Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Victor King - RIP

Comments

• Options
    Two currently on e bay
  • Options
    RIP John. What an amazing collection. 
  • Options
    a few  more rare or unusual programmes found by @charltonnick in John's collection
  • Options
    More of his bequest.

Beautiful 1971 Jubilee "silk" scarf.  Very rare.

I used to have that scarf.

Don't know where it is now. I bet my ex-Mrs threw it out. 

• Options
    RIP John. Amazing collection.
  • Options
    Would really like to find someone that knew John.
  • Options
    RIP to a true Addick.  Enjoy beating the Spanners EVERY game up there!
  • Options
    And I didn't realise that Nick hasn't picked up all of the bequest yet.

50 years of scrapbooks and we don't know what else.

• Options
    RIP.

Looks some collection, I love this stuff and would love to see more pictures.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    RIP.

Looks some collection, I love this stuff and would love to see more pictures.
    I will add some , hang tight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As you can see John took great care with his collection , each season has it's own box file with home and away programmes. Also season ticket books and typed up list of all the games he attended. He travelled home and away and this box for 1972/73 was a mid table 3rd division finish.
  • Options

This picture is just of duplicate copies of programmes , he would have 3 or 4 copies of some programmes. Duplicates the museum will be selling so if you have any gaps in your collection let me know. If it is 60's , home or away we can probably help you out. Slowly working my way through.
  • Options

Also included in the 72/73 box letters from the club.
  • Options

A new sports complex to rival Real Madrid !
  • Options

A few stock car racing programmes as well.
  • Options
    Love these letters and the season tickets.

To rival Real Madrid and Benfica.   What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Those letters are fantastic.

First class ticket to Brighton, seafood, champagne supper and a discotheque all for 2 quid!
  • Options
    If people are interested, I have a number of pirate programmes that can be viewed here Collection: Charlton Athletic Pirate Programmes (flickr.com)

They have made a bit of a comeback due to teams not producing programmes during the last 2 seasons.

We also had a number of CARD produced ones in recent seasons.
  • Options

79/80
    Sad news as we lose our ' important role ' of European representative ! We finished that season bottom of the 2nd division.
     Season ticket prices for 80/81-
    Ground Adult £25 
    Best seat in the house , Jubilee club £70
    Matchday admission £1.70
  • Options
    This guy kept everything !!!

Amazing - a real super fan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is what makes this collection so interesting, to me at least.  The programmes are relatively easy to find but the letters and tickets are, while of no monetary value, far more important to the club's history IMHO.
  • Options

Rail tickets , away travel to Carlisle and letter regarding 1980 open day.
  • Options

This is what makes this collection so interesting, to me at least.  The programmes are relatively easy to find but the letters and tickets are, while of no monetary value, far more important to the club's history IMHO.
    Absolutely agree - I have boxes of Charlton programmes, but one of my favourite items is a receipt from the travel club from booking a seat on the coach to go to Southampton away in 1987 (2-2 draw, Melrose and Lee scoring for us - a very hot day and we were crammed into that crappy away end at the Dell)
  • Options

Rail tickets , away travel to Carlisle and letter regarding 1980 open day.
    I went to that open day with my late Father
  • Options

Annoying for the serious programme collector , 3 different cover shots for the same programme
  • Options
    I wonder if there’s anyone out there who knew John personally and maybe linked up with him at The Valley or on his many away trips?
  • Options
    Henners - shame that family don’t have a photo that could be put on this thread, I’m fairly confident someone on CL would recognise him, even if they simply sat near him in the ground

Worth asking the family again for a photo ?
  • Options

Annoying for the serious programme collector , 3 different cover shots for the same programme
    There are quite a few incidents of this over the years, mostly for away matches. Most recent being Oxford Away in 2019 where the produced a home & away cover.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    There was actually 4 different covers for the Burnley game. Also Leicester away in the late 70’s had four different  covers.
  • Options
    I thought there was only 3 covers for the Burnley game, but 4 different covers were used over the season. I could be wrong though. There have been a number of multi cover programmes over the years and if I get time I will collate them and start a new thread for anyone interested. I have 3 of the Leicester covers but you do not see them very often.