Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Les McKeown RIP

The king of Rollermania is gone.

Comments

• Bloody hell. RIP
  • Bye bye baby....

RIP
  • edited April 2021
    Echoed my words shooters. Saw him once in a pub in Dollar in clackmannanshire when I lived nr there. Couldn't get near him. RIP...
  • Bye, bye baby

In the era of pretentious prog rock and gruesome cock rock the Rollers harked back to more simple times.

Great bubble gum pop and a clear influence on the Ramones, Undertones etc

RIP Les
  • Foot tappin' easy listening stuff. Saw him a couple of times, despite his demons he always put on show. RIP Les.  
  • The wife is gutted. Who remembers the CAFC tartan scarves that were produced at the time the Rollers were in their pomp? 

RIP Les
  • The wife is gutted. Who remembers the CAFC tartan scarves that were produced at the time the Rollers were in their pomp? 

RIP Les
    Every teenage girl loved them in the 70s - they certainly boosted tartan sales.

RIP Les
    Yep, had one of them wrapped round my wrist 😉

RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2021
    As a serius rock/prog/folk fan I hated the Bay City Rollers in their heyday but I later saw them in a seventies revival show (the Les McKeown version) and they were great fun, as were all the other bands. Oddly enough was watching them a couple of days ago in a skit with Lulu.

RIP Les.
  • Very sad news. I loved the Bay City Rollers and Les in particular.
  • Didnt he come out as gay recently......or was the lead singer of Mud ?

Anyway.....not really my scene & more for the girls but still sad when a 70's front man goes

RIP.

• Shocked to hear this.
    RIP Les x
  • Think of the West Stand patrons.
  • RIP. Very sad news, especially as he was only 65
  • edited April 2021
    Didnt he come out as gay recently......or was the lead singer of Mud ?

Anyway.....not really my scene & more for the girls but still sad when a 70's front man goes

RIP.

Not recently. Years ago he spoke about gay orgies when he was younger. Les Gray died a long time ago.    
  • I’m not going to pretend I knew anything about him or who he was before the references to The Bay City Rollers. Now I know, RIP 
  • edited April 2021
    Rather bizarrely the Ramones were apparently influenced by the Rollers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad news. Fun times with a hair brush in the living room listening to the charts. RIP 
  • Yeah evokes memories of getting my mum to sew tartan around the bottom of my trousers. 
    RIP.
  • Rather bizarrely the Ramones were apparently influenced by the Rollers.
    Nothing Bizarre about it.
  • edited April 2021

Rather bizarrely the Ramones were apparently influenced by the Rollers.
    • Apparently 
    • The Ramones' famous chant, "Hey, Ho, Let's Go!" is a big part of this song. They wanted their own chant after hearing "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers, which had the chant "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, Night."

Joey Ramone explained: "I hate to blow the mystique, but at the time we really liked bubblegum music, and we really liked the Bay City Rollers. Their song 'Saturday Night' had a great chant in it, so we wanted a song with a chant in it: 'Hey! Ho! Let's Go!'. 'Blitzkrieg Bop' was our 'Saturday Night'."

• Apparently 
    • The Ramones' famous chant, "Hey, Ho, Let's Go!" is a big part of this song. They wanted their own chant after hearing "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers, which had the chant "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, Night."

Joey Ramone explained: "I hate to blow the mystique, but at the time we really liked bubblegum music, and we really liked the Bay City Rollers. Their song 'Saturday Night' had a great chant in it, so we wanted a song with a chant in it: 'Hey! Ho! Let's Go!'. 'Blitzkrieg Bop' was our 'Saturday Night'."
    Exactly

• Apparently 

Exactly
    I never knew this until today..
  • I met him about 10 years ago at a party to open a restaurant by the river in Wandsworth and towards the end of the evening we ended standing and drinking with mutual friends. Seemed a pretty decent guy. 
  • I had the tartan turn-ups. Very sad. RIP.
  • I remember there being a palace away match, possibly the one with the massive riot afterwards, when we all rocked up and a lot of charlton fans were buying the tartan scarves for a pound from a bloke outside the pub by the station. It was the year we got promoted I think, so possibly 1975, when the charlton away support was prolifically knicking scarves off the home team fans and wearing them at the valley so that near the end of the season the covered end was basically full of scarves other than red ones.