Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goodbye and Good Luck Lee Bowyer

edited March 2021 in General Charlton
This season has been a bit of a curve ball, but having had a run since Chris Powell of not having a time where the supporters were united and ‘with the club’, the period from when Bowyer took over gave everyone a lift and restored a bit of love for the club.

Lee Bowyer’s Red and White Army rattling around The Valley was sung with more gusto than for any other manager I can remember, and the Wembley game is unlikely to ever be topped in any of our lifetimes.

So thank you for some fantastic memories Lee and all the best for the future. You’ll get a standing ovation from me the next time at The Valley. 

Comments

• Options
    Sad day when one of our own leaves the club. A popular figure but not legend status. Very grateful for the Wembley day that brought Addicks out in numbers and my family to Wembley together for the first time.

Lee: Good luck wherever you go. Be successful, healthy and happy. Xx
  • Options
    Good luck, Lee. Thanks for the good times, and sticking with it through the bad.
  • Options
    Ditto.

Pompey away in 2018/19 will always be one of my best away days & Wembley a couple of months later is second only to 1998. 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    A sad yet exciting day. Loved him as our manager. 
    I got over and saw a couple of the early championship games last season, and loved the feel he brought to the club, even though RD was systematically eroding the club, and for that I’m forever grateful. 
    I’m excited as I feel this is the right decision for us and him, and I feel we needed a change, and the timing is right so we can look at getting the right man soon. 
    I wish bows the very best, IMHO he held the club together when we may of collapsed. 

LBR&WA

• Options
    Hear hear, I've been critical of Bowyer this season and do honestly think this is good for both parties, but hard to not feel a little nostalgic today. Will choose to remember him for our play off winning season above anything else. Good luck Bow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    When I am just about to meet my maker and my life flashes before me, the play off final will definitely be in the top 3 best Charlton moments.

thanks for that lee and good luck!
  • Options
    Whilst this season so far has mostly been poor I was always of the impression that Lee had been hamstrung from the very start with teh salary cap and the ESI debacle. The amount of goodwill in the bank towards him from the previous seasons I thought was enough to give him a proper pre-season under the Sandgaard era.

Wembley L1 play-off final was one of the best days of being an Addick. Thank for sticking by us through the darkest days Lee and sorry it didn't work out once you actually had an owner in place who supported you. All the best for the future, wherever that may be.
  • Options
    Very mixed emotions. So pleased that Bowyer managed a successful trip to Wembley but sad that he seemed to be well out of his depth when things went wrong. He should have gone at least three months ago.
    I don't think he has the right temperament to be a really successful manager in the long term wherever he goes.
    All the best to him in the future BUT never against us
  • Options
    I do think the time had come, Wembley the obvious highlight for me, so good luck just not against us if you don't mind. 
  • Options
    Thought he did a good job and against the odds got us promoted.  I am sorry he has gone, he new and understood the club.

I wish him every success for the future.

I hope we don't make a rickitt when appointing a new manager.  I have seen to many managers come and go mainly the worst have been those with no understanding of the club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very sad day to be honest. When I saw this mentioned I thought he'd decided to go to Portsmouth, who apparently want him to replace Kenny Jackett.

I guess you have to admit he has done the honorable thing and moved, and although this season has been pretty dire, there was a lot going on preseason which would have influenced the club and the squad. I'm happy to remember Lee on the mictrophone after the Rochdale game as we went into the playoffs, thanking the fans for their support, and watching him in the delerium after the Bauer winner at Wembley. Football can be a fickle sport sometimes.

I hope we take a bit of time now and try to get a manager with a proven track record of good football and success. If results go wrong, I expect people will start screaming for a quick appointment, but we are in position to get someone decent now.

Good luck Lee, and thanks for the many happy memories, and sticking through the problems under the Southall/Farnell crisis last summer.
  • Options
    Good luck Lee (apart from when your new teams play us). Well done for sticking with it through some very tough times. Good time for both him and us I think, and I am pleased it has been his decision.   
  • Options
    Thank you Lee. 
    Nothing but thanks for your services. 
    Sorry to see you go but that’s football. 
    Best of luck in the future. I’ll be standing and clapping you next time you are at the Valley. 
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, in our one season back in the Champ, at the Valley, he managed a team that beat Bielsa's Leeds !! .. (forget the 4-0 walloping at Elland Road)
  • Options
    It was time, but very thankful that he was here in 2018/19, gave us Wembley, and stuck with us through the roughest of patches off the pitch last season.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    While I'm not upset that he's left, for most of his reign he did an excellent job, and I'd rather remember the great times. The 1-0 win at Pompey in April 18 was the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at a Charlton game, for a year and a half there was a great vibe between Bowyer and the fans.
  • Options
    Good luck Lee, sad you can't have a proper goodbye but you helped bring the spark back into supporting Charlton after the terrible years with Roland where many fans lost their will. 
  • Options
    Good luck Lee and thanks for the memories, that last minute winner at Wembley was incredible.

Can’t believe we will never sing ‘Every Saturday we follow’ again..

• Options
    Thanks Lee and good luck 👍🏻