Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Sat 20 Mar | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 20th March 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction
Monday would see the sun setting on another era at Charlton Athletic, a new manager consigned to the history books who at times frustrated fans and at others allowed us to dream - Lee Bowyer's time though has gone, and today has seen the dawn of a new era with Nigel Adkins replacing the ex-player in the hotseat... Tuesday night saw the Addicks recovering and beating Bristol Rovers 3-2 with a "double Golfie" (affectionately named after our most optimistic supporter) in what would have been an emotional evening for standin boss: Johnnie Jackson.

Its appropriately time to look forward as we turn our focus back on the important job at hand; a return to the Championship

The Opposition
Name: AFC Wimbledon (22nd) | Manager: Mark Robinson
Ground: Plough Lane
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 5-2 AFC Wimbledon

First off I must start this section by apologising to our London rivals, seeing my usual curse has struck.

In this previous outing I commented that the Dons could maybe look to consolidation (and maybe the Play-Offs) in League One after a strong start. Unfortunately normal service resumed around the time they visited SE7 and since their 5-2 defeat at the hands of the Addicks, have won just two games and now find themselves third from bottom, although the relegation battle is just as tight as it is at the top, so a very first relegation for AFC Wimbledon may not happen just yet.

For Glyn Hodges the end of the road came at the end of January and Saturday could well have seen the Addicks lining up against U23 Manager: Jason Euell, thankfully for us he was unsuccessful in his application, Wimbledon opting for long serving coach: Mark Robinson instead... Indeed its been an impressive rise for the coach (who doesnt even have a Wikipedia entry), having joined in 2004 back when the club was in the Isthmian League Division One and worrying about the likes of Bromley and Walton & Hersham, the latter joining Wimbledon in being promoted that year.

Of course it would be remiss of me to not mention that this'll be the first game for Charlton Athletic at the new version of Plough Lane, one of the unfortunate parts of COVID Lockdown is the fact that the home fans have yet to enjoy their new surroundings. For the Addicks on the other hand this'll be their first visit to a version of Plough Lane since Boxing Day 1989, Wimbledon 3-1 winners that day; Micky Bennett grabbing a 90th minute consolation goal in what eventually resulted in relegation from the old First Division.

Charlton Team News
Naturally a new Manager means a potential change not just in playing style yet personnel. With just two days at the club; Nigel Adkins may choose to defer much of the selection to Assistant Manager: Johnnie Jackson, meaning we may see little change to the line up from Tuesday nights victory over Bristol Rovers.

Either way it makes predicting the line up rather difficult, although Transfermarkt claims that the legendary 4-2-3-1 appears to be Adkins most favoured formation, so those traumatised by previous Managers here at Charlton may want to turn a blind eye. In terms of the squad themselves, Chuks Aneke came off the bench and caused more disruption than fellow Striker: Jayden Stockley so may earn a start this Saturday. The likes of Alex Gilbey, Adam Matthews and Ryan Inniss will no doubt have to wait until after the International break before returning to league action.

Amos
Gunter | Famewo | Pearce | Maatsen
Forster-Caskey | Shinnie
Washington | Morgan | Millar
Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Oshilaja | Pratley | Watson | Jaiyesimi | Stockley | Schwartz

Prediction
The home of AFC Wimbledon has never been a happy venue for the Addicks so in some ways its not an easy beginning for Adkins... With ten games to go though there can be no talk of having time to acclimatise, owner Thomas Sandgaard will surely be hoping for a trip to Wembley at the end of the season and this is effectively the last game before we really do get into serious territory, there are just three games where we dont face a promotion rival between now and the end of the season.

We're now five games unbeaten so a benchmark is finally there... Lets see if the players themselves have the appetite for glory.

Comments

• Thanks @ForeverAddickted

It’ll be interesting to see the starting line up, whether JJ is trusted or Adkins immediately puts his choices in to place. 

I wouldn’t have an issue with the same team as Tuesday, but possibly with DJ instead of Millar. 
  • Watching this.  100% again.
  • Thanks @ForeverAddickted

It’ll be interesting to see the starting line up, whether JJ is trusted or Adkins immediately puts his choices in to place. 

I wouldn’t have an issue with the same team as Tuesday, but possibly with DJ instead of Millar. 
    I would guess that to some extent JJ's and NA's first choices would overlap or it's going to be an interesting few months.
  • I would assume Jacko will actually pick the team.  I think it would have been this if Jacko was in charge.

Amos
    Gunter Famewo Pearce Maatsen
                            Watson
          Shinnie                   JFC
                                                  DJ
       Washington
                               Stockley

Not quite a 442 and not a 433 either
  • I hope Adkins does not go for a 4-2-3-1, not because of Robinson flashback horrors, but because I think we need to keep Washington up top running those channels.

Excited to see whatever the team is though and get an idea of the style of play we will look to play. 
  • I hope Adkins does not go for a 4-2-3-1, not because of Robinson flashback horrors, but because I think we need to keep Washington up top running those channels.

Excited to see whatever the team is though and get an idea of the style of play we will look to play. 
    I was going to do a bit more indepth research into three random games from his time at each of Hull, Sheffield United and Southampton as am sure he hasnt stuck to one rigid formation throughout his career - Instead saw the 4-2-3-1 as being his "preferred formation" on transfermarkt so being lazy and it being a bit late (I dont have time to produce a preview tomorrow) I went with that lol!.

But yeah just glancing through his time at Hull alone I would say he's more Lee Bowyer than Karl Robinson in the sense that he doesnt appear to have one favoured formation that he constantly sticks with, instead seems to be the type that'll change it if need be

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nigel-adkins/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/4152
  • Same line up but would have Chucks start for Stockley. That's the only change. Hope we don't mess with the midfield. Need another win. Important game going into the international break. All big games from here on. Close one again but we can grind out another narrow victory. Washington is on fire. Fancy him to score again with his confidence high.

I was going to do a bit more indepth research into three random games from his time at each of Hull, Sheffield United and Southampton as am sure he hasnt stuck to one rigid formation throughout his career - Instead saw the 4-2-3-1 as being his "preferred formation" on transfermarkt so being lazy and it being a bit late (I dont have time to produce a preview tomorrow) I went with that lol!.

But yeah just glancing through his time at Hull alone I would say he's more Lee Bowyer than Karl Robinson in the sense that he doesnt appear to have one favoured formation that he constantly sticks with, instead seems to be the type that'll change it if need be

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nigel-adkins/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/4152
    I did read somewhere that 4-2-3-1 was his preferred formation, though not done much more research into his actual first XI's. Have been looking through old Hull highlights of his time there, and he did like to seem to get it out to the Grosicki on the wings to run at people.

So can imagine Millar or DJ may have a big role to play for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Huge game for us. Need to win before we enter the final international break of the season. Pressure will be on Adkins as most of us will be expecting to win this and win this well.

2-0 win in Adkins first game in the Charlton hot seat. 

Roll on the Adkins revolution.

• Adkins Addicts Win by two goals.
  • Been a Charlton fan far too long to be confident about this dawn of a new era. I’m sure Nads will turn us around but this is Charlton.
    1 - 1 
  • or stockley up top with chucks and washington either side - morgan caskey and shinnie in mid 
  • Only issue with CM is that Shinnie is quite weak defensively, and JFC is better not playing so deep.  But I don't want to see Pratley or Watson in there, so something has to give. 

• For the first time in 7 years I correctly predicted the score of our last game, so I don't think I'll be able to help for a while: 0:3

Hey when was our last game against a top 10 team? Seem like this league is a bottomless bottom...

• edited March 2021
    Can we get 2 new manager bounce wins in a week? I'm gonna say yes. I think the mood of the camp will of dramatically improved. Positivity breeds positivity. 
    I've no idea with the lineup, I can only think that NA will defer to JJ's knowledge of the squad and go with something very similar to Tuesday. 
    Gonna go with a 3-0 win. Morgan, Pearce and Ronnie to score. 
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    Adkins will be like a breath of fresh air on the training ground and give everyone a lift.
    So I'm going for a Happy Valley 
    4.0 the mighty Addicks 
  • Cheers FA

AFC are atrocious, have only won a couple of league matches (one against Wigan) in the past three or four months. If we want to have  any chance of the playoffs we not only have to be winning this game but winning by 2 or 3 to enhance our relatively poor goal difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Could be wrong but I suspect that Nigel will defer to Jacko for this one, in terms of team selection and tactics, with maybe just a galvanising/inspirational pre-match team talk and half time input.
    Either way I expect a continuation of Tuesday, playing with freedom and belief and hopefully tightening up on errors as confidence grows.
    Edit: 0-2 (forgot we are away!)
  • 0-2. Goals win games, defences win championships. 
  • Going into the International break with 2 back to back wins would be excellent.
  • I am not going to predict the line up, will go for a 1-1 draw, feel optimistic with the new man in charge. But too soon and i feel next season is the aim for now, not completely writing off the season but we will need to be faultless from here. 
  • Adkins isn't going to know too much about the team from 1-2 training sessions (although he'll probably watch some of our recent games back on video today), so i'd guess he'll lean heavily on Jackson's opinion for the lineup for this one, then we'll see his own stamp on things after the international break.
  • I would leave Millar out and start DJ ..... Millar needs a kick up the backside ...

Don’t see any changes to system or team .. expect JJ to still pick the line up this weekend 
  • Surely start with more or less the same side as Tuesday and go from there,  it would be great to start with a win with NA and I think we will 1-3 Charlton. 
  • I would leave Millar out and start DJ ..... Millar needs a kick up the backside ...

Don’t see any changes to system or team .. expect JJ to still pick the line up this weekend 
    Hopefully being subbed on Tuesday night was just that

Or an arm round the shoulder. Some need the "I am not upset, just disappointed" treatment.

Knowing who needs what when is the key.  
  • edited March 2021
    Not overly fussed how we set up, but think i'd go with the Karl Robinson special:

Amos 
    Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Maatsen
    Morgan - F.Caskey
    Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - Washington
    Aneke