Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mirroring the 2017/18 season

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Both Bowyer and Adkins first game was the 37th game of the season.

Bowyer's team won 2-0 against Plymouth.

Adkins' team drew 2-2 at WImbledon.

Bowyer went on to achieve six wins and one draw (three losses) from his ten games. We finished on 71 points and came sixth.

Plymouth (H) - 2-0 W
    Northampton (A) - 4-0 W
    Rotherham (H) - 3-1 W
    Bristol R (A) - 1-1 D
    Wimbledon (A) - 0-1 L
    Scunthorpe (H) - 0-1 L
    Shrewsbury (A) - 2-0 W
    Portsmouth (A) - 1-0 W
    Blackburn (H) - 1-0 W
    Rochdale (A) - 0-1 L

So far Adkins has two wins and one draw from three games. We will likely need more than 4 wins from the last seven games to get in the top six.

Wimbledon (A) - 2-2 D
    Doncaster (A) - 1-0 W
    Sunderland (A) - 2-1 W
  • Options
    That season we fell into the play offs & were soundly beaten over 2 legs. I have a feeling this season could be the same. Only team I fancy over 2 legs would be Pompey....and if we do get into the play offs it could be instead of them. 
  • Options
    We had a much better side in 2018/18, albeit I think Stockley is a significant upgrade on Magennis.  However, it’s a much weaker league IMO.  
  • Options
    I think we are getting stronger by the week...especially with a more settled side
  • Options
    Wasn't that the 18/19 season ?
  • Options
    Wasn't that the 18/19 season ?

No - 17/18 - losing both legs to Shrewsbury in the semi-final. 18/19 ended, of course, in glorious victory at Wembley!
  • Options
    This data is depressing, I had started to kid myself that we might just be able to get up this season!
  • Options
    In 18/19 we were the form team going into the playoffs, so I was confident we could go on and win the lot, and of course we did. 

17/18 I felt like we stumbled into them, and we never looked like beating Shrewsbury in the semi's apart from the first 10 mins of the first leg!

• Options
    We are bang in form at the moment and if we can get all our squad fit ahead of potential play offs, I fancy us to get to Wembley ahead of the usual lottery of that day. Innis, JFC, Stockley, DJ, Washington, Aneke, Gilbey and Amos all key. Many are proving they are better players under Adkins’ style eg Gilbey, DJ, Maatsen and I think we are in for a more exciting end to the season than we anticipated just a month ago, no matter what. Can’t wait for Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at that Shrewsbury match again, there's some really interesting players in there. Ezri Konsa played for us and Dean Henderson and Ben Godfrey played for them. All Premier League players now and all future England internationals. Aribo is also now a league winner and a Nigerian international. I remember thinking that Shrews were a team in form but not a great one but they had some real talent there
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We had a much better side in 2018/18, albeit I think Stockley is a significant upgrade on Magennis.  However, it’s a much weaker league IMO.  
    Magennis is a decent player at this level. He'll never be a 20 goal a season player, but he's got 13 this season for Hull. What we lacked in 17/18 was a decent poacher alongside him
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    In 18/19 we were the form team going into the playoffs, so I was confident we could go on and win the lot, and of course we did. 

17/18 I felt like we stumbled into them, and we never looked like beating Shrewsbury in the semi's apart from the first 10 mins of the first leg!

19 points from your last 10 league games is not stumbling into the playoffs. 
    While losing the Rochdale, Wimbledon and Scunthorpe? I wouldnt say we stormed into them either....
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I dunno, I'd also rather have Millar, DJ, Washington, Aneke, Schwartz and Maatsen to choose from as attackers for a play-off semi than the options we had against Shrewsbury which were Mark Marshall, Kaikai, Zyro, Ajose and a badly out of form Fosu. I really didn't like that 17/18 squad
    Phillips, Dijksteel , Bauer, a younger Pearce , Konsa, Da Silva, a younger JFC, Aribo would all walk into this team.  I don’t disagree with your comments about  strikers although we are only using one of the ones that can play as a number 9.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Magennis is a decent player at this level. He'll never be a 20 goal a season player, but he's got 13 this season for Hull. What we lacked in 17/18 was a decent poacher alongside him
    KAG had just started scoring for us before we loaned him out that season, would have been interesting to see if he could have formed an effective partnership with Josh if he stayed. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This data is depressing, I had started to kid myself that we might just be able to get up this season!
    "Past Performance Is No Indicator of Future Performance" .......... as Golfie has to tell all his clients.  :smile:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Indeed, over the course of most seasons, that's often enough to win automatic promotion.

• Options
    I don't think 71 points will be enough this year - might need 74 or 75....
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

While losing the Rochdale, Wimbledon and Scunthorpe? I wouldnt say we stormed into them either....
    Not easy fixtures though, eh?

Scunthorpe had been in the play off positions all season, so were no mugs ...... but despite losing to them, we eventually pipped them to finish 6th.

Losing to Rochdale and Wimbledon underlines how uncertain it is to get a result against a relegation battling side, fighting for their lives in the final run-in.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Scunthorpe had been in the play off positions all season, so were no mugs ...... but despite losing to them, we eventually pipped them to finish 6th.

Losing to Rochdale and Wimbledon underlines how uncertain it is to get a result against a relegation battling side, fighting for their lives in the final run-in.

I thought Scunthorpe finished 5th that year and lost to Rotherham in the Semi-Finals, it was Portsmouth and Plymouth we pipped to sixth
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

I thought Scunthorpe finished 5th that year and lost to Rotherham in the Semi-Finals, it was Portsmouth and Plymouth we pipped to sixth
    You’re right, we finished 3 points behind Scunthorpe. 

Also says a lot that from 24 teams that season, only two have managed to currently be in a league higher than league 1.
  • Options
    Agree. It's looking very unlikely that 71 points would be enough.

When you consider the current 6th placed side (Portsmouth) already has 65 points.
    You'd have to fancy them to get more than 6 points from their final 6 matches.

The reality, of course, as ever ..... the team that finishes 6th needs only 1 more point than the team that finishes 7th.

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Magennis is a decent player at this level. He'll never be a 20 goal a season player, but he's got 13 this season for Hull. What we lacked for most of 17/18 was anyone alongside him

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Well spotted, @ForeverAddickted

Cheers, mate.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Defeats against a fellow play off side who finished 5th plus  2 sides fighting for their lives to avoid relegation. 

Before Bowyer took charge we were 9th, 5 points off the top 6 with a minus goals difference and only picked up 6 points from the last 8 games with Robinson in charge. 

We were going nowhere under Robinson with that squad. That side with Bowyer in charge won at Shrewsbury who had not been out of the top 3 all season, an away win at fellow playoff contenders in Portsmouth plus a home wins against another play off contender in Plymouth. A 3-1 win v Rotherham who finished 4th and a 1-0 win against an Automatic promoted. team in Blackburn Rovers. 

It’s that’s a side with stumbling form then FairPlay to them back them. 

With those 6 league wins, Bowyer became the most successful Charlton Athletic in the club’s history with a 60% win rate in their first 10 league games in charge of the football club beating the likes of Seed, Curbishley/Gritt and Powell
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

We lost the game b4 hand though so he may have meant that
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

We lost the game b4 hand though so he may have meant that
    I went to that Rochdale game and it was a lovely end to the season for them, but it knocked any momentum we had built up going into that playoff. It showed in the first leg as we barely threatened after that opening 10 minute spell. 6 shots on target across both playoff legs. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I dunno, I'd also rather have Millar, DJ, Washington, Aneke, Schwartz and Maatsen to choose from as attackers for a play-off semi than the options we had against Shrewsbury which were Mark Marshall, Kaikai, Zyro, Ajose and a badly out of form Fosu. I really didn't like that 17/18 squad
    Phillips, Dijksteel , Bauer, a younger Pearce , Konsa, Da Silva, a younger JFC, Aribo would all walk into this team.  I don’t disagree with your comments about  strikers although we are only using one of the ones that can play as a number 9.  
    We were definitely good at the back but toothless in attack which really cost us in the end. I actually think JFC is currently delivering the best form of his Charlton career though, he's figured his role out and is offering a lot more defensively than he used to. I'd rather have modern day JFC (but with 2017/18 JFC's hair)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Agree. It's looking very unlikely that 71 points would be enough.

When you consider the current 6th placed side (Portsmouth) already has 65 points.
    You'd have to fancy them to get more than 6 points from their final 6 matches.

The reality, of course, as ever ..... the team that finishes 6th needs only 1 more point than the team that finishes 7th.

Or the same number of points but a better goal difference....🤔