Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The changing face of viewing matches

I've been thinking recently about how much this covid malarky could possibly change the rules around viewing games forever.
Before this all happened, no matches were allowed to be aired live at 3pm on a saturday and streaming services were only allowed to be viewed from a non UK location (and not with a vpn, you naughty boys & girls). The lockdown restrictions have forced the football authorities to be finally dragged into the 21st century, albeit on a temporary basis for now.

When the time comes and we're allowed back into stadiums, I personally can't see things going back to how they were.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not suggesting that things will stay as they currently are, but I also don't see them going back to how they were

• Options
    edited March 2021
    This is very worrying.
    Stadiums need to be packed with as many fans as possible as soon as possible.
    That is the only solution as far as I am concerned.
    Live broadcast coverage should be very limited too.
  • Options
    Need to remember that it was once believed that ANY live football on TV would finally kill the game forever!

But the greedy clubs got their way. After just a few years of showing a couple of live games a week, football became a billion pound industry with attendances higher than ever at all levels.

Don't be too conservative - not all change is bad!
  • Options
    This is very worrying.
    Stadiums need to be packed with as many fans as possible as soon as possible.
    That is the only solution as far as I am concerned.
    Live broadcast coverage should be very limited too.
    I am pleased to see Stu_of_Kunming agreed with my comments, as he and others in a similar position may particularly draw a short straw given my way of thinking.
    May I add that I would like to think there would be live coverage, set up in some way, for fans living abroad.
  • Options
    I think the problem may manifest itself in the long term - in the short term I don't think its an issue. When things return to a semblance of normality, we will see a boom in attendances. The travel and hospitality industries will also benefit from what is being termed "revenge" behaviour.

From my point of view, I have been to a handful of games a season for the last 25 years. When The Valley is largely open, even if we are still wearing face masks, I'll be there a lot more often. People are desperate for social interaction and engagement after a year of sitting at home, so the people that only ever sat at home and watched games on TV or streams may maintain the behaviour, but anyone that has ever been to a game, at any level, will be back live, even if it clashes with a live TV game or is being streamed, because they are essentially bored with it. 

When the novelty of a normal life has worn off, then we may see problems, but I think that's a long way off.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I think the problem may manifest itself in the long term - in the short term I don't think its an issue. When things return to a semblance of normality, we will see a boom in attendances. The travel and hospitality industries will also benefit from what is being termed "revenge" behaviour.

From my point of view, I have been to a handful of games a season for the last 25 years. When The Valley is largely open, even if we are still wearing face masks, I'll be there a lot more often. People are desperate for social interaction and engagement after a year of sitting at home, so the people that only ever sat at home and watched games on TV or streams may maintain the behaviour, but anyone that has ever been to a game, at any level, will be back live, even if it clashes with a live TV game or is being streamed, because they are essentially bored with it. 

When the novelty of a normal life has worn off, then we may see problems, but I think that's a long way off.
    That's why I mentioned people dying off SA. Who will replace them in a totally TV dominated world?  
  • Options
    Need to remember that it was once believed that ANY live football on TV would finally kill the game forever!

But the greedy clubs got their way. After just a few years of showing a couple of live games a week, football became a billion pound industry with attendances higher than ever at all levels.

And 95% of that billion is in the hands of six clubs... 

(I exaggerate for effect - but you get my drift) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hate watching football on TV. I don't like seeing us on TV. That includes valley pass. I would never become (unless medically im forced to) an armchair fan. My brother supports spurs, I think in the last 5 years he's seen them 3 times. 
    He doesn't watch any other live football. 
    I don't get it.

I know there's a lot more to life than football but a Saturday afternoon is the time when life takes a backseat and football becomes the single only focus in life. 
    Great post mate!👍
  • Options
    I agree. Also, I suspect that attendances will be well down for the foreseeabe future except perhaps for the very biggest games. Many will have been cured of their 'live action' addiction ((:>)
  • Options
    I agree. Also, I suspect that attendances will be well down for the foreseeabe future except perhaps for the very biggest games. Many will have been cured of their 'live action' addiction ((:>)
    100%

Likewise with pubs, theatres, restaurants etc.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan and his henchmen seem to be proposing making it difficult or prohibitively expensive for fans from outside London to attend. 

Other cities may have a similar problem too in due course.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Sadiq Khan and his henchmen seem to be proposing making it difficult or prohibitively expensive for fans from outside London to attend. 

what do you mean? 
  • Options
    Wait til the greedy clubs eventually get their European Super League / Project Big Picture nonsense pushed through. I feel it will really harm the game in the lower leagues.

Part of the attraction of supporting a local team outside the Premier League is the dream that one day you could climb the pyramid and be among the best clubs in the land.

Once the ‘big 6’ pull the ladder out from underneath everyone else by having a separate league with no relegations, it will hurt the overall purpose of supporting local/smaller clubs for a lot of young people.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

what do you mean? 
    There's a proposed tax if you drive into Greater London, hopefully it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I don't really see it as a major issue if they televise a 3pm game.

Sky/BT/whoever are not stupid. Once fans are allowed back in stadiums they will know that fans will go to games and attendances will likely be up as people have been starved of going to live football. The Championship is something like the 4th/5th best attended league in the world, and there are a number of big clubs in that league.

The big televised games will still be Saturday lunchtime for local derbies, or Saturday night/Sunday afternoon for other big games. They won't put Man City v Liverpool (for example) at 3pm on a saturday when they know a million people are at other games. It'll be shit like Brighton v Burnley that no one cares about.

I don't think they'll show every clubs games live via streaming either, clubs like us would be silly to do that.
  • Options
     It'll be shit like Brighton v Burnley that no one cares about.

Does that include the Burnley & Brighton fans? :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Boris, his cronies and party donors have convinced me that I shouldn't do that. 

And then there is the greedy profit hungry big clubs. Wince.
    Despite it all, can 'community' football clubs still be viable?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Boris, his cronies and party donors have convinced me that I shouldn't do that. 

And then there is the greedy profit hungry big clubs. Wince.
    Despite it all, can 'community' football clubs still be viable?

Profit and community relevant clubs aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    I think the season ticket for watching the stream is a no brainer but dont tie it to a normal season ticket, if you do that you will cause alot of empty seats. I would happily pay for a stream season ticket as I struggle to get to home games. I go to more away games than home so if I bought a season ticket my seat would be empty most weeks. If the stream season ticket were the same price then the increase in revenue for the club imo would be significant and I really dont think it would reduce crowds as it would be mainly people like me that would buy them
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    It probably wouldn’t work in the U.K. but in the States they used to have “blackout” rules on NFL TV coverage. If there’s not enough tickets sold in the stadiums, the games don’t get shown on TV. Once a certain threshold is reached, then coverage can be made available for any additional demand beyond that.

• Options
    12.45 ko on sky is the same as 15.00 on sky. If I’m going to a game I don’t watch the 12.45 ko. Iiving in Cardiff we either watch charlton, Newport or Cardiff.  So I’m either traveling or having a beer in the stadium with my son.  3pm games on tv won’t make any difference to me. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Wait til the greedy clubs eventually get their European Super League / Project Big Picture nonsense pushed through. I feel it will really harm the game in the lower leagues.

Part of the attraction of supporting a local team outside the Premier League is the dream that one day you could climb the pyramid and be among the best clubs in the land.

Once the ‘big 6’ pull the ladder out from underneath everyone else by having a separate league with no relegations, it will hurt the overall purpose of supporting local/smaller clubs for a lot of young people.

Football and 'supporting' your team has been f***** for the past 20 years.
    I listen to fans(ha ha ha) of the big 6 and they know f*** all about the history of 'their' team, let alone what teams play currently paly in each division.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think the season ticket for watching the stream is a no brainer but dont tie it to a normal season ticket, if you do that you will cause alot of empty seats. I would happily pay for a stream season ticket as I struggle to get to home games. I go to more away games than home so if I bought a season ticket my seat would be empty most weeks. If the stream season ticket were the same price then the increase in revenue for the club imo would be significant and I really dont think it would reduce crowds as it would be mainly people like me that would buy them

Being able to watch a game behind a laptop will gradually dwindle a home support.  The ones not wanting to buy a season ticket will slowly go to less games.  Instead of paying £50 for a ticket and scoff it will become £10 to watch on the laptop.
    Consequently a big drop in revenue, and this is what a business is all about.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Being able to watch a game behind a laptop will gradually dwindle a home support.  The ones not wanting to buy a season ticket will slowly go to less games.  Instead of paying £50 for a ticket and scoff it will become £10 to watch on the laptop.
    If streaming does continue when crowds are allowed back in to the grounds, the cost would have to match that of a ticket to the game. I would expect it to be in the region of £20-25 a game. Keeping it to a tenner a game would be suicide.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

If streaming does continue when crowds are allowed back in to the grounds, the cost would have to match that of a ticket to the game. I would expect it to be in the region of £20-25 a game. Keeping it to a tenner a game would be suicide.
    The only way they should make it a tenner is for streaming to overseas fans. I get people would try to get round it with a VPN, but if you have to register an account with a foreign bank card and address then it should be ok.

But definitely streaming to fans in England for a tenner when a match ticket is 20-25 would as you say be complete suicide for a lot of clubs, especially ones outside the premier league.
  • Options
    12.45 ko on sky is the same as 15.00 on sky. If I’m going to a game I don’t watch the 12.45 ko. Iiving in Cardiff we either watch charlton, Newport or Cardiff.  So I’m either traveling or having a beer in the stadium with my son.  3pm games on tv won’t make any difference to me. 
    I was not thinking about people like us, Welsh. You have to look to the future and what it it will do to future support. Especially to kids who have no football role model in the family to follow.