Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Referee cockups - where the referee admitted he got it wrong

edited March 2021 in General Charlton
I was talking about this with a mate and Graham Poll sprang immediately to mind - I’m sure I read once that he admitted he got the handball wrong it that game against Fulham and that he apologised to Pardew afterwards for what may have been a critical mistake that contributed to our relegation.
But I was also reminded of a game a few years ago at the Valley (Powell era, maybe?) where the opposition scored a goal and the ref allowed it, but the ref had wrongly blown up for something before it went in, so after complaints from our bench he ended up disallowing it and was, rightly, very apologetic to the oppo. I can’t remember much more than that - anyone remember this or did I imagine it?
Also, do you remember any other examples where the ref held his hands up and admitted he got a big decision wrong?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Didn’t that bald bloke who did the mad sprints, Roger Kirkpatrick, change a major decision at The Valley? I’m pretty sure it was in our favour which pissed off the opposition mightily. I can’t quite recall the incident.
  • Options
    Didn’t that bald bloke he did the mad sprints, Roger Kirkpatrick, change a major decision at The Valley? I’m pretty sure it was in our favour which pissed off the opposition mightily. I can’t quite recall the incident.
    We might be thinking of the same incident. Not sure. 😳
  • Options
    This’ll be a pretty short thread. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The ‘goal’ against Fulham many moons ago springs to mind! 

Should have been our throw in , last few minutes of the game (Pardews second or third in charge) , ref blows and gives a free kick somehow to Fulham - ball lumped into the box and we concede ...2-2 

had we got those points, we could have gone onto stay up! 

Think the referee apologised after the game, via the radio etc

Edit: footage here! https://youtu.be/Gg8dhXmp7fI 
  • Options
    I was talking about this with a mate and Graham Poll sprang immediately to mind - I’m sure I read once that he admitted he got the handball wrong it that game against Fulham and that he apologised to Pardew afterwards for what may have been a critical mistake that contributed to our relegation.
    But I was also reminded of a game a few years ago at the Valley (Powell era, maybe?) where the opposition scored a goal and the ref allowed it, but the ref had wrongly blown up for something before it went in, so after complaints from our bench he ended up disallowing it and was, rightly, very apologetic to the oppo. I can’t remember much more than that - anyone remember this or did I imagine it?
    Also, do you remember any other examples where the ref held his hands up and admitted he got a big decision wrong?
    There was a game where Marcus bent scored (narrows that down) where the linesman incorrectly called a foul and the ref overruled them, maybe it's that? The oppo were not happy
  • Options
    This sounds like the game at home to Peterborough, the ref blew before the goal was scored but then gave the goal.  The fourth official told him he had to disallow it. 
  • Options
    I ended up hunting it down - it was against Colchester in February 2011. Judging from reports, no public apology from the ref, but I do remember him talking to the Col U players looking very apologetic.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/8826080.us-left-furious-after-goal-is-disallowed/

http://drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.com/2011/02/charlton-athletic-1-v-colchester-united.html?m=1

And here’s the Charlton life post match views:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/39520/charlton-1-0-col-u-post-match-views/p1
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    There was a game where Marcus bent scored (narrows that down) where the linesman incorrectly called a foul and the ref overruled them, maybe it's that? The oppo were not happy
    Scunthorpe first day of the season. 
  • Options
    Trevor Kettle apologised over the horrendous Blizzard tackle on Basey.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/8530449.stm
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    What game was the double bluff from the Ref? Where he gave the foul in our favour, then the opposition favour and eventually I think it was given as either a drop ball or a fk back to us. 

I am certain it was not Peterborough, but we did have the ref that got injured in one of those games? Like a sniper shot him straight in the hamstring. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not one where the ref admitted his mistake but................. 
    did we once have a goal given when the ball actually missed the goal but hit the advertising hoardings and the ball rebounded back onto the pitch?
    I'm sure it happened but as I am old and forgetful I might have dreamt it. 
     :( 
  • Options
    Not one where the ref admitted his mistake but................. 
    did we once have a goal given when the ball actually missed the goal but hit the advertising hoardings and the ball rebounded back onto the pitch?
    I'm sure it happened but as I am old and forgetful I might have dreamt it. 
     :( 
    Yes.  Peter Hunt "scored" it.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Trevor Kettle apologised over the horrendous Blizzard tackle on Basey.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/8530449.stm
    "The tackle resulted in Basey suffering damaged ankle ligaments which could keep him out for the rest of the season, and forced the Charlton boss to sign Notts County's Johnnie Jackson on loan."

Wow. How different things might be for us without that tackle. 
  • Options
    Also, this is on my TikTok feed. Refs admitting mistakes makes for very popular videos apparently. 

https://www.tiktok.com/@bunch_amateurs/video/6931050976057019654?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1
  • Options
    Didn't we score one possibly against Chelsea after the whistle had blown and it was given. I want to say it was Richard rufus?? Or my memory is way off! 
  • Options
    Yes early season game at home, we went two up and eventually lost 3-2.
  • Options
    Did we have someone sent off in that game? Konchesky is in my head.