Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April 7pm| Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited April 2021 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra
Tuesday 27th April 2021
Kick-Off: 19.00pm

Live on Charlton TV (Valley Pass)

Previous Result: Crewe Alexandra 0-2 Charlton Athletic (Doughty 24', Washington 43')

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland) - Famously one of the worst officials in the EFL. Quite simply, how Mr Kettle still officiates remains one of life's unsolved mysteries. Trev' loves sending off Charlton players, as shown in the majority of matches he's been the man in the middle of, an example I hear you ask? Remember Oldham Athletic away back in our League One winning season in 2012... I don't think I need to go any further, but more recently the last Charlton match he took charge of, Rochdale at home in January, he sent off Jason Pearce. An interesting stat for you: Mr Kettle first officiated fully back in the 2002/03 season where he took charge of 10 Conference matches, he sent off 7 players in those games. In the following season, he took charge of 28 matches, he sent off 13 players... Let's hope he is not so card happy on Tuesday evening!

Introduction

Well first up, I am back on midweek duties. Thank you to @ForeverAddickted for stepping in whilst I had my break away from here. Some may have thought I'd moved away to Birmingham Life as my break coincided with a certain former manager leaving, but I am here so you'll have to put up with my match previews for a little longer yet!

After a very impressive run of form which has seen us look good for a play-off place, we can't get too down for narrowly losing to a side who will finish in the top two with a goalscorer who will end up with more than 30 goals in a season. 22 points from the last 11 is strong. But we can't really afford to lose any more games between now and the end of the season. So let's go get them points! Next up is the CAFC derby, Crewe Alexandra travel to The Valley. 

Opposition
Manager: David Artell (39.5% win rate)
Stadium: Gresty Road (The Alexandra Stadium)

League Position: 15th | Nickname(s): The Railwaymen
Form: WLDLWD

Crewe hosted relegation threatened Rochdale on Saturday, drawing 1-1. Their line up was:

Jääskeläinen
Daniels | Lancashire | Pickering
Evans | Lowery | Murphy | Adebisi
Mandron | Porter | Kirk

Rewind back to the beginning of the season, we started our campaign away at newly promoted Crewe with all the off field issues ongoing, praying that an injunction would not impact the ability for a Danish-American party to purchase our club. We'd go on to win 2-0 and that would momentarily provide a period of relief away from the worry that incurred all Addicks in the month of September. Our opponents that day have since had a good season back at League One level after their promotion from League Two, they have in fact been the definition of mid-table: winning 16, losing 16, drawing the other 11. The longest unbeaten run The Railwaymen have been on this season is 10 matches, achieved at the end of 2020 going into the end of January 2021. Out of their 11 draws, they've drawn 1-1 on eight occasions, whereas in our 12 draws, we have had three 0-0's, four 1-1's, four 2-2's, and that crazy 4-4 with Crewe's last opponents, Rochdale.

As many will know, Crewe have an exceptional reputation over the years of producing good players from their academy. Joint top scorer Owen Dale being a current fine example. The 22 year-old attacker started on the bench on Saturday so could be drafted back into the side on Tuesday, he will be one to watch if he plays. Charlie Kirk, who scored their goal at the weekend and was reportedly a transfer target in January, also came through their academy. Kirk is a tricky winger who usually plays on the left cutting in on his stronger foot, but has the ability to play as a number 10 as well. The 23 year-old has 6 goals and 7 assists thus far. Crewe aren't a team who score many, but have a front 3 who will cause teams some problems in this division. Mandron is their joint top scorer alongside Dale with 9 goals, and Chris Porter is a wise, experienced striker to lead the line. One more name that may look familiar is Jääskeläinen. William is the son of Jussi, the former Bolton Wanderers and Finland international goalkeeper.  

Briefly in terms of style of play, Crewe love to get the ball down and play through the thirds. Getting the ball out wide, putting crosses into the box, overloading when they attack and when they defend. Expanding on that last part, Crewe will often surround one or two players when the opposition get the ball out wide themselves. For example, if Millar is to pick up the ball in our attacking third and have Purrington just behind him, The Railwaymen would often have 4 or 5 players facing up. It can leave them short elsewhere, but they do it to delay and deny as much as possible. If one player gets beaten for pace, they have a team mate backing them up. Adkins could have noticed this and work on a few things to cause danger in this tactic that they use. Crewe aren't particularly strong in the air either so set-pieces could be key in this fixture. They have their strengths in wing play and getting up the pitch nicely, but physically, we could cause them problems.

Charlton Team News
Diallang Jaiyesimi looks set to be the only player unavailable for selection after coming off with a hamstring injury in the first half against Peterborough on Saturday. The change altered the dynamics of our play and forced us to use the left hand side for the vast majority of our attacks. With Maatsen not in the squad on Saturday, Morgan was forced to play in an unnatural position which was tough, albeit he performed well enough. A couple of wingers are most certainly on the shopping list in the summer, no matter what division we find ourselves in.

The fact that Inniss came off and his injury record has been spoken of, it wouldn't surprise me if he is to be dropped to the bench ahead of a very physical and tough away trip to Accrington Stanley on Saturday. This will see Famewo come back into the side to partner Pearce. Performances in terms of the way we move the ball have arguably improved since Watson came in to the side, however the ability Pratley has to get around the pitch could be important in allowing the more technical players to get on the ball and make us tick. I think we are likely to see Prat's back in the starting eleven.

There are always going to be players missing out and will feel unlucky not to be included, Andrew Shinnie being the one who seems to have had to make way for Alex Gilbey as Adkins prefers a more dynamic midfielder who can quickly get up and support the main forward. The transfer of Schwartz has yet to work out, but a goalscorer is a goalscorer and it would have been tough for him leaving his family in January to join us when we were struggling. I think he will need more time and I am convinced we are going to see more from the Dane. 

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Gunter, Inniss, Watson, Morgan, Washington, Aneke

Prediction
A different type of pressure under the lights at The Valley on Tuesday evening where we are expected to go out and win. After a generally positive performance, despite losing against a Peterborough side who will be in the Championship next season, the players will know that this is a huge opportunity to leapfrog our rivals into that top 6 position with only a small matter of three games to go. I have enough faith that we will put in a performance that convinces the majority that a play-off spot could well be ours come the 9th May. A convincing win.

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Crewe Alexandra
Stockley
Millar
Gilbey

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    As predictable and disapointing as yesterday was, i feel Ads will have the lads up for this, and we can take advantage on our immediate rivals with 3 points.

2-0
    Aneke double
  • Options
    3-0 to the Addicks ... Gilbey and a Chuks double. 
  • Options
    I say gamble. 
    Drop Gilbey for Chucks and go 4-4-2. 
    Anyone that passes backwards should be substituted. 
  • Options
    Need to be on the offensive from the start and get the first goal. Personally would rather see Shinnie in instead of Pratley. Only a win will do. Think he might start Washington up top with Stockley.
  • Options
    Win or bust for us here i think.

We won't mathematically be out of it we don't win (especially in this league when anything can happen) but realistically if we don't get 3 points here, i think the play offs are done for us.
  • Options
    A match we most definitely have to win, and I think we will  ... 2-0
  • Options
    I think we can set up 4-3-3 but we need to react quickly if it isn't working and have a plan B ready to go and I mean in the first half if it isn't working. if a team is playing very deep for example, it is pointless playing 2 centre halves IMO so I wouldn't sacrifice a midfielder for a forward. If we score we can always bring a centre half on.

Another option is to play say Washington or Aneke with Stockley and let Matthews provide the width on the rght. 
  • Options
    Great to have you back on previews @Sage
    Thanks mate, good to be back. Appreciate you stepping in last week. Not a bad one to do in the end!
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Need to be on the offensive from the start and get the first goal. Personally would rather see Shinnie in instead of Pratley. Only a win will do. Think he might start Washington up top with Stockley.
    I think so too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Crewe supporting mate said that most fans are worried about Aneke playing.
  • Options
    3 points. No sleep till Lincoln.
  • Options
    I'd like to see us start stockley and aneke for this, don't think their defence will be able to handle that combo.

Big pressure for us to get the 3 points, anything less and the season is out of our hands. Would love us to win this comfortably but despite our superiority on paper I still can't shake the feeling it could be a nervy one.
  • Options
    I watched them play vs Portsmouth the other week. I thought Lowery looks like a very good midfielder for them in the middle of the park, small in stature but likes to get stuck in.
  • Options
    Please play 2 up front. Stockley needs a rest so Chuks and Washington for me
  • Options
    Really shakey 2-1 win in with a goal in the last 10 minutes .... 

• Options
    Anything else than a victory will be a concern for our play offs hopes. Need an early goal to settle us down.

1-0 not expecting this to be anything but a frustrating evening until we get the opening goal.
  • Options
    5-0 Charlton. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    2-0 Inniss and Famewo reunited allowing Cap'n Pearce a deserved rest.

Squad etc to follow.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton and having done that predictor again, I male it that we have to now win three from four. That is possible, but tough 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Please play 2 up front. Stockley needs a rest so Chuks and Washington for me
    this - rest Stockley and start Chuks 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Must have Chuks and Washington starting if fit, which is why i think Nige left them till late to come on Saturday,
    and in this must win game, as indeed are this is, we need to get off to a blistering start and get the result
    i think we will, not sure, or feel the importance  in score line, as long as we get one more than them.
  • Options
    Crewe and Accy are absolute must wins, drop points against either then we will need to get at least 3-4 points against Lincoln and Hull which is a big ask. 

With both, then potentially just a point from the Lincoln and Hull games will be enough. 
  • Options
    For me:

Famewo for Pearcey
    Maatsen for DJ
    Chuks for Stockley
  • Options
    same old song .. another MUST win

CAFC 2 v Crewe Alexandra 0 .. and the play off push continues
  • Options
    Quite simply a must win.  

I think we will win but our inability to break down defences who sit back is a major problem that we've had all season.

2-1 win
  • Options
    We need to win and I fancy us for a 2-0 victory. Don't deserve the playoffs if we don't win.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Maintaining my prediction of 2-0, expect Morgan to take on Jaiyesimi's position, unless Maatsen is back fit, as we don't know I've left him out entirely. 

Famewo in for the newly niggled Pearce and Deji back on the bench. 

Watson rested, allowing Pratley in.

The Aneke on the bench is the blonde haired, pale skinned, blue eyed one... Jayden Aneke Stockley. 

• Options

4-1
  • Options
    edited April 2021

4-1
    Would quite enjoy that formation, but I don't feel that Adkins would drop Millar and he would be useless in behind the strikers.

He likes to run across defences to shoot, rather than make decent off the ball runs beyond or play through balls and intelligent forward thinking passes.