Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton | Sat 06 Mar | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 6th March 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Nield (West Yorkshire)

Introduction
According to some in the dressing room "A win, a win, my kingdom for a win" cried Lee Bowyer after another defeat to Blackpool on Saturday afternoon, after receiving blank stares of incomprehension from his dejected players, Bowyer apparantly sighed (kicked his Albie Morgan sitting quietly in the corner), shugged his shoulders and let them have the next day off instead - The rest is of course minor history and whilst the majority of that may not (or may) have happened, and Charlton finally returning to winning ways with a slightly satisfying win over administration suffering Wigan Athletic.

The Addicks travel to an old foe as we stop off at the inn of Oxford United on the way back home.

Ye Olde Opposition
Name: Oxford United (10th) | Manager: Karl Robinson
Ground: Kassam Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 2-0 Oxford United

Everything was fine and dandy when Oxford visited the Valley in October, we were in the middle of our impressive run of form yet as proven in previous seasons; Oxford are a side who have become a bit of a bogey team having recorded three wins and fours draws against the South Londoners in our last League One encounters... Yet Conor Washington and Andrew Shinnie would ensure that the points remained South of the Thames, even a Ryan Inniss red card mid way through the second half couldnt bring our opponents back into the game.

Since then and some could argue that Karl Robinson is lucky to be still in a job, four wins and four draws (out of sixteen games) was all Oxford could manage before the 15th December which left the Play-Off Finalists from last season struggling in a relegation scrap. Yet Robinson managed to turn things around and is perhaps proof of how quickly your fortunes can change at this level; nine wins out of ten have lifted our opponents tomorrow to just a point behind the Addicks, and still have two games in hand.

Thankfully for the Addicks, Oxford's form has stuttered again of late, picking up their ninth win against Wigan on 14th February they've not won since, three draws has seen the Oxford charge slow and will now need those two games in hand even more, especially if the Addicks good away form can continue at a venue they havent won at (in the League) since a 2-1 win in 1998; Clive Mendonca and John Robinson completing a "Golfie" that day.

Charlton Team News
We potentially saw the Addicks going back to basics on Tuesday night when they visited Wigan, Bowyer would put out a team that knew how to grind out a win and rightly expressed his disappointment that the Addicks didnt get a handful more goals, especially after the performance in the first half... Eyebrows were certainly raised come 5pm when it was announced that there were seven changes to the team and given just a few days turn around can question just how many we may see come 2pm tomorrow.

For starters; Jayden Stockley was left on the bench on Tuesday night, this was after being withdrawn against Blackpool due to muscle tightness, he could and maybe should return to the line up after Chuks Aneke was replaced at Wigan with a similar issue - Conor Washington certainly impressed by attacking the opposition from the front and having scored in the reverse fixture may well earn his second start of the week, otherwise we'll maybe see another opportunity for Ronnie Schwartz who is understandably struggling to adjust to England partly due to the current COVID restrictions.

Ryan Inniss is set to rejoin full training shortly yet will need U23 games before making a full return, whilst its expected that Ashley Maynard-Brewer will remain absent having had too many concussion incidents for the clubs liking, its expected he too will return with the U23s before making the step back up.

Amos
Gunter | Pearce | Famewo | Maatsen
Smith | Watson | Forster-Caskey
Millar
Washington | Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness | Matthews | Oshilaja | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Aneke

Prediction
As with any win at the moment its understand that there is caution being expressed from a good many quarters of the Charlton fanbase, we've been in this position before with wins against Bristol Rovers, Milton Keynes and Rochdale to wonder if Tuesday was nothing more than a flash in the pan performance or whether it is the genuine turnaround we've all been hoping for. Oxford have shown in recent months that it is possible to put a run together yet the clock is fast against the Addicks and if we do have any hopes of extending our season, whilst I'm doubtful regardless, it has to happen now.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Amos
    Millar
    Washington | Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness | Matthews | Oshilaja | Shinnie | Jaiyesimi | Schwartz | Aneke
    Would have Morgan ahead of Smith personally and I'd start Schwartz too. Brought M.Brewer back in as his latest concussion leave was a while back now.

Is Pratley back available? He'll no doubt steal one of the bench spots.  

Amos
    Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Maatsen
    Morgan - Watson - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Schwartz - Stockley

Subs: M.Brewer, Matthews, Oshilaja, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi, Washington, Aneke

1-1
  • Options
    fancy us here 0-2 Stockley and Millar 
  • Options
    Got to play the same team, or as close to it as possible again.  Changes for changes sake haven't served us well. 

It's telling that both Maatsen and Purrington are in our top 10 appearances of the season.

I would be shocked if Morgan is even on the bench.

Keep a clean sheet and we will win. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    We won last game. If fit, play the same team and go again.
    Would agree but with a few players feeling it last game, it's the right time to replace those players for this game. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I have a feeling that we might see an improvement tomorrow. The three points at Wigan may have eased the pressure a nad, although I’m sure they’re aware that we can’t afford to lose many more games if we want a shot at the playoffs. But hopefully their confidence has been lifted a little.

At Oxford I’d like to see:

1) a better press, higher up the pitch. 
    2) more movement of the ball. So often players look up and there’s no one to pass to. 
    3) a more positive approach if we go a goal up after starting a game well. Too often we slow it right down, which creates a negative mindset. That’s happened almost every time we’ve led in a match this season (and most of the last season too).

4) a better attitude if we go a goal behind. Someone needs to lead by example and instil the fighting spirit  that we’ve lacked this season. 
    5) Millar is getting marked out of the games, so I’d like to see him switching sides, or making central runs if long balls are played up to Chuks or Stockley. Anything to shake off the markers. 
    6) Amos could bring the ball further forward sometimes. The MK goalie was used as extra outfield player when the ball was with their defence, and it totally negated any press we tried.

7) going forward I’d like to see a different set up and mindset for home matches. Try a different formation. Surprise the opposition. Play on the break more, like we do away from home. Anything but the dross we’ve seen at home since the Wimbledon match. 
    I’m still very, very unsure about Bowyer, as he only seems to stumble on solutions, but if somehow he can turn things round and admit (and learn from) his mistakes then I’ll be happy. I’m not confident that will happen, but I’m still hoping it might. 
    2-1 Charlton, and a big rethink before the three home matches would be nice. 
  • Options
    Can't disagree JS but I'm not sure if half the side is up to the job, it's a difficult game and hopefully the boys will perform. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Amos
    Millar
    Washington | Stockley

Would have Morgan ahead of Smith personally and I'd start Schwartz too. Brought M.Brewer back in as his latest concussion leave was a while back now.

Is Pratley back available? He'll no doubt steal one of the bench spots.  

Amos
    Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Maatsen
    Morgan - Watson - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Schwartz - Stockley

Subs: M.Brewer, Matthews, Oshilaja, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi, Washington, Aneke

1-1
    Pratley had a two game suspension
  • Options
    6-0 to Oxford
  • Options
    This is a game where I fear we could get a real hammering. 

Hope I'm wrong 
  • Options
    Oxford are a very good side , but I think we'll edge it 2-1 . JFC and Washington on the scoresheet. 
  • Options
    Oxford are a very good side , but I think we'll edge it 2-1 . JFC and Washington on the scoresheet. 
    We seem to lift our game against the better teams, Portsmouth we were shite but Peterborough we werent
  • Options
    We seem to lift our game against the better teams, Portsmouth we were shite but Peterborough we werent
    Sadly we lost both :/
  • Options
    Here's Karl's pre-match waffle: https://www.banburycake.co.uk/sport/19137208.karl-robinson-gains-perspective-coronavirus-pandemic/

Basically, he's not going to complain about Oxford's injury situation because it's not really important in comparison to coronavirus. Very magnanimous. I sooooooo desperately hope that we beat them, as you just know that the first thing he'll complain about post match is their injury situation.

The following does cause me to be pessimistic though:

"Robinson said: “We’ve limited five-a-side minutes and we’ve got no 11v11s.

“I love coaching, so it’s a really bitter pill for me to swallow, but I think it’s the right thing to do.

“It’s about playing at this moment in time, it’s not about the coaching."

We started playing out of our skins as soon as he stopped coaching us, so I'm expecting Oxford's players to similarly benefit from listening to less of his shit over the last few days.

Please, please, please can we beat this blubber-mouthed twunter.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I know it doesnt count for much but think if the players had cut out the mistakes we'd have beaten Peterborough

Portsmouth they just completely out played us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oxford 2 - Charlton 1
  • Options
    I think we'll beat them and the punters in the Valley Pass studio will go into a manic loop just saying "We're on a run" and occasionally shouting "playoffs".
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I know it doesnt count for much but think if the players had cut out the mistakes we'd have beaten Peterborough

"If we just cut out the rubbishness" as Bowyer put it... If no one made any mistakes every game would be 0-0
  • Options
    Think we’ve run out of his kids being pro footballers after tomorrow, so this’ll be his last game. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

"If we just cut out the rubbishness" as Bowyer put it... If no one made any mistakes every game would be 0-0
    Yeah but Peterborough was one of the, actually very, few games where individual mistakes have cost us.  Most of the others have been shit performances compounded by more mistakes. 
  • Options
    We are utter rubbish.

One goal better than the worst team in the league but only just.

Oxford 3-0 and another ten quid saved. 
  • Options
    Think we’ve run out of his kids being pro footballers after tomorrow, so this’ll be his last game. 
    Luckily his boy is out injured.
  • Options
    Bowyer owes Robinson for getting his start in EFL coaching/management. Let's hope Bowyers team tomorrow does nothing to repay the debt .. an unconvincing 1-0 win against the bottom club has not meant a recovery of form so far as I am concerned. A win tomorrow might indicate that Bowyer has selected a team and a set of tactics that might just get us back somewhere close to the play off places.
    Oxford are not in very good form a t m and I expect us to get at least a point and I am (of course) hoping for a win. Get Stockley and Purrington back in the team

Oxford United 1 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    Thank you for the preview (you have at least 1 dedicated reader :smile:)

Last time we went there, we were in great form, played crap, and they beat us.
    Hope the reverse is true this time.