Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd April 1989

Comments

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2021
    Was there in shirt & tie, came direct from a christening in Greenwich, had a few beers with Steve Sutherland afterwards in the valley club 
  • Options
    i was there and remember big Tommy W asking if he could borrow our pick axe and sledge hammer - he then demolished the turnstiles at the top of the east stand and somebody came over and said they were meant to stay intact !!! 
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Is that the old covered end behind? I always thought it was a terrace. I never got to go to a match at the old Valley.
  • Options
    Try looking sideways.

Covered End is pretty clear then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Try looking sideways.

Covered End is pretty clear then.
    Your sarcasm is unnecessary. All the old recordings I've seen it was a terrace.

Anyone know what year those seats went in?
  • Options
    I wasn't being sarcastic. 

Just thought it was pretty obvious it was the covered end to a fellow Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I wasn't being sarcastic. 

Just thought it was pretty obvious it was the covered end to a fellow Charlton fan.
    Ok argumentative, whatever. I suggested it was the covered end and was making chat. I don't recall ever seeing it pre 1992 with seats.

Anyway, let's change the subject. It feels like some people have a way of turning every comment in to an arguement.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/GKRhHKdrieM

26mins and a bit in Charlton v Brum for the Loyal Lee Bowyer Cup can see seats in the Covered End November 1984
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The seats went into the Covered End in the middle of the 1980-1 promotion season, part one of making The Valley all seater. I know that's standard nowadays, at the time it seemed a strange decision, particularly with the wide open East terrace. It had the feel of many other Charlton schemes over the years, veering between bad timing and the completely bonkers.
  • Options

26mins and a bit in Charlton v Brum for the Loyal Lee Bowyer Cup can see seats in the Covered End November 1984
    Great, never seen that before. Almost a full two years before my first match at Selhurst.

The Valley looks grim.
  • Options

when you think you've seen all of the "pre-sky" highlights, this little nugget comes along..

A magnificent crowd of 4,850 - shame the cameras didn't pan around at some point to show the East Terrace in all its glory.

Thanks @oohaahmortimer - what did you think of Birmingham's away support?  :)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Solid 400  which was double what we took to brum that season 😜
  • Options
    Match of The Day back then showed two matches - one from each of the two top divisions. 
    They showed a decent length of both matches so that you could get a decent feel of the match.
    The referee was virtually invisible and there was no feigning injury.

Back on topic: I reckon that there were about 800 at the Valley clean up. 
  • Options
    some great pictures, I'm in there somewhere and recognise plenty of old faces