Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley

Up into the play-off spots. Shows how thin the dividing line between success and failure is. 

And emphasises the importance of being in the Championship. With a small well managed squad there’s always a chance of getting on a run and sneaking sixth place. And then who knows what can happen..

Comments

• Options
    Was looking at the table this morning - Be interesting if they end up against Brentford either in the Semi-Finals or Final. Barnsley have a decent record against them of late, whilst Brentford are historically the worst team in the Play-Offs.
  • Options
    Up into the play-off spots. Show how thin the dividing line between success and failure is. 

And emphasised the importance of being in the Championship. With a small well managed squad there’s always a chance of getting on a run and sneaking sixth place. And then who knows what can happen..
    And of course ALL of your players fighting relegation together.
  • Options
    Good luck to them always had a soft spot for them after our 1981 promotion....however their 94th minute offside goal on the last day didn't help us....we would have stayed up this year.
  • Options
    My best mate is a Barnsley fan and he cannot believe the turnaround from last season. To be fair they went on a good run then too, but shows what a great job their manager is doing. 
    For his sake and to give belief to many other clubs, I hope they go up this year via playoffs. 

It is indeed a fine line between success and failure as @kinveachyaddick said. Let's hope we get to emulate that in the not too distant future. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    They’ve been superb over the last few months. When Struber left, their fans were very worried but Ismaël arrived he has transformed them into a brilliant and superbly hardworking side. 

They’ve done what a fair few teams have done to us this season. Pressed the ball really high, given no time to opponents defence, worked harder and just wanted it more than their opponents.

What Ismaël has done better than any manager in the football league is adapt to the five subs rule. He’s often used them all by the hour mark. I am sure that could backfire occasionally but it’s interesting to see how many games where that extra energy off the bench has made a positive difference to them.
  • Options
    An exceptionally well run club whom are near enough self sufficient despite having one of the richest owners in football if I recall correctly.  Football needs a fairytale like that rather than a Bournemouth funded by dodgy Russian money and over spending or a Palace knocking all their creditors before getting promoted.
  • Options
    Their good run started the same time our grim run started too....from last season! 

• Options
    Terrible timewarp town populated by terrible people. I hope they miss the play-offs on the last day and return to being relegation fodder next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Terrible timewarp town populated by terrible people. I hope they miss the play-offs on the last day and return to being relegation fodder next season.
    Reading between the lines, I’m getting a vibe that you don’t like Barnsley 😂
    Probably got stuck on a train there for hours on end 😂
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    I guess you had a bad experience there? Twice I have been and both times the locals were very welcoming. 

I don't blame them for the result on the last day, I blame Brentford.  
  • Options
    Very fine margins. Barnsley were in the relegation zone every week from 15th September until the 91st minute of the final game of the season and survived. We were in it for one week all season and went down. Even then we were all reliant on Wigan's owners playing silly buggers and getting them a points deduction, which they very narrowly failed to overcome by being unplayable geniuses for the last 8 games. We needed Wigan, because Luton managed to randomly improve despite looking cut adrift and won their final game against Blackburn via two own goals and a penalty. They had one shot on target and won 3-2. Barnsley stayed up via two injury time goals against two teams who were in the top 6 at the time, both of whom bottled it right at the end. Sometimes the world is just against you.
    It's been an interesting season for Barnsley. They had to get a new manager in because their one left for New York RB, which was a bit of a kick for them at the time as they'd bought into his methods wholesale and signed a few Austrian players to suit him. They brought in another manager from the Austrian league to carry on and it's gone great. It's a bit mystifying looking at their squad, but teams have seasons like this in the Championship sometimes, like Hull, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Palace. I wouldn't bet against them to dark horse their way through the Play-Offs.
  • Options
    Bastards should have been relegated. Won last game of the season with a "goal" that was well offside. 
    To be fair Wigan only finished below us because of their 12 point deduction for going into administration which, let's face it, we weren't dar off doing ourselves. Plus, of course, Wednesday's deduction was reduced to 6 points and had that happened to them again we would have finished below them.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MrLargo said:
    I guess you had a bad experience there? Twice I have been and both times the locals were very welcoming. 

I don't blame them for the result on the last day, I blame Brentford.  
    Agreed. My Dad's best mate Doug, was from Barnsley and I stayed up there a bit when I was a kid. Absolutely brilliant experience. 

As an aside for any horse-racing fans, the mate in question went on to own Badsworth Boy, who was a star at The Cheltenham Fesitval in 1983, 1984 and 1985. Dad and all the pit-lads were lumped on that day in 1983. Lovely footage of Doug patting Badsworth Boy on 7.50 on the Youtube video. Every time we played at Barnsley, I would stop off at the farm and give Badsworth Boy a sugar-lump and Doug would give me a couple of season-tickets so we could sit in the main stand. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fem1F3_HagA 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Only been there once we lost 1-0 in the early 80's...I know the guy who scored the winner was an ex dustman cant remember his name (edit Colin Walker). As we left the ground the Barnsley faithful were having a pop at us, when we retaliated the old bill came in and just waded in on us, to my surprise the Barnsley lot sided with us against them.
  • Options
    So is Hull. 100% better than it was ten years ago.

Some superb restaurants up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to them always had a soft spot for them after our 1981 promotion....however their 94th minute offside goal on the last day didn't help us....we would have stayed up this year.
    That and our disallowed goal for offside against Wigan or Reading when it wasn't offside. 

Makes you wonder if football  is so altered by officials incompetence,  why bother.
    think it was more to do with our managers incompetence when it came to trying to see a game out.