Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 Mar | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Shrewsbury Town
Saturday 13th March 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Declan Bourne

Introduction
Seven points and two clean sheets from the last three games could be regarded as an acceptable return to some sort of form after what has been a rubbish couple of months supporting the Addicks - Whilst our two wins have come against opposition that we should be beating it appears that some type of benchmark is being put together so that the squad can potentially kick on and have a strong end to the season. Form at the Valley hasnt been great this season and was a bit of a relief when we recorded a 2-1 win over Northampton Town on Tuesday night, although it could have been ever sweeter had the Addicks kept what would have been a deserved clean sheet. Of course this recent run though will be for nothing if we dont keep it up; Shrewsbury Town the next visitors to South East London in what is a triple header of back to back games here at what is the home of Football.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (17th) | Manager: Steve Cotterill
Ground: The New Gay Meadow
Previous Meeting: Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Before I commence with talking about the opposition its first worth bringing up Steve Cotterill.

Hired by Salop the week before our previous meeting Steve has shown his Managerial experience at this level by dragging his side away from the relegation zone and into mid-table, just four defeats have been recorded since he took charge so you can ask the question as to how they'd be doing if he was in charge from the very beginning of the season. Unfortunately that doesnt paint a true picture of what has gone on under Cotterill, COVID appears to be playing havoc with the Manager who is currently spending a second spell in hospital after once again contracting COVID-pneumonia... Get well soon Steve.

In his place has been Caretaker / Assistant Manager: Aaron Wilbraham who is better known to Addicks as a (now retired) Striker for Milton Keynes and Surrey rivals: Crystal Palace - Results have dropped of late with two defeats and a draw coming in the last four games yet once again the League table doesnt paint a very clear picture, a number of Salop games were called off at the backend of last year meaning that similar to Blackpool they're three games behind everyone else, in fact three wins out of three, including victory on Saturday could at present take them above Charlton in terms of points total. It shows just how much there is left to play for, and that you cant realistically rule anyone out of the Play-Offs with just under two months of football still to play.

Charlton Team News
Post Blackpool it was confirmed by Lee Bowyer that there would be a player dropped from the squad after a series of mistakes. Given the line ups and substitutions of late you'd have to imagine that Deji Oshilaja is the player mentioned, especially with Darren Pratley taking Akin Famewo's place in the defence on Tuesday night.

Of course Akin was only dropped on Tuesday as a precaution so should now return to the line-up. It means that Bowyer now either has to choose whether to drop one of Ben Watson or Darren Pratley from the team come Saturday or find a way to play them together, one option would be to play both in midfield with the latter able to drop into a three man defence as and when required. Elsewhere and Albie Morgan finally returned to the squad after a four game absense, Bowyer was happy with his performance so could well earn a second start on the trot, although if a more experienced selection is opted for then its either Albie or Liam Millar that you'd expect to see dropped from the starting eleven.

With regards to injuries; Adam Matthews is now the only player on the sidelines and will be absent for up to ten days after picking up a hamstring issue at Oxford - Ashley Maynard-Brewer could now return to the bench having survived a midweek game against Eastbourne Borough, whilst Ryan Inniss is now back in training yet will surely play a couple of U23 games before being seen in the First-Team.

Amos
Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Maatsen
Watson - Pratley
Washington - Forster-Caskey - Millar
Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Oshilaja | Morgan | Shinnie | Schwartz | Aneke | Jaiyesimi

Prediction
Salop showed back in December that they're a physical team so we should expect to see a similar battle to the one from Tuesday night, our run of form after conceding the first goal is well documented so its important that we do score first. From recent games it appears that we're potentially seeing the sort of organisation in defence from earlier in the season which could bode well for the matches still to come... For a while I've felt that the Play-Offs are beyond us, but as I've said a few times after Tuesday night, if we can win on Saturday and against Bristol Rovers (on Tuesday night), we may just be able to start paying attention to other results around us again.

Ultimately lets do what we need to do, and worry about the League table come May.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I guess Simon Webster had to pull out, as he got mentioned on Tuesday night as being the next guest.

Wouldnt it have been Curbs who released Wilson?
  • Options
    Salop is an old name for Shropshire, not for Shrewsbury....

Amos
    Gunter
    Famewo
    Pearce
    Maatsen
    Watson
    JFC
    Morgan
    Millar
    Aneke
    Washington

Subs: AMB, Oshilaja, Pratley, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi, Schwartz, Stockley
  • Options
    Watson and Pratley start and we wont lose , that's not enough but we're more than a match for most of the shit in this league so I'll go for a 2-1 win , will confirm the result once I've studied the team sheet
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Big game this.

They beat us three times in 2018 out of the 4 times we played them. Then we did the double on them last season. 

As we managed a 1-1 last time out, I am going for a 2-1. 

I expect to see us line up like so:

Amos 
    Morgan - Watson - F.Caskey - Millar
    Aneke- Washington

Subs: M.Brewer, Oshilaja, Pratley, Jaiyesimi, Shinnie, Stockley, Schwartz

Personally I'd prefer we go for the following: 

Amos
    Morgan - Shinnie - F.Caskey - Millar
    Aneke - Schwartz

Subs: M.Brewer, Oshilaja, Pratley, Watson, Jaiyesimi, Stockley, Washington

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Just like our special guest, we used to be shite, but now we're alright - 2-0 win

This is the team I hope to see, I'd say everyone in this team is in good form and had a run of games except Morgan. Also really hope we have Millar on the Left this game as he is twice as effective on that side!

Amos
    Gunter  |  Famewo  |  Pearce  |  Maatsen
    Watson
    Morgan  |  JFC  |  Millar
    Aneke |  Wash

• Options
    The reason, well one of them, we have looked more solid in the last 3 games is the opposition haven't been able to stroll through our midfield at will. 

With Matthews injured and Purrington the latest to disappear the back 4 pretty much picks its self.

Against this level of opposition I would pick Watson and JFC then any 2 from Smith, Morgan, Shinnie or Millar. 

Then Washington and either Stockley or Aneke. 

Defend properly for 100 minutes and we won't not win.   We fell asleep during injury time and nearly didn't win on Tuesday, that would have been a travesty. 
  • Options
    Clean sheet is absolute top priority, but fancy us for the win, 2-0.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Pedro45 said:
    Salop is an old name for Shropshire, not for Shrewsbury....
    Its also one of their nicknames... I went with that in the Preview rather than "the Shrews" as its tended to be the hashtag that is used for their games on twitter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrewsbury_Town_F.C.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Lawrie Wilson will be making his Charlton TV's Valley Pass Live debut on Saturday when the Addicks take on Shrewsbury Town in SE7 (3pm GMT).

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6049c15bd15ca/charlton-tv-to-walk-in-a-wilson-wonderland-this-saturday
    Shame Webster has pulled out, but more than happy with the replacement. 
  • Options
    Fascinating insight as always @ForeverAddickted

Personally, I’d like to see Morgan start, think he deserves that as a reward for Tuesday. Out the team for quite some time and to come in at his age and perform like that was very impressive. Also, he’s by far the happiest everytime we score and enjoy seeing his individual celebrations before joining the group hug. 

Good feeling about Saturday, not sure about the score, but think Stockley with a brace to follow up Washington’s on Tuesday. 
  • Options
    Amos
    Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Maatsen
    Watson
    Shinnie, JFC, Millar
    Stockley, Washington 

Another 2-1 win and a few eyebrows are raised again.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Millar has been out of sorts the last few games. I'd give him a rest and give DJ a run. 
    Especially if (like Tuesday for 55 minutes) he's being asked to play on the right
  • Options
    We are all putting our own potential starting line ups and most do not have Pratley in them. Thats just weird when we all know 100% he will be starting lol
  • Options
    Amos pops up to nut in a late corner, 1-0.
  • Options
    Amos
    Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Maatsen
    Watson
    Shinnie, JFC, Millar
    Stockley, Washington 

Another 2-1 win and a few eyebrows are raised again.
    Shrewsbury play a 3-5-2 and are quite a young side. I like this side as they will have gaps behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Yes, let's drop one of our most creative young players after his first start in weeks despite him looking very decent.
  • Options
    JF-C is likely to be missing on Saturday through injury
  • Options
    When fit Albie should always start in our midfield.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Damn. Not seen this mentioned in any of Bowyer’s quotes today. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Damn. Not seen this mentioned in any of Bowyer’s quotes today. 
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-provides-injury-update-with-midfielder-a-fresh-doubt-for-shrewsbury-match/
  • Options
    0 - 1
  • Options
    5-0 to the mighty Shrews
  • Options
    Pratley will get plenty of game time when Watson is suspended. He's got to survive 3 more games without another booking to avoid a 2 match ban