Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football's Darkest Secret(BBC doc series)

Watched the first part of this on BBC last night and it was a pretty shocking watch. The football authorities have been incredibly negligent in the area of child abuse and it was pretty heartbreaking to see how badly affected ex players are.

Comments

• Yeah only caught the last half hour. Frightening how decent this was really. Late 80s early nineties.
  • Paul Stewart seemed almost destroyed as a person - a huge burden for the players.
  • I missed the start of it, but what i did see of it,  it was incredibly sad to see the damage it had on peoples lives , i think they've done a couple more , its a tough watch, i don't know if i could watch the other episodes, shocking.
  • I watched some of it. Absolutely sickening and very sad how many young, vulnerable, talented footballers and their families this destroyed, and more sickening how this was known by so many but brushed under the carpet.

Well done to the BBC for bringing this to light. I now wonder when the BBC will do the follow up to the British Broadcasting Corporation and the paedophiles that were on their pay role, and why this was also common knowledge but also swept under the carpet. Mainly by their own!
    This.  It would have been better if an alternative, cleaner broadcaster had produced the documentary. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.  As you say, it was common knowledge at the BBC. Back in the 70s, my Aunt, who worked there, offered to get my sister tickets for TOTP. She added, mysteriously to us, "just don't go if Jimmy Savile is on".
  • Various clubs seem to have done little or nothing to protect children - the FA as usual was ineffectual.

• I have a connection to this………..

First up – I was not abused, I assure you – but I was thinking of getting in contact with the authorities at the time the man the subject of the 2nd part of this series was arrested – a man called Bob Higgins https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/05/bob-higgins-charged-child-sexual-abuse-southampton-coach

I can’t remember how old I was – maybe 10 or 11 – but my Dad arranged for me to attend a week long football coaching course in a village called Barham in Kent – it was residential and I stayed in a big guest house

There was 1 other boy who was there on his own – the rest were all from a junior football team from London – we stayed in dormitories

The course was run by Bob Higgins and it was called Soccer Scene from memory – I have photos somewhere taken during the week – the coaching was good, and I got all my Football Association Super Skills badges that week – I still have them – some of the coaches were Southampton youth players

When Bob Higgins was arrested, Matt le Tissier did an interview in the media about being massaged by Bob Higgins when he was a Southampton youth player, and le Tissier recalls thinking at the time that it didn’t feel an appropriate thing to do with young boys

That happened to me that week …. 

We were told after a day’s training that we would recuperate like professional footballers did – we were told to go to our dorms, strip off, and get a towel, and go down to a room where they had a physio bed set up and lots of hot water and soap – we all stood in a line with our towels around our waists, and were called in one by one – I remember standing in the line and being very unhappy about this

When it was my turn, I went in the room, and only Bob Higgins was in there – he told me to drop my towel and get on the physio bench – I refused to drop my towel – he tried to convince me, but I wouldn’t – so I got on the physio bench with my towel still on, and he did a very rudimentary ‘massage’ of my calf muscles for about 20 seconds, and sent me on my way – other boys who went in were in for a lot longer than I was, so I don’t know if anything bad happened to them

I was very pleased to go home the next day I remember 

Given the evidence against him as I read in the press, I decided my story wouldn’t add anything to the case

A lucky escape…………….

I never told my parents

Jesus Christ 😳
    I hope you feel better for talking about it at least?
    That’s awful 😞 

Don’t worry - I’m not troubled by it, just pleased that I stood my ground at the time 

One thing I will say, and this was mentioned in the programme last night, he was a very charismatic man - charming, friendly - you felt like you wanted to please him (on the football pitch I hasten to add !!), so that he would praise you

I will try and find the photo - if I can, you will straight away see it’s him when I post it on here
    I’m very relieved to hear you say that.
    I knew someone who was abused by their teacher in the early 80’s. Part of a ‘train club’. He could never talk about it then. I just hope he found peace.
    It went on far too much back then 😞
  • Sponsored links:

• A real eye opener watching that last night and hard to believe it can actually happen.

No acting at all. Just grown men crying on TV talking about years of abuse during their childhood playing a sport we all love. Sickening.
  • A real eye opener watching that last night and hard to believe it can actually happen.

No acting at all. Just grown men crying on TV talking about years of abuse during their childhood playing a sport we all love. Sickening.
    Terrible to see the damage that was done and how long lasting it is. Like you I'm shocked that it could happen.
  • It must have been a terrible dilemma for these young boys.
    The coaches had so much power over their futures as they could basically say "do what I want, don't tell anyone or your future as a footballer is over".
    I can't begin to imagine how any victim of abuse copes with the mental anguish.  
  • Watching that documentary last night made me physically sick. The missus couldn’t watch it. The suffering those boys went through doesn’t bear thinking about. I’m not sure I can bring myself to watch tonight’s instalment. As for your experience @Lordflashheart ‘kin hell, mate ... shocker 😲
  • _MrDick said:
    Watching that documentary last night made me physically sick. The missus couldn’t watch it. The suffering those boys went through doesn’t bear thinking about. I’m not sure I can bring myself to watch tonight’s instalment. As for your experience @Lordflashheart ‘kin hell, mate ... shocker 😲
    A close call indeed - I can remember he told / asked me to take my towel off 3 or 4 times, and I simply wouldn’t do it

I have also remembered that a couple of the other lads were invited for a trial with Southampton (I was nowhere near good enough) - I wonder if they went / stayed down there etc

As I say, I was tempted to contact the Police, but when I saw the amount / severity of charges against him, I thought what happened to me wouldn’t be of much interest, as nothing happened other than me refusing to be naked - he didn’t touch me or anything like that
  • Obviously as shocking as this is, we (football fans in particular but society as a whole) have to be careful not to say "how could they let that happen" and instead ask "how can we make sure it's not STILL happening."

Yes, things have improved in many ways but these people (I use the term loosely) who do such things still exist. They are still out there. Maybe it's true that it's starting to get "easier" to find and report but surely by the same logic they will be evolving new ways of finding and grooming victims and covering their tracks.
  • thenewbie said:
    Obviously as shocking as this is, we (football fans in particular but society as a whole) have to be careful not to say "how could they let that happen" and instead ask "how can we make sure it's not STILL happening."

Yes, things have improved in many ways but these people (I use the term loosely) who do such things still exist. They are still out there. Maybe it's true that it's starting to get "easier" to find and report but surely by the same logic they will be evolving new ways of finding and grooming victims and covering their tracks.
    Ultimately protecting children must be the first priority - too many institutions have put their own reputation or needs first. 
  • These scum are looking for an opportunity to abuse so if they are given one, no matter how difficult, they will try it. The difference from now and then is clearly increased awareness making it more difficult to get into these situations. But is it 100% safer? There will still be people looking for these opportunities.

For me, these scum should be locked up forever. 
  • NugNug
    edited March 2021
    I played in a team run by one of the accused coaches. He killed himself last year on the day of his trial. I was approached by a national newspaper about 5 years ago out of the blue who told me about the allegations against him and if I had been affected or seen anything, I hadn't. My brother who was 4 years older than me also played for the older team and didn't witness anything. It was a representative team put together from kids attending residential coaching courses run by a very large adventure holiday company, mostly in East Anglia. We would travel to tournaments in England and abroad and they had teams across age groups generally a high standard with most boys attached to clubs or hoping to be. I went to a tournament in Denmark with this coach and the team and he was the only adult with us, we were about 13 or 14.

A number of players went on to be pro and one player in my team ended up a top Premiership player and manager. The coach even came to my brothers wedding. I think it really freaked my mum and Dad out when they found out. Now looking back I do remember there was always one or two boys whose parents were never around and always came to tournaments with him.

First up – I was not abused, I assure you – but I was thinking of getting in contact with the authorities at the time the man the subject of the 2nd part of this series was arrested – a man called Bob Higgins https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/05/bob-higgins-charged-child-sexual-abuse-southampton-coach

I can’t remember how old I was – maybe 10 or 11 – but my Dad arranged for me to attend a week long football coaching course in a village called Barham in Kent – it was residential and I stayed in a big guest house

There was 1 other boy who was there on his own – the rest were all from a junior football team from London – we stayed in dormitories

The course was run by Bob Higgins and it was called Soccer Scene from memory – I have photos somewhere taken during the week – the coaching was good, and I got all my Football Association Super Skills badges that week – I still have them – some of the coaches were Southampton youth players

When Bob Higgins was arrested, Matt le Tissier did an interview in the media about being massaged by Bob Higgins when he was a Southampton youth player, and le Tissier recalls thinking at the time that it didn’t feel an appropriate thing to do with young boys

We were told after a day’s training that we would recuperate like professional footballers did – we were told to go to our dorms, strip off, and get a towel, and go down to a room where they had a physio bed set up and lots of hot water and soap – we all stood in a line with our towels around our waists, and were called in one by one – I remember standing in the line and being very unhappy about this

When it was my turn, I went in the room, and only Bob Higgins was in there – he told me to drop my towel and get on the physio bench – I refused to drop my towel – he tried to convince me, but I wouldn’t – so I got on the physio bench with my towel still on, and he did a very rudimentary ‘massage’ of my calf muscles for about 20 seconds, and sent me on my way – other boys who went in were in for a lot longer than I was, so I don’t know if anything bad happened to them

Given the evidence against him as I read in the press, I decided my story wouldn’t add anything to the case

A lucky escape…………….

I never told my parents

Nothing to do with the characters you mentioned , but your story just reminded me of our secondary school PE teacher who used to wait until PE (whatever it was) finished and all the lads were in the shower, and would just stand their and watch them, he got so much verbal abuse from the pupils, i can remember it like it was the other day, i can see how those footballers on that programme could be scarred for life if stuff did happen, its an abuse of power, hope its not still going on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Desperately sad.

Dont think I'll ever be able to watch a rerun of the '91 FA Cup Final and Semi Final without thinking of Paul Stewart.

Just sad through the second episode of 3, its a proper hard watch.

• Nug said:
    I played in a team run by one of the accused coaches. He killed himself last year on the day of his trial. I was approached by a national newspaper about 5 years ago out of the blue who told me about the allegations against him and if I had been affected or seen anything, I hadn't. My brother who was 4 years older than me also played for the older team and didn't witness anything. It was a representative team put together from kids attending residential coaching courses run by a very large adventure holiday company, mostly in East Anglia. We would travel to tournaments in England and abroad and they had teams across age groups generally a high standard with most boys attached to clubs or hoping to be. I went to a tournament in Denmark with this coach and the team and he was the only adult with us, we were about 13 or 14.

A number of players went on to be pro and one player in my team ended up a top Premiership player and manager. The coach even came to my brothers wedding. I think it really freaked my mum and Dad out when they found out. Now looking back I do remember there was always one or two boys whose parents were never around and always came to tournaments with him.
    Michael Carson ?

Drove into a tree 

Who was the player who made it to Prem out of interest ?
  • So sad, and sickeningly widespread no doubt. We had a PE teacher that would tell the year 7s it was compulsory to shower, and you couldn't take a towel in. He would then stand in the shower room door watching over us with his hands in rugby shorts. Years later he was off school for a few months and came back on crutches and I always wondered if it really was a sporting injury like it was made out...

A lucky escape…………….

I never told my parents

Nothing to do with the characters you mentioned , but your story just reminded me of our secondary school PE teacher who used to wait until PE (whatever it was) finished and all the lads were in the shower, and would just stand their and watch them, he got so much verbal abuse from the pupils, i can remember it like it was the other day, i can see how those footballers on that programme could be scarred for life if stuff did happen, its an abuse of power, hope its not still going on.
    Shit, I just saw this after I posted literally the same thing. I remember it so vividly too.
  • My son went through the Charlton soccer school system, they had an Open day at Sparrows Lane and was scouted to go the Advance School and the idea was that they had coaching and if good enough make the jump to the Academy. He was in the same cohort as McGinty and Woodyard. 

At no time did i have any concerns of the coaches or staff CAFC used, and my son was left it their  care for prolonged periods, Everyone of them were great coaches, and had the lads best interest at heart.
    While my lad didn't make it to academy level, he was given every chance and encouragement to do so.

He is an above average Sunday league player, and looks back on his time with CAFC with some of the happiest memories a boy can have.
  • Nug said:

Attended PGL with assume the same man at Essex University - friend who was a goalkeeper then went to one of his goalkeeping courses (with Ray Clemence as the celebrity endorsement). No awareness of anything happening but not sure what I would have done had I been in a difficult situation - I like to think I'd have had the ability to fend off but you never know - there but for the grace of god and all that..
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Desperately sad.

Dont think I'll ever be able to watch a rerun of the '91 FA Cup Final and Semi Final without thinking of Paul Stewart.

Just sad through the second episode of 3, its a proper hard watch.

He seems really wrecked by the experience - I hope he finds some peace in the future. 
  • Nug said:

Attended PGL with assume the same man at Essex University - friend who was a goalkeeper then went to one of his goalkeeping courses (with Ray Clemence as the celebrity endorsement). No awareness of anything happening but not sure what I would have done had I been in a difficult situation - I like to think I'd have had the ability to fend off but you never know - there but for the grace of god and all that..
    When it happened to me on the week coaching course I was on, Bob Higgins simply asked me a few times to take my towel off, in particular saying that’s what the pro footballers did - I just kept saying no

But you are right - I would have been in trouble if he had been more aggressive / forced himself on me

There but for the grace as you say.....

Im going to watch part 2 of that programme this evening, it’s not going to be nice, but I’m gonna do it anyway
  • Nug said:

When it happened to me on the week coaching course I was on, Bob Higgins simply asked me a few times to take my towel off, in particular saying that’s what the pro footballers did - I just kept saying no

But you are right - I would have been in trouble if he had been more aggressive / forced himself on me

There but for the grace as you say.....

Im going to watch part 2 of that programme this evening, it’s not going to be nice, but I’m gonna do it anyway
    The whole series is on IPlayer - watched Part2 which gave an insight into how they operate. Football needs to pay for proper safeguarding - nobody should suffer the way the victims and their families did.

• Nug said:

Michael Carson ?

Drove into a tree 

Who was the player who made it to Prem out of interest ?
    Yes, that's him, was known as Kit Carson. There were a number of high profile players that he brought through. The one I played with was Tim Sherwood.