Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth v Charlton | Tue 20 Apr | 7:45pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Plymouth Argyle v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 20th April 2021 ... 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Purkiss

Sam Purkiss takes charge of his third Charlton game this season and has given a penalty to the team in red on both occasions, firstly at the Valley ensuring the Addicks recorded a 3-2 victory over Fleetwood, and then at Peterborough which turned out to be our most recent defeat on the road.

Introduction
Its been a season of inconsistency, not just from the Addicks but from the majority of teams across the divison - Going into our April fixtures it looked as though we could kiss our hopes of the Play-Offs goodbye, yet wins against Doncaster and Sunderland pushed us right back into the mix... A draw on Saturday against Ipswich has potentially made the task a little harder, especially when you compare the run in fixtures for our rivals, but the positive is the fact that its now in our hands... We travel to Plymouth this Tuesday night which will be our penultimate away game in the league this season, our form away from the Valley has kept us going this season, now isnt the time for it to falter.

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle (16th) | Manager: Ryan Lowe
Ground: Home Park
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 2-2 Plymouth Argyle

Cmon lets be serious, if you want to enjoy Christmas the best way to enjoy it is to forget about Charlton, we're the typical grinch come the festive period, after all our performances on Boxing Day are sketchy to say the least and there have certainly been a few turkeys on show - Boxing Day this season was largely no better with the Addicks conceding twice (hell at least we've been consistent); Chris Gunter and Marcus Maddison rescuing a point.

It was a surprise when Plymouth were relegated from League One two years ago, especially as the Addicks stole their Play-Off place at the death just a year before, with Ryan Lowe in charge though it wasnt overly surprising that the Pilgrims made an instant recovery and their return to this level has been all about consolidation, a respectable 16th place at present means their season is set to finish without much drama, despite a brief run at the turn of the year which made it look as though Plymouth could have be making another Play-Off charge.

As I said at the start of the preview, inconsistency has been the key word for many teams in this Division though and seven defeats in the last ten have ended any hopes meaning that our trip to Devon should hopefully be routine... Plymouth will still be playing for pride though with Luke Jephcott looking to add to his sixteen league goals this term, you'd surely expect this to be his last season on the South Coast before either making the move to one of the "big teams" in this division or to the Championship at the very least.

Charlton Team News
Ahead of the line up on Saturday the talk from Sparrows Lane was all about whether we'd see Ian Maatsen or Chuks Aneke appearing after suffering knocks in recent away games... Both were absent against Ipswich yet could well return for Tuesdays clash, along with Conor Washington who has recently return to training; Nigel Adkins mentioned prior to the Ipswich game that the Northern Irish attacker will be assessed in the coming week so this game might come a bit too soon for the tireless worker.

Elsewhere and we may well see a change in the line up for the first time under Adkins' reign, with Charlton making just the one change on Saturday there was surely one eye on the trip to Plymouth so we may well see the likes of Akin Famewo and Andrew Shinnie coming into the team, as too could the likes of Albie Morgan or the on-loan Michael Smith with both being told that their contributions will yet be required before this season is done and confined to the history books.

Amos
Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Purrington
Forster-Caskey - Pratley - Shinnie
Jaiyesimi - Stockley - Maatsen

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Inniss - Oshilaja - Gilbey - Matthews - Aneke - Schwartz

Prediction
The games and coming thick and fast now with the Addicks now playing every Saturday - Tuesday between now and the end of the season, recovery between the two games was always a big issue under Lee Bowyer so firstly it'll be interesting to see how the players adapt to quick turnaround under Nigel Adkins - Plymouth's players could well be on the beach by now as any chances of relegation are extremely slip, but this has been a season hindered by COVID and we'll be coming up against players who'll be desperate to secure their futures at this level.

At this stage, no game is an easy fixture, position is all but worthless

Comments

• Options
    It's a 7:45pm kickoff incidentally. Surprised it wasn't moved forward a bit, even being able to leave Plymouth 45 minutes earlier would be beneficial for us
  • Options
    It's a 7:45pm kickoff incidentally. Surprised it wasn't moved forward a bit, even being able to leave Plymouth 45 minutes earlier would be beneficial for us
    Fecking typical... All throughout writing the preview my brain was telling me to check the OS or BBC for the kick-off time just to be safe in case it wasnt a 7pm start - Nope the one time I dont bloody bother is the one time its left well alone
  • Options
    A good point about the kick off time. 
  • Options
    Watson starts and we win 1 - 0
  • Options
    Backing us to win 3 - 1 , late goal to consolidate the win
  • Options
    Definitely a must win game having failed to beat Ipswich. 
    Last chance of reaching the playoffs fast approaching. 
    Sadly I can't see beyond a draw.1.1
  • Options
    I think maybe Put out a similar team against plymouth as the defence  are not giving much away at the moment but need to change things around a bit as the long ball up to stockley is to predictable,leave millar out and put Schwartz in and maybe bring Shinnie in for gilbey to bring a bit more creativity.Then for the Peterborough game bring in Famewo along side innis to shackle Clarke Harris and szmodics two speed merchants.leave Shinnie in for creativity and Aneke and Washington  hopefully for a few goals, hopefully that way it will bring us six points come Saturday evening.
  • Options
    Watson starts and we win 1 - 0
    Much preferred, as a starter, over Pratley IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watson starts and we win 1 - 0 gets booked within the first 10 minutes
    Corrected
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    This, the Crewe game and the Accrington one are the 3 of the 4 wins we need to get. Get those 3 wins and Im confident we could pick up the 2 or 3 points we need from the others to cement a playoff place. 
  • Options
    Another game of lumping it up to Stockley running around on his own. 

We don't trust ourselves not to give cheap goals away so we make ourselves hard to beat and go from there.

• Options
    It was more effective in the 2nd half of the Sunderland game Stockley received more balls on his chest and was able to actually pass feet to feet rather than with the ball to his head and a flick on to how knows where. Of course Chuks is far better a receiving the ball and bringing other players into play.
  • Options
    AS others as said FA, you have left Watson out of the squad, after Saturday when NADS was complementing him, I expect him to start and unless Inniss needs resting, I cannot see him being out of the starting eleven, but when I disagree with you, you are more often right than me
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    At least Chuka has travelled with the team for this one. So have Morgan and Smith. Someone on a fb group took a pic with nearly every player earlier today at New Eltham station.
  • Options
    Adkins confirms Aneke and Washington's return to training | CAFC. aim for a win or draw tommorow as we nurse conor and chuks to fitness hopefully for the game afterwards
  • Options
    I assume that with the easing of Covid rules, football teams are allowed to use public transport again, as previously they had to travel in very secure and separate bubbles.

The GWR train down to Plymouth will be fine as they will presumably have their own carriage and the train will probably be pretty empty anyway, but such segregation won't be possible on the tube or Southeastern train.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that New Eltham station?! I've never been. 

Chuks still a fan of wired earphones...good man!
  • Options
    I assume that with the easing of Covid rules, football teams are allowed to use public transport again, as previously they had to travel in very secure and separate bubbles.

The GWR train down to Plymouth will be fine as they will presumably have their own carriage and the train will probably be pretty empty anyway, but such segregation won't be possible on the tube or Southeastern train.
    The tubes been busy on the couple of days a week i go in. Quite a few people not wearing masks either, crazy.
  • Options
    Would not take Matthews out for Gunter 
  • Options
    2-0 to Plymouth.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Is that New Eltham station?! I've never been. 

Chuks still a fan of wired earphones...good man!
    It's Paddington if you're being serious.
  • Options

It's Paddington if you're being serious.

no, this is Paddington

• Options
    0-3. 
  • Options
    Don’t worry, I’m sure we will have packed up by half time.