Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick
    You actually went through his comments that far back !!!

Now that’s dedication 
    It's also hostage to fortune time. We've all got skeletons in our Charlton Life cupboard...
  • Options
    If you want someone to get promoted and consolidate in the Championship there's not too many better out there than Adkins.

Smart appointment, delighted JJ is staying.
  • Options
    One thing I worry about with Jacko is what’s in his contract? Thomas had no choice in Lee resigning due to his poorly written contract. The same could happen with JJ?
  • Options

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

If they sack Adkins it will be the most ludicrous sacking in Premier League history, utterly bonkers.

Ormiston_Addick

Now that’s dedication 
    no, it's on the first page of the resurrected Adkins thread from when he was sacked at Saints.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

• Options
    edited March 2021
    UEAAddick said:

Nigel is a nice-spoken man, he loves to speak and he loves to be spoken to! :)
  • Options
    As it is now confirmed can I be the first to say:

Go Nads. 
    Do keep up, I posted this joke on page 1.  B)
  • Options
    surprised he's on twitter. could be a big mistake knowing that like all clubs we have some right fuckwits on there. 

He spoke well about twitter in the interview, but also said a few things of bad about it to. Maybe he will probably be barely active on it now for the time being
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome Adkins (I’m never calling you Nigel).
  • Options
    • Underwhelmed yesterday when rumours took hold.
    • Got my head around it now.
    • Heard him speak to OG on the website & feel far more optimistic.
    • Only RC (I think) saying JJ is part of plans but assume that's only saying he wont change backroom until season end; but imagine NA will assess JJ alongside the players & hopefully its  a good fit for each other.
    • Overall it (now) feels positive and resolved quickly which is important 

• Options
    Think it's important we've appointed to fit our ethos and plan that Thomas wants and not gone for a bigger or flashier name that would compromise that? no managerial appointment is a guaranteed success at any club but i think you're much more likely to find success if you don't change your approach with every manager. Southampton are a good example for this, each manager they've had starting from Adkins all play similar nice attacking football and share the approach to bring through youth players, even whilst competing in the premier league.

I think Thomas's only mistake in his tenure so far is the mentioning of getting European football at the valley, of course it's the aim but it's skewed some opinions of this appointment (and probably every appointment until TS sells or we do reach Europe) i'd say it's unlikely Adkins would be the man to take us into the premier league let alone further but this isn't what the appointment is for, Adkins is a building block to get us out of league one, either this year or next and consolidate in the championship and then his job will be reevaluated.

i'm optimistic but i think he fits into the club perfectly and we're going to do quite well with him at the helm.

• Options
    He sounds positive enough in that interview and has experience getting promoted from this level.

Wish Howard  ;) and JJ well keeping us in the top 6.
  • Options
    Encouraging interview and not a single 'veryfink. Welcome Mr Adkins. 
  • Options
    This thread summed up, Do your research before you crucify the man. A total opposite from Bows which will A, boost the players, and B, give us exciting attacking football we haven't seen consistently in 2 years
  • Options
    50% he gets promotion with us
    49.5% he doesn't get promotion
    0.5% we go under,  Thomas pulls the plug cos he's wasted too much dough
  • Options
    sholland said:
    Remember Thomas must have pretty limited knowledge of managers over here, if I was to buy a club in North America or Denmark I wouldn’t have a clue who to appoint.

He must of gone to senior management for advice or he has this 5 year plan then he will obviously look at managers who have gone from LG 1 to PL and that would be Wilder and Howe or Adkins, pretty obvious who is the most attainable. They have all achieved his aim in the past. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Ormiston_Addick

Now that’s dedication 
    It's also hostage to fortune time. We've all got skeletons in our Charlton Life cupboard...
    Oh yes - my ones will be after having too much juice, and gleefully typing away, only to get up next morning and read the responses, and think ‘oh Lord Flash’ what the fuck were you thinking, you twerp !!
  • Options
    Really happy with this - welcome Nigel. Not the "exciting" character some wanted, not this month's hot property, but someone respected in the game who has an excellent record in this division. Adkins is thoughtful, progressive, and hasn't been away for too long. Keeping Jacko alongside for now is perfect - if for some reason the manager feels he needs someone else later on at least Jacko will have helped familiarise him with CAFC.

Being a nice guy is no guarantee of success (see Parky) but it certainly makes me feel better about our club. Come on Nigel, you've taken two clubs to highs they could barely have dreamed of - let's make that three... 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Not sure but I trust TS and will get behind NA as he is now our manager. Time will tell. COYR! 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    @Addicktion Looks like I owe you an apology. Can be added to the ITK list.
    Thanks mate, no need to apologise. Off I go... @Dazzler21
  • Options
    Nice to see the club working to a plan: has been set out that they want to be playing more of our own youngsters and for that to be a major driver of club, so they go out and get the manager who (at Southampton) probably had more success with this strategy than anyone else. He is also an experienced guy, which will be an asset when we want someone to build a real structure at the club. Wasn't my first choice, but I can certainly see the logic and he definitely gets my support.
  • Options
    How much mileage can we get out of his name being Nigel?
    How about:

'And even with a Nigel, we're f****** dynamite'
    take a bow
  • Options
    Probably Ged Roddy played his part
  • Options
    Welcome Mr Adkins. Wish you the best of fortune, starting with the chase for a play off place. Seven more wins should do it.
  • Options
    Oh Nigel Atkin, he sorts us out oh Nigel Atkin he sorts us out...he’s got a name of a palace fan, oh Nigel Atkin he sorts us out

im sorry for posting the above but it was either that or XTC’s making plans for Nigel. I promise I won’t post again on this thread. 🤓