Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Criteria For Signing New Players

Given the fact a new chapter has been turned (hopefully) in the history of the club, have we made recruitment mistakes in the past , ie not found out about their character, and taken huge risks ( have we had a choice?) in signing players that we really should never have signed.

So what would you say the mistakes we should avoid , and things we should go for?

For me its ability and attitude, on and off the pitch , as well as their injury record, a lack of due dilligence , always seems to cost us further down the road, and derail our season.

I wonder how often than not Curbs seemed to get it right, and whether TS will be having a word in his ear, before parting with any cash.

Comments

• Well it'll make the dressing room after a defeat interesting if they've learnt that
  • Be immune to "being Charltonised"
  • Passing the height test.
  • Modern football requires players to have pace. You can coach skills, tactics and you can do the research about a players character and their injury records, but without pace the player will always struggle when faced with well organised teams, especially if their players are quicker than yours.
  • Not having previously scored against us loads of times, coming here and playing badly, then leaving and scoring loads.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Curbs' policy of buying a player that will improve you seems to have worked pretty well.
  • Q1. Are you any good?
  • Q1. Are you any good?
    If the answer to said question is anything equal to or better than

Well Ive got two legs then Q2 should be

"When can you sign" 
  • Are they better than what we have got
  • bobmunro said:
    Passing the height test.
    Can’t believe it took 29 minutes! 
  • Forgot to add signing players that are hungry with a point to prove.
  • 3 things for me.

1 the manager wants them

2 he has a plan of how to use them

3 they are better than the ones we let leave on frees. 
  • Can play 3 games in 8 days 
  • 1. Injury record 
    2.Injury record 
    3. Injury record. 

I'm sick and tired of us having half the team unavailable due to injuries. 

I'd also employ someone to oversee our training sessions at sparrows lane to make sure we are not making the situation worse ourselves. 

• Sponsored links:

• A few things really.

Players that fit your system (of course you have to have one first)

Injury / fitness record - no good having a player that is blowing out of his arse by half time and cant manage 2 or 3 games in a week.  I’m sick and tired oh hearing  “we’ve got to protect the player”.  Making 4 changes a game isn’t any good for consistency.

Being better than what we already have.

Id also like us to get our business done early - particularly in pre season. It can’t be good to get 3 players in 2 days before the season starts. Get them in early and give the whole squad time to get used to each other. Appreciate this hasn’t been possible in recent years because of the circus we became. 

If a player we are interested in wants to evaluate his options before signing, leaves it 4 weeks and then decided he wants to sign, that tells me he isn’t truly committed. Don’t blame a player for wanting a better deal or more money but the team is more important than a player who might sign. I’ve always been of the opinion that if a player takes more than a day or so to decide, we should just forget about him and move on to the next one. This is what happened with Matthews. We ended up signing Gunter and then, because Matthews didn’t get fixed up, we took him as well. We really don’t need both.
  • edited March 2021
    Ideally look at whatever criteria SCP had when assembling that title winning squad. Yes we threw some money at it but he got the perfect mix of players together for that team. Importantly he started building it early.
  • The most important thing is for the manager (be that LB or someone else) to actually have a proper, sensible plan. A preferred formation (maybe with one or two back up plans) and recruit to fit that plan.

SCP is a good example of this, we went into the promotion season knowing how we wanted to play and that we had the players to do it.

Wherever you want to point the finger, that hasn't been happening for a long time now.
  • Absolutely agree we need players to fit a style of play we choose.  Look how many players we sign are then not picked such as Jaiyesimi
  • Ideally look at whatever criteria SCP had when assembling that title winning squad. Yes we threw some money at it but he got the perfect mix of players together for that team. Importantly he started building it early.
    I remember in an interview it was said that they set out to get midfielders who could score goals as it's goals that win games.

How many of our current midfielders can be counted on to score? 
  • Ideally look at whatever criteria SCP had when assembling that title winning squad. Yes we threw some money at it but he got the perfect mix of players together for that team. Importantly he started building it early.
    The advantage Powell had is he had played with or against, recently, almost everyone we signed that summer.  Plus he could start planning around this time of year as well as not such a rigid transfer window.

Also I the demand for top league 1 level players will be really high this summer especially out of contract ones.  A lot of championship clubs won't be able to buy from abroad as easierly as they have done in the past for a number of reasons.