Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fukushima: Japan announces it will dump contaminated water into sea

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dizzle said:
    I watched Seaspiracy last night on Netflix and that sent me to bed on a proper downer
    Not  trying to derail the thread but although I thought Seaspiracy raised good points and important questions - I wouldn't take everything it presented as scripture, the director is a hardcore vegan to start so has manipulated the facts to fit his narrative. Not saying mass fisheries etc aren't a problem or that it's a 'clean' industry, but worth having a look around online for further information. 

https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/seaspiracy-fact-check-netflix-documentary-what-about-accuracy-explained-935761
    The distorted use of outdated and questionable statistics on fish stocks a major flaw which seriously detracts from some very worthwhile subject matter in Seaspiracy's material.
    So very often the case that the zealous fail to resist ramping everything up beyond the facts and credibility with the consequence that their well intentioned and potentially valuable contribution gets wasted.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    I watched Seaspiracy last night on Netflix and that sent me to bed on a proper downer
    The scene with the slaughetering of whales, that was plenty to stop me ever eating fish again. (I didn't even eat much fish before and haven't eaten much meat at all since last January, except what I believed was ethically sourced Tuna)
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.
    Japan's environmental standards are world class since the mercury scandal.in the 1950's.

Certainly better than dumping mountains of toxic and nuclear waste in an occupied neighbour like, say, Tibet.
    Pity their attitude towards whaling isn’t!🐋
    I know this is another subject but I was actually going to raise the topic of Japanese killing whales too. I always think it's a disgrace. I've seen the slaughter scene only once or twice on TV and it was a long time ago. That alone made me feel sick and sad. Can't those people just eat ordinary fish???!!! It's as if no fish other than whales could satisfy their appetite. Jesus Christ. 
    I was referring to the scene in Seaspiracy (which should have been called Conspirasea). Basically on the Faroe Islands each year they corner and slaughter around 850 whales each year. I know it's not THAT many, but the scene which showed it happening was bloody brutal, no pun intended. 

It had me and my partner both welling up. I can only imagine how the guy filming felt.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    we all need heat, light and comfort, the price we all pay is planetary pollution.
     Until huge amounts of money are spent on research into both 'alternative' energy forms and into waste disposal, the consequences for the planet's eco systems will be unpredictable.
    This recent BBC article should give us all the shivers. There are just too many people producing too much waste product for the health of the planet and all the billions of people living on it .. Sewage discharged into rivers 400,000 times in 2020 - BBC News
    I think the current pandemic is a pointer to what can be achieved by science relatively quickly when there is a genuine and real desire for a solution. If money and resources can be poured into a new way of powering our world that is cost effective and efficient then I’m sure that the answer to our needs isn’t as far away as we might think. The brick wall to this though is the established power. The petrochemical giants and the vested interests in the governments of the world. Things have to change. 
    But all the while huge profits can be made, the rich get richer and governments are in league with the giant oil corporations ....... do you really believe things will change?
    Certainly not while the population masses are apathetic or only pay lip service to these issues.

They won’t change in my lifetime Oggy but they will eventually. Those giant corporations and those complicit in governments around the world will already be looking at how they can diversify into new energies without breaking stride. It’s just going to take quite a while for these bastards to get all their ducks in a row. Nothing to see here. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    The scene with the slaughetering of whales, that was plenty to stop me ever eating fish again. (I didn't even eat much fish before and haven't eaten much meat at all since last January, except what I believed was ethically sourced Tuna)
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.
    Japan's environmental standards are world class since the mercury scandal.in the 1950's.

Certainly better than dumping mountains of toxic and nuclear waste in an occupied neighbour like, say, Tibet.
    I know this is another subject but I was actually going to raise the topic of Japanese killing whales too. I always think it's a disgrace. I've seen the slaughter scene only once or twice on TV and it was a long time ago. That alone made me feel sick and sad. Can't those people just eat ordinary fish???!!! It's as if no fish other than whales could satisfy their appetite. Jesus Christ. 
    I was referring to the scene in Seaspiracy (which should have been called Conspirasea). Basically on the Faroe Islands each year they corner and slaughter around 850 whales each year. I know it's not THAT many, but the scene which showed it happening was bloody brutal, no pun intended. 

It had me and my partner both welling up. I can only imagine how the guy filming felt.
    Do they eat the whales? 
    If so, no difference to catching fish in a net and pulling them out of the sea. Just bit more bloody. 

Always makes me laugh when people will only eat dolphin friendly tuna. 

What makes the dolphin worthy of saving but not the tuna fish ! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 
    If so, no difference to catching fish in a net and pulling them out of the sea. Just bit more bloody. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Mammals good, fishes bad?
    Fishes yummy, mammals suckle mummy?  ;)

I guess it's because we are all moral hypocrites.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Firstly Dolphins and Whales are mammals, NOT fish. 

Yes they eat the whales, I still disagree with it on a personal level, especially as 6 Whale species out of 13 are endangered. Dolphins and Whales are known to be extremely intelligent mammals. 

With regards the dolphins, around 5 are killed for every tuna. The dolphins are not used for food, they're just thrown back dead into the ocean alongside any fish that aren't the target species.  

That's what makes the Dolphin worth saving over a tuna... The dolphin are killed and dumped. The Tuna is kept and sold for food.  

Some other things raised by the documentary:

Commercial fishing nets make up over 50% of the plastic pollution in the ocean.

Drag nets destroy coral and sea/ocean beds harming the habitats and reducing the oceans ability to process carbon dioxide.  

As an aside, my moral compass on eating meat has been changing over the last couple of years and the reality of any meat be it red, white or anything else is disgusting, brutal and almost always completely apathetic. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    we all need heat, light and comfort, the price we all pay is planetary pollution.
     Until huge amounts of money are spent on research into both 'alternative' energy forms and into waste disposal, the consequences for the planet's eco systems will be unpredictable.
    This recent BBC article should give us all the shivers. There are just too many people producing too much waste product for the health of the planet and all the billions of people living on it .. Sewage discharged into rivers 400,000 times in 2020 - BBC News
    I think the current pandemic is a pointer to what can be achieved by science relatively quickly when there is a genuine and real desire for a solution. If money and resources can be poured into a new way of powering our world that is cost effective and efficient then I’m sure that the answer to our needs isn’t as far away as we might think. The brick wall to this though is the established power. The petrochemical giants and the vested interests in the governments of the world. Things have to change. 
    But all the while huge profits can be made, the rich get richer and governments are in league with the giant oil corporations ....... do you really believe things will change?
    Certainly not while the population masses are apathetic or only pay lip service to these issues.

They won’t change in my lifetime Oggy but they will eventually. Those giant corporations and those complicit in governments around the world will already be looking at how they can diversify into new energies without breaking stride. It’s just going to take quite a while for these bastards to get all their ducks in a row. Nothing to see here. 
    Yes, Shooters ...... I think you and me are on the same page here.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Do you think there's any difference between eating a chicken or a goose, and eating a dog or a cat? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Do you think there's any difference between eating a chicken or a goose, and eating a dog or a cat? 
    Only emotionally. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

There’s no difference, only social and cultural conditioning. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Taste too, KFCat doesn’t sound great. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Taste too, KFCat doesn’t sound great. 
    It probably sounds delicious to cultures who see nothing wrong with eating cat. Like I said, it’s how you’re conditioned.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Ha! The speciesist question. In the future people will look back and be shocked in the same manner that people do now looking back at the racism of previous generations.

It amazes me that people get all doting over their dogs and cats, and then sit down to eat cow or lamb.

This is one reason why I'm against BLM and stopping of publication of Dr Seuss. We mustn't judge past générations by present values.
  • Options
    I watched Seaspiracy last night and whilst it angered me, shocked me I was doing my best to remember all documentaries like that have an angle, a bit like game changers. 

But I've kind of always known Tuna with a dolphin friendly sticker on, how can it be dolphin friendly unless all of these Tuna are being caught on a line as opposed to being hauled out of the sea in massive trawler nets. 

I dont eat a lot of fish anyway but I'm on board with any push to clean up the ocean and its seabeds, coral and ecosystem 

The other thing I keep in mind watching stuff like that is there has to be a logical solution and as suspected there is, fishing exclusion zones that are enforced but I suppose that will work as well as asking poppy farmers in Afghanistan to grow grain instead 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

Yes they eat the whales, I still disagree with it on a personal level, especially as 6 Whale species out of 13 are endangered. Dolphins and Whales are known to be extremely intelligent mammals. 

With regards the dolphins, around 5 are killed for every tuna. The dolphins are not used for food, they're just thrown back dead into the ocean alongside any fish that aren't the target species.  

That's what makes the Dolphin worth saving over a tuna... The dolphin are killed and dumped. The Tuna is kept and sold for food.  

Drag nets destroy coral and sea/ocean beds harming the habitats and reducing the oceans ability to process carbon dioxide.  

As an aside, my moral compass on eating meat has been changing over the last couple of years and the reality of any meat be it red, white or anything else is disgusting, brutal and almost always completely apathetic. 
    If dolphins and Whales are that intelligent you would have thought they would scarper in the other direction when they see/hear a whaling ship heading in their direction? 🧐😉
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    If anyone wants an idea of the levels of radiation still in Japan, watch dark tourist on netflix, its a shocker 🙈
    Yeah, if you want to know anything about science, watch Netflix...forget peer reviewed, published journals, or even reliable news sources...Netflix all the way.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    If anyone wants an idea of the levels of radiation still in Japan, watch dark tourist on netflix, its a shocker 🙈
    Yeah, if you want to know anything about science, watch Netflix...forget peer reviewed, published journals, or even reliable news sources...Netflix all the way.
    I doubt there are many non scientists  who actually read anything peer reviewed let alone journals. I have worked for many many years in a world leading university and consider myself as bang on average intelligence, I struggle to stay awake just reading the first few paragraphs of the abstract on most papers. Believe or not I have actually got my name on a few papers as an author, (not first author not even sixth), I don’t understand any of them. Netflix, tv, magazines and the internet are my friends, like most I have to have things explained in simple laymen terms, I just have to able to think a little further than the spoon fed approach. 
    For all the good things the Internet has brought us like bringing information, like Fukushima and other environmental issues, to the masses it has also had the effect of making a lot of people intelligent on their own keyboard. Facebook and Twitter users tend to be the worst for this, parroting portions of text that they neither understand or really care about. 
    There is a very simple solution to the worlds environmental problems but not many are willing to face the reality of the problem. 

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Do they eat the whales? 

If dolphins and Whales are that intelligent you would have thought they would scarper in the other direction when they see/hear a whaling ship heading in their direction? 🧐😉
    They do, but we're one step ahead of them. In the documentary Blackfish, there is a pod of killer whales that tricks the hunters by splitting up in an effort to help the calves escape. They're smart, just not smarter than us. 

Ultimately, as a species, we are a horrific presence on this planet, and I suspect we will either have to make an astounding technological breakthrough, or go through some sort of monumental upheaval if we are ever to live in balance with the natural world. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I doubt there are many non scientists  who actually read anything peer reviewed let alone journals. I have worked for many many years in a world leading university and consider myself as bang on average intelligence, I struggle to stay awake just reading the first few paragraphs of the abstract on most papers. Believe or not I have actually got my name on a few papers as an author, (not first author not even sixth), I don’t understand any of them. Netflix, tv, magazines and the internet are my friends, like most I have to have things explained in simple laymen terms, I just have to able to think a little further than the spoon fed approach. 

There is a very simple solution to the worlds environmental problems but not many are willing to face the reality of the problem. 

I take your point, and identify with what you say. However, I’d never assume that having watched an entertainment show on telly, which involved a bunch of idiots driving around with Geiger counters, that I had a good understanding of how safe it now is to go to Fukushima. Just because we struggle staying awake while reading New Scientist, it doesn’t mean Netflix is a worthy substitute.

As for your very simple solution to the world’s environmental problems (and we both might regret this), go on then, let’s hear it...
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

I take your point, and identify with what you say. However, I’d never assume that having watched an entertainment show on telly, which involved a bunch of idiots driving around with Geiger counters, that I had a good understanding of how safe it now is to go to Fukushima. Just because we struggle staying awake while reading New Scientist, it doesn’t mean Netflix is a worthy substitute.

As for your very simple solution to the world’s environmental problems (and we both might regret this), go on then, let’s hear it...
    Absolutely agree but if Netflix sparks a few brain cells into life  a few people, (hopefully the young), may take a step forward and become a little more knowledgeable. I know these American "documentary's" can be a little sensationalized in the subjects that they cover but they do have to appeal to a target audience and probably more importantly turn a profit. Learning, especially for the young who are probably the target audience, has to be able to grab  interest. So if it takes a few people  marching about making dramatic statements with a bit of pseudo science mixed in I dont think its too harmful.

Probably best I keep my simple solutions to the worlds problems to myself......... ;-)

• Options
    I love Dolphins.

They taste just like chicken.