Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘And Leicester’....

Maybe there has been a thread about this before, if there has apologies

Back in the Selhurst days and early 90’s (I don’t recall hearing it recently, but I sit in the West, and my hearing isn’t great in a noisy room / stadium) we sang ‘we will follow Charlton over land and sea AND LEICESTER’

I’ve never known why it’s Leicester

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thanking you all 🤔

Comments

• I always assumed it was for no reason whatsoever and was probably a nicked song from someone like Derby or Forest.

used to laugh at the angry gusto some would put into the ‘and Leicester’ lol 
    Every London club sing the same bit, probably a story behind it from whoever sung it first.
  • I always assumed it was for no reason whatsoever and was probably a nicked song from someone like Derby or Forest.

I’ve wondered if it relates to some hoolie incident between Charlton and Leicester fans, probably in the 80’s

I’m sure someone on CL will know the background

But yes - the ‘and Leicester’ bit is quite funny - I’ve been stood next to people at games and they have REALLY gone for that bit of the song
  • edited March 2021

I was told there was a song to the same tune (Land of Hope and Glory) in the early 80s that went:

We hate Nottingham Forrest, 

we hate Liverpool too (and Leicester),

we hate…[insert name of next team you hate],

but ..[insert the name of your team] …we love you.

When this got converted to:

We all follow the [insert the name of your team] everybody kept the ‘and Leicester’ bit as a sort of joke.

edit: as to why it was Leicester I don't know, obviously Forrest were a bigger side then - maybe it was originally a Derby song

Every London club sing the same bit, probably a story behind it from whoever sung it first.
    I know Chelsea sing the same part wasn't aware all London clubs did as well.
  • edited March 2021
    That was being sung at The Valley back in the early 70s.
    I remember wondering why Leicester had been singled out. No reason obviously - I guess it was just meant to be amusing.

Edit: I was obviously mistaken - there was a reason!
  • I always thought it was because the signs on Motorways out of London used to say 'The North and Leicester'

Although I don't think I'd ever seen the signs myself.
  • edited March 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    I always assumed it was for no reason whatsoever and was probably a nicked song from someone like Derby or Forest.

Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham & Palace all definitely do.

Not sure about "the Millwall".

Or Fulham.
  • I thought it was because on away games up north there’s a big motorway sign that says the north and Leicester 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Only went to Filbert street once in late 80:s o think. I recall they had chicken wire between the home fans and where we were in the away corner. At about 2:55 a hail of coins came over the top where there was a slight gap at the stand roof, to where we were standing. No harm done, but it made for a bit of atmosphere
  • milo said:

I was told there was a song to the same tune (Land of Hope and Glory) in the early 80s that went:

We all follow the [insert the name of your team] everybody kept the ‘and Leicester’ bit as a sort of joke.

edit: as to why it was Leicester I don't know, obviously Forrest were a bigger side then - maybe it was originally a Derby song

Correct, we used to sing that in the good old days followed by "your gonna get your fucking head kicked in" whilst pointing at the oppo fans. Then all this ultra shit came into fashion.
  • Only went to Filbert street once in late 80:s o think. I recall they had chicken wire between the home fans and where we were in the away corner. At about 2:55 a hail of coins came over the top where there was a slight gap at the stand roof, to where we were standing. No harm done, but it made for a bit of atmosphere
    Went there in the late 70’s and they had the same chicken wire arrangement. There was a kiosk at the back of the stand and the chicken wire went right up to the counter. Fans from both sides were chucking hot beverages through the wire at each other!

• Arkers said:
    When you get to a certain point on the motorway I think it says the north and Leicester.
    this is correct and why it's sung I believe
  • We all follow the charlton over land and sea 
    we all follow the Charlton on to victory, and Leicester.... was another version 
  • Ipswich was another cage in job . The Ipswich fans were jumping and clinging on with their fingers through the wire. One of ours took his shoe off and wacked them. Some painful faces lol
  • colthe3rd said:
    I always assumed it was for no reason whatsoever and was probably a nicked song from someone like Derby or Forest.

Mate of mine is a Leicester fan and I asked him about it once. He reckons it goes back to the late 70s when there was quite a lot of aggro between Leicester and Chelsea hoolies. Chelsea sang it first and other London clubs picked it up first.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Maybe there has been a thread about this before, if there has apologies

Back in the Selhurst days and early 90’s (I don’t recall hearing it recently, but I sit in the West, and my hearing isn’t great in a noisy room / stadium) we sang ‘we will follow Charlton over land and sea AND LEICESTER’

I’ve never known why it’s Leicester

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thanking you all 🤔
    Brentford fans also sing this. There's a video somewhere on Youtube of their tour to Eastern Germany (when Uwe Rosler was manager) and the Bees fans end it with "....and Leipzig!" 
  • Filbert Street was a proper ground.
    Entrance through some old terraced house if I remember rightly?
  • milo said:

In the early 80's?  .......... I remember singing that in the Covered End in the late 60s.
    There may even be some on here that remember it sung earlier than that, perhaps?

The 'Leicester' bit was much later though, as you say.

• Filbert Street was a proper ground.
    It was.....but became a fairly shit experience when we had to sit in those very cramped, low level seats, along the side. The front row was like sitting in a trench, with just your head poking above the parapet. 
  • edited March 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbvHk4foKg

4 mins 54 secs in...

Turns out I know at least four of the pissed blokes in the video! 

Jolly little accordion tune....
  • Jints said:
    colthe3rd said:

Mate of mine is a Leicester fan and I asked him about it once. He reckons it goes back to the late 70s when there was quite a lot of aggro between Leicester and Chelsea hoolies. Chelsea sang it first and other London clubs picked it up first.
    Didn't Leicester get turned over by us once in the 70s/80s, but claimed it was Chelsea to save face? Now all the wanky Hollie books retell it as Chelsea as well
  • I concur I've heard it's because of the "The North And Leicester" on motorway signs.