Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boundary problem

My house flank wall is directly next to my neighbours path. They have a plant bed that has plants in that are touching my wall, with some ivy like stuff growing up the wall. I think this is contributing to some damp problems we have.
What can I do about this? The neighbour doesn’t care and won’t do anything.
Can I cut back the plants touching my wall?

Comments

• edited April 2021
    iainment said:
    My house flank wall is directly next to my neighbours path. They have a plant bed that has plants in that are touching my wall, with some ivy like stuff growing up the wall. I think this is contributing to some damp problems we have.
    Ask them to remove the growth nicely again and then it’s a solicitor I’m afraid. Had the same problem a few years ago. When I informed my neighbours I was going to instruct a solicitor they caved. You can cut and return the plants if you can gain access. You should by law have reasonable access for maintenance. Good luck. Please keep us informed.
  • iainment said:
    Ask them to remove the growth nicely again and then it’s a solicitor I’m afraid. Had the same problem a few years ago. When I informed my neighbours I was going to instruct a solicitor they caved. You can cut and return the plants if you can gain access. You should by law have reasonable access for maintenance. Good luck. Please keep us informed.
    This bit (in bold) is crucial.  Cut it back to whatever extent is required to prevent problems in your property, but don't remove it. 
  • If the neighbour isn’t bothered, then they won’t be bothered if  you cut the plants back. As Chizz says above, only cut back far enough so they are  not touching your house or over the boundary. You are perfectly within your rights to do that.
  • If they aren’t bothered perhaps they just can’t be fucked to do it, maybe offer to do it/get it done