Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dylan or Bowie? (was the Steve Bradley (?!) thread)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dylan, all day long.
  • Options
    Dylan....genuinely original 

Bowie..trying to original for the sake of it 

• Options
    Although the first record I brought was a Bowie one it is Dylan for me .

What was that first record ?  The Laughing Gnome ......Ha Ha Ha , He He He 
  • Options
    Bowie then
    Dylan now.
  • Options
    A few years ago, I would have said Dylan all day. Brought up on him by my old man, I too thought Dylan a genius.

However I now believe Dylan to be a charlatan. He even faked the content of his “autobiography “ along with his Nobel speech and his artworks. And that’s before we even start on his song lyrics lifted from others, and always without accrediting his sources.

So Bowie for me.
  • Options
    A few years ago, I would have said Dylan all day. Brought up on him by my old man, I too thought Dylan a genius.

However I now believe Dylan to be a charlatan. He even faked the content of his “autobiography “ along with his Nobel speech and his artworks. And that’s before we even start on his song lyrics lifted from others, and always without accrediting his sources.

So Bowie for me.
    Well, this I did not know!

Look forward to reading the responses. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

So Bowie for me.

Here you go:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-accused-of-plagiarizing-nobel-lecture-from-sparknotes-198150/

• Options
    Dylan for me.
    Then Bowie. 
    As for Steve Bradley I've had to put up with his singing at Charlton games for almost 50 years  And it ain't good.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

So Bowie for me.

Here you go:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-accused-of-plagiarizing-nobel-lecture-from-sparknotes-198150/

I had a quick skim of that, interesting. If anything that puts the two artists closer together - Bowie was a creation and everything he did was pe4rformance and artifice: Dylan's genius has been to do the same thing but pass it off as authenticity. 

BTW Bowie for me. Like them both, but Bowie is the wider ranging magpie.
  • Options
    Bowies albums and stage persona was overblown tosh, (Same as Kate Bush), 

But Dylan was truly "new" in the 60s and his songs reflected the times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A ludicrous comparison. Without Dylan no Bowie. Dylan is a genius. As for the post above about charlatanism because Dylan adopts and transforms sources, Shakespeare should be dismissed as a charlatan because of the multiple sources he used to construct his plays. All great artists quote/steal/absorb/incorporate from previous work. Dylan himself wrote about this in 1963: 

Yes, I am a thief of thoughts
    not, I pray, a stealer of souls
    I have built an’ rebuilt
    upon what is waitin’
    for the sand on the beaches
    carves many castles
    on what has been opened
    before my time
    a word, a tune, a story, a line
    keys in the wind t’ unlock my mind
    Influences?
    hundreds thousands
    perhaps millions
    for all songs lead back t’ the sea
    an’ at one time, there was
    no singin’ tongue t’ imitate it
    t’ make new sounds out of old sounds
    an’ new words out of old words
  • Options
    Bowie for me.  I love a wide range of music, but have never really found myself enjoying Dylan's work. 

Then again I don't see them as being similar in any real way and wouldn't put them in a head to head if you are looking at comparing artists.

Music is all about personal taste and a result of your upbringing and your thirst, or lack of it, for more.  I bought hundreds of albums over the years on the back of good reviews from people whose opinion I valued.  Mostly good, but a few turkeys in there too.  I'm listening to Weller's picks at the moment for this month's Mojo and hearing some great tracks I'd likely never have found.  

Would be boring if we all liked the same stuff :)
  • Options
    Neither.

Both are awful.

I would imagine this Steve fella singing karaoke would be better than either tbh.
  • Options
    Neither.

Both are awful.

I would imagine this Steve fella singing karaoke would be better than either tbh.
    Trust me he wouldn't. 
    I've known him for about 50 years. 
    If he doesn't promise to buy me drinks for the next year or two I'll put his picture on here.
  • Options
    Much like the Don Mclean track American Pie, Like a Rolling Stone is to long.