Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Catalytic converter theft

Just seen a bit on BBC London.  Almost happened to my old man twice earlier in the year.  First time was an hour before kick off prior to our defeat to Reading last season when Oshilaja gave away a penalty in the first few minutes.  We managed to chase them off.  Second time was later in the evening, I wasn’t there, but one of the scum threw the Jack up against his front door before driving off.  Again, they didn’t get it.  He’s since had it welded on.

The people that do this really are the scum of society, the real nasty little s**** that I would quite happily seen put down if I’m honest.  

Some cars are more susceptible to it apparently 

Comments

• Twice now.
    One on a rare car with no available replacement.
    Shocking cost to replace - I'd rather they asked for the cash.
    Utter scum
  • Loads of it going on round here in Chislehurst.

Saw a sign on a road that someone had crudely put up, plywood drawn on with pen, saying "catolytic converter thieves operate in this area." They misspelt catalytic not me by the way, but I can't stand to be one of the arseholes who use "[sic]" as some badge of honour, but that's another conversation. 
  • I was rehoming hens one Saturday and a couple turn up to collect their's - all prearranged. I went off to get the hens and when I came back the bloke seemed to be looking under my van. He said something about an interest in old cars (Mr Tatters one which was in front) but I'm guessing he was looking to see if mine had a catalytic converter. To be honest I've no idea if it has.
  • They tend to go for the hybrid cars as the Cat's are pretty clean, but like all things, they'll nick anything given the chance.

After having a couple of cars stolen back in 2019 I've took an interest int his sort of thing. I probably know of 50 high end cars within a few miles of me being stolen in the past 18 months, including last week the house opposites Range Rover.

It's becoming so common it's getting ridiculous.
  • It seems hybrid cars are very much at risk as they have more of the materials thieves want in their cats. I'm afraid this needs to be a throw away the key crime as a deterrent.
  • Is there actually anything you can do to to prevent it?
  • WSS said:
    Is there actually anything you can do to to prevent it?
    You can get covers that bolt on so they can't cut it off.
  • Sponsored links:

• What do they do with them? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    What do they do with them? 
    They’re made up of precious metals 
  • WSS said:
    Buy an electric car.
    Not a bad idea.
  • bobmunro said:
    WSS said:
    Buy an electric car.
    Not a bad idea.
    Cycle or use public transport. Most have no need for a car in London really.
  • iainment said:
    The story above this post refers to the arrests at 8 properties in Millfields Road. 

The story in this post is about travellers having  houses built for them  on Millfields Road 
  • Happened to our neighbours a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the scum won't be back. 
  • iainment said:
    bobmunro said:
    WSS said:
    Buy an electric car.
    Not a bad idea.
    Cycle or use public transport. Most have no need for a car in London really.

Agreed - although comes in handy in rural Cheshire!
  • MrOneLung said:
    iainment said:
    The story above this post refers to the arrests at 8 properties in Millfields Road. 

The story in this post is about travellers having  houses built for them  on Millfields Road 
    There may(or may not)  be a link, a common MO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Big problem in Sussex as well. 
  • I was rehoming hens one Saturday and a couple turn up to collect their's - all prearranged. I went off to get the hens and when I came back the bloke seemed to be looking under my van. He said something about an interest in old cars (Mr Tatters one which was in front) but I'm guessing he was looking to see if mine had a catalytic converter. To be honest I've no idea if it has.
    It doesn't have one now....
  • We had a serious catalytic converter theft problem at Queen Mary’s Hospital car park in recent times. I haven’t heard that it is still a problem there but thought I’d mention it.
  • Huskaris said:
    They misspelt catalytic not me by the way, but I can't stand to be one of the arseholes who use "[sic]" as some badge of honour,
    It would have been quicker.
    It still works so im guessing there wasnt one in the first place?
  • There were signs up in Sainsbury’s at Crayford warning about this a few weeks back.
    It still works so im guessing there wasnt one in the first place?
    Yeah our neighbours had theirs nicked and when they tried to start their car it made a godawful noise, almost as if a large part of the exhaust was missing 😂
  • meldrew66 said:
    We had a serious catalytic converter theft problem at Queen Mary’s Hospital car park in recent times. I haven’t heard that it is still a problem there but thought I’d mention it.
    Also at Darent Valley Hospital car park.