Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our run in fixtures

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I think we’re a club better at chasing than staying put. So at this moment, I’m happy to be one of the teams trying to close the gap with those ahead. If we somehow get points from Sunderland, I think a lot of sides will start to worry about us. Always good to put pressure on others. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Our form over the last 7 games has been play off form (over a season) and we really should have 4 more points on top of that.  That would make it promotion form.

I don't think 4 wins and 4 draws will be enough, we probably need to win a minimum of 5 out of the last 8.

Could we end up beating Hull so we finish 3rd and 6th then have to play them again over 2 legs? 

25 years of history will be undone unless Sunderland somehow finish 4th or we manage to get 5th.
  • Options
    Our results over the last seven are better than play off form. Four wins, three draws. 2.14ppg would be close to 100 points over a 46 game season.
  • Options
    What would be interesting would be to compare tables at this stage. We know for instance that 74 points gets you in the top six every year in the last 10 at least, so do the teams in and around the play offs have so many more points at this stage that may suggest a higher number will be required?
  • Options
    I think we’re a club better at chasing than staying put. So at this moment, I’m happy to be one of the teams trying to close the gap with those ahead. If we somehow get points from Sunderland, I think a lot of sides will start to worry about us. Always good to put pressure on others. 
    I agree with that 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think there is usually less pressure in chasing. The problem for the top three is that one of them will probably miss out on the automatics. Sunderland will probably have more pressure on them on Saturday than we do. None of them can afford to slip up.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    What would be interesting would be to compare tables at this stage. We know for instance that 74 points gets you in the top six every year in the last 10 at least, so do the teams in and around the play offs have so many more points at this stage that may suggest a higher number will be required?

This is 17/18 at 38 games and final standings.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Thing is the top 2 this season are not going to get antwhere near to 98 points. Best they can get is 94, 96 & 97 points, and that is if they win all their remaining games. Look at the top 2 now to the top 3 then.  Currently the top 2 are around 10 points less than in 17/18 & on current PPG it's unlikely that they will get much past 90 points, which means they drop points to teams around them. Comparing this season to 17/18 is like comparing apples to pears. 
  • Options

Thing is the top 2 this season are not going to get antwhere near to 98 points. Best they can get is 94, 96 & 97 points, and that is if they win all their remaining games. Look at the top 2 now to the top 3 then.  Currently the top 2 are around 10 points less than in 17/18 & on current PPG it's unlikely that they will get much past 90 points, which means they drop points to teams around them. Comparing this season to 17/18 is like comparing apples to pears. 
    Well that’s worth comparing in its own right then. Don’t just have to be looking for similarities. It’s interesting to see how different the table of 17/18 and this season is. 

It’s also always good to see us gaining 16 points in last 8 games as we moved from 9th to 6th. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we're going to need to continue our current form to make the play offs. That is 16 points from the last eight matches. That would give us a total of 75 points. As others have mentioned it's been a poor L1 season with everyone taking points off everyone.
    The team are close to full fitness, but my gut feeling is it'll be too little too late.

Sunderland 0
    Ipswich 3
    Plymouth 0
    Posh 3
    Crewe 3
    Accrington 3
    Lincoln 3
    Hull 0

74 points and 7th place.

Imagine going in to the last match against Hull only needing a point.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I think we're going to need to continue our current form to make the play offs. That is 16 points from the last eight matches. That would give us a total of 75 points. As others have mentioned it's been a poor L1 season with everyone taking points off everyone.
    The team are close to full fitness, but my gut feeling is it'll be too little too late.

Sunderland 0
    Ipswich 3
    Plymouth 0
    Posh 3
    Crewe 3
    Accrington 3
    Lincoln 3
    Hull 0

74 points and 7th place.

8 games is 24 points...every one of those games is winnable and that’s what should be aiming for, one game at a time
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Sunderland 0
    Ipswich 3
    Plymouth 0
    Posh 3
    Crewe 3
    Accrington 3
    Lincoln 3
    Hull 0

74 points and 7th place.

8 games is 24 points...every one of those games is winnable and that’s what should be aiming for, one game at a time
    Correct it is 24 points, but in our current form we are averaging two a match. It's unrealistic to think we are going to win the next eight games. @letthegoodtimesroll I would love to be wrong.
  • Options
    I’m just glad that we are in with a shout , although realistically the odds are stacked against us.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    A point at Sunderland would be a bonus. We can lose to Sunderland, Hull and Peterboro and still go into playoffs if we win the other 5, all winnable against teams in worse form than us. They have 6 wins between them in their past 6 games.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Sunderland 0
    Ipswich 3
    Plymouth 0
    Posh 3
    Crewe 3
    Accrington 3
    Lincoln 3
    Hull 0

74 points and 7th place.

The pubs will be open. Hopefully, Hull are already League Champions and will be out on the beer celebrating the night before.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    A point at Sunderland would be a bonus. We can lose to Sunderland, Hull and Peterboro and still go into playoffs if we win the other 5, all winnable against teams in worse form than us.

They have 6 wins between them in their past 6 games.
    They might have currently but might not be the case when we come to play all of them.......Lincoln in particular. If we played them on Tuesday we would be unbeaten in 6, they would be winless in 5. By May 4th I bet the situation will be totally different 
  • Options
    I think Hull we be up and players boozed up pre last game and we will take advantage of that as we will need the points. With a near fully fit squad and lots of options for Adkins to choose from, we have enough to finish strongly. Attitude and organisation were definitely there on Friday. Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    Just like Leeds last year...
  • Options
    I reckon 75 points will just about be enough for play offs but we’ll fall one or two short of that. 7th or 8th place finish for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to pull off one or two impressive results as we are likely to drop some points in the seemingly easier games. Three points at Sunderland would be a good start. Two bad results and it’s all over unless we excel and have a lot of luck in the others.
  • Options
    When we play Hull we need them to be 1st or 2nd with nothing to play for.If Hull are 3rd and need 3points to end up 1st or 2nd it will be well hard to get anything from the game 
  • Options
    This season we have struggled against teams we should beat and done well against teams that should on paper be tough games. I'm happy we are playing the top teams in the run in rather than ones at the bottom. With the marked improvement in attitude that there seems to be I think we will make the playoffs one or 2 of the teams around us will definitely drop off imo
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    AndyG said:
    This season we have struggled against teams we should beat and done well against teams that should on paper be tough games. I'm happy we are playing the top teams in the run in rather than ones at the bottom. With the marked improvement in attitude that there seems to be I think we will make the playoffs one or 2 of the teams around us will definitely drop off imo
    This is a myth, I'm afraid. We've lost to all of the teams in the top 10 except Sunderland and Ipswich. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It was true last season and looked good to continue when we won at Ipswich and at Pompey early on but since then it’s been all down hill against the better teams. Lost to Lincoln, lost to Hull, lost to Peterborough, lost to Pompey, lost to Accrington, lost to Gillingham, lost to Blackpool...

Hopefully the result against Doncaster is the start of us getting back to our previous ways.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    doronron said:
    When we play Hull we need them to be 1st or 2nd with nothing to play for.If Hull are 3rd and need 3points to end up 1st or 2nd it will be well hard to get anything from the game 
    And if we boo Magennis he'll score a hat trick.
  • Options
    Sunderland; Ipswich; Plymouth; Posh; Crewe; Accrington; Lincoln; Hull.

Crazy tough run in.  With the comparatively easier games we have played so far we should be 5-6 points inside the playoffs hoping to hold on.

Yes, we beat Donny which was a great result but the week before we hung on for a point versus AFC Wimbledon.  We are sneaking wins where we win, there is literally nothing to suggest we are about to go on a trail blazing run to the play offs against this lot.

Head says no chance, heart says we bet Sunderland and Ipswich and it all starts to look very much more doable.  Hope the heart is right for once!
  • Options
    A draw will be a good result this week. I cant see us beating Sunderland but a draw is doable. Ipswich I think we will get 3 points the only other game I think we will drop points is posh and Hull. I think we will get 15 pts in the run in. Will that get us into the playoffs though ?
  • Options
    If we beat Sunderland I hope all the players do a knee slide in front of the Sunderland dug out.
  • Options
    It was true last season and looked good to continue when we won at Ipswich and at Pompey early on but since then it’s been all down hill against the better teams. Lost to Lincoln, lost to Hull, lost to Peterborough, lost to Pompey, lost to Accrington, lost to Gillingham, lost to Blackpool...

Hopefully the result against Doncaster is the start of us getting back to our previous ways.
    Doncaster might be a top team in terms of the table but in form they're right down near the bottom, so it doesn't really prove we can beat good teams

In their previous 5 games, Donnie lost to MKD, Oxford and Crewe and drew against Gillingham and Northampton, scoring 2 goals in those 5 matches