only 9-0 they were delighted. He was getting lots of useful practice. He went to Millwall but they outed him as he was too small. (He later shot up to 6ft 4ins). Les Gore took him to Charlton and Theo signed him. He said Theo was like a second father to him. He refused the offer of becoming an apprentice pro as he did not fancy cleaning boots and doing all the menial tasks. He took a job in a bank which lasted just 3 weeks before Charlton called him back with a full pro contract.

Soon after, Theo was sacked and Andy Nelson took over. He was sent to Workington on a month's loan and was shocked how tough and primitive life was at the bottom of Division 4. Nelson was an unsympathetic person with no bedside manner. He got in the first team and had a great time during the promotion year of 1975.The next season started well and they felt promotion back to Division 1 might be possible. An important match up at Sunderland would be an indicator if promotion was attainable...... Part 2 to follow soon.
  •  "Is he going back on" from Nelson after Tutt got kicked in the face. FFS
  • Having read his book, I have to say Nelson sounds like a complete bellend
  • Part 3
    After leaving Charlton, Graham moved out to South Africa where his brother lived and made contact with Roy Matthews who was able to persuade him to start playing again. He had learned how to manage the double vision with some difficulty and went on to spend two years as a semi-pro in goal for Arcadia Shepherds, John Hewie's old club. He enjoyed his time in SA and told various anecdotes, one concerning a witch doctor who turned up at one the matches, but in the end the threats of violence and the racial problems became too much and he returned briefly to the UK.

He then moved out to the USA and played for Atlanta Chiefs. He came up against George Best and a host of other top players from that period (early eighties). When he finally stopped playing completely he set up and ran a Summer School for kids wanting to play Soccer and it was very successful.

Graham was an excellent guest and it was an easy evening to chair as he had plenty of interesting stories. I have a copy of his book,'Never Give Up' and would happily recommend it (available on Amazon). The last chapter describes him finally tracking down Tom Finney last year in an attempt to somehow exorcise the ghosts of his past, but we agreed not to reveal that story and leave people to buy the book. All in all a good evening. Look out for our next one and join us yourself next time.
  • Having read his book, I have to say Nelson sounds like a complete bellend
    I have it on very good authority that he was very much a complete bellend.
  • Really enjoyed the evening with Graham Tutt. It took me back to when I was 12 when I was at Loftus Road to see the League Cup v QPR. Happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    Having read his book, I have to say Nelson sounds like a complete bellend
    I have it on very good authority that he was very much a complete bellend.
    It's funny how Nelsons teams played some of the most exciting football I've ever seen at The Valley, yet he seemed to be a dour, abrasive sort of bloke. Whenever they talk to players from that time, there's not much affection for him, to say the least.

• Very enjoyable evening.
    Graham' story is fascinating and he told it very well.
    Time flew by!
    Is there a recording that could be posted, as I would like to listen again?
    Will definitely buy his book.
    My thanks to Graham and Bromley Addicks for a great evening. 
    Looking forward to attending future events in Petts Wood
  • Cheers for the write up @killerjerrylee

sounds a good evening 
  • edited May 2021
    Graham Tutt at 21 years old was ahead of Nick Pope at the same age. Mervyn Day and Graham were spoken about as the young keepers who could make it to the England shirt in the future.
    Neither made it for different reasons:

Day because of injury and loss of form, with Phil Parkes getting the Jersey at West Ham;
    Graham because of reckless play from an opponent.

Mervyn Day, played 640 career matches in the League, and his career improved after going to Leeds from Orient.

Graham played 65 matches for Cafc, and 4 on loan at Workington (4th tier club) before Tom Finney (not the Legend) ended his career in England and left Tutt with his double vision problems.

It was good to hear his story, and his sense of humour. South Africa and USA gave him game time but he could never reach the heights he appeared to be destined for.

Bromley Addicks giving a platform for Graham to plug his book and tell us about his Journey post Cafc as well as stories from his days at the Valley, made for good listening and memories from his and my youth.

• I liked the detail that when they took him to hospital in Sunderland, they had to put him in the maternity ward to begin with because of a bed shortage.
  • edited May 2021
    I didn't sign up for this Bromley Addicks Zoom meeting as I hadn't yet read Graham's book and didn't want to spoil it for myself.

I have now blitzed through it in 2 days and thoroughly enjoyed reading his story. It is great that he has been able to enjoy such a rich and varied life after his English professional career was so cruelly cut short. I missed many of the games he played for Charlton as that period coincided with my time at university away from London. However, in reading the book I realised I did see him playing the week before the game at Sunderland when we lost 3-0 away to Wolves in the 5th round of the FA Cup when John Richards scored a hat-trick.

I also hadn't realised until reading the book that Roy Matthews is a Scot.
  • What an interesting time I had listening to Graham Tutt.

I'm really pleased he has managed to play some semi-pro football after the incident.
    And what an interesting life he has led. Thanks for the evening Graham.